User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by ScottJames View Post
    Yeah the 3 types I mentioned are likely candidates for both 4 and 5. INFJ shades a little more to 4 and INTJ/INTP a little more to 5.

My guess is that this would resonate for you. True? http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeFive.asp

My intuitive hunch is that you're an INTJ and if this is actually a bit of an issue with you it might be a sign that you're staying too much in your preferred realm (introversion) and not engaging enough Te (effectiveness/externally verifiable results/efficiency, etc.) to levarage your Ni to it's potential in the outside world.

Of course this is pure speculation based on little info - I just like to test my intuition some times.
    Okay, I've read 4, 5, 7 and 8 Enneagrams at that site you've linked me to, as I relate at least a little to their keyword descriptions.

Type 4: First 15 seconds made me think "I misunderstood the description..." The lines quoted below made me think so, therefore I stopped reading and closed the page. I couldn't relate to that.

The Sensitive, Introspective type:
    Expressive, Dramatic, Self-Absorbed, and Temperamental

Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance
    Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an
    identity)
    Type 5: Perceptive, innovative, secretive about certain things, isolated - depends on what the writer meant, as I see that word as having the same meaning as secretive.

I have no fear of being useless to someone (I don't care), I don't have a fear of being helpless as I don't care about helping others, I don't fear of being incapable as I know that I (as well as most others with proper motivation, and for some, guidance) are capable of anything.

I do want to be competent in what I want to do, but if I do want to do something, I get competent at it. Usually in a rather short period of time. So I don't think it's exactly the same... I think it's supposed relation is more to a particular situation, position, profession. I don't have that desire.

Key motivations... Well, I definitely like knowledge, but not in a way as someone I know online, two INTPs. He has a huge library and is constantly reading books about various things. I'm MUCH more picky and I don't usually read about something until I need it. Exceptions occur from time to time. Since I could somewhat relate to them, I continued reading their description.

At first I could relate to the "question how things are/work" and the distrust in the established rules and others, but then things got more intense. The part about them taking notes, listening to the wind, contemplating like that... I couldn't relate to it. It's too "heavy" for me. I don't like "stopping and smelling the flowers," as much as I hate this saying, I'm not a native speaker and can't think of another one. I also don't want to explain things to others, nor do I want affirmation as in "I know my thing."

As I continued reading, I also couldn't relate to the part about not being interested in already established things. I like questioning them if they don't make sense to me. I often think of what I think is "better" for the established things. I do like unusual things though. However, I do not seek to be good in one particular thing. In fact, let me give you an example: I often meet people who are good at what they do (programming, driving, teaching, etc.) but they don't know anything about the usual every-day things. My family member is an artist, he's great at it (or was until he got old, now he only thinks he is), but he doesn't know anything about anything else. The worst part is, he thinks he does. I see him as a very stupid person, and I see people like that (another family member, doesn't know how to use his mobile phone for anything else but calls and messages after having it for over 5 years), irrelevant if the "worst part" is existent or not.

I also don't have the fear that my ideas are "too conventional." I don't seek to be "different," I see to be myself, whether that part of me is conventional or not. However, I can relate to the "no physical activities!" part, but not to THAT extend. While I do not like sports, I do not avoid physical problems. For example, I'd noticed that my level of stamina has significantly decreased since I was a kid and I'm able to run for very short period of time. I thought I wouldn't be so due to the fact that I can walk over 20km and not be tired. Now I'm going to do some running whenever I have the possibility to increase my stamina.

And speaking of physical things, I desire to fill my physical needs, I'm not okay with only mind activity. I want money to buy stuff that would make my life more comfortable, and if I could do so, I'd be constantly upgrading the quality of my life through purchasing more advanced technologies, better food, etc..

Could relate to Level 1-4 for more than 50%.

Type 7: I like being busy, however I wouldn't say that I'm spontaneous. I also don't think that I like variety in the way it is meant here: I like a lot of things, but I don't want to constantly get bombarded by different things. For example, if I'm playing a game and it's interesting (quality game that I'm enjoying), I wouldn't play another one until I've completed it (assuming it's an enjoyable and quality game), or I'm bored of it (assuming it's of lower quality and less enjoyable game). I'm versatile when speaking about being able to do something if I want to do it. I'm not too scattered, though it happens on some days. I am not interested in acquiring fancy and costly things, but I am interested in making my life as comfortable as possible, which could mean buying very costly food or technologies.

The rest... I started reading it, but it seems that it's most applicable to ES types - wanting physical things, experiences, adventures, etc.. Being enthusiastic about everything... No, I cannot relate to that at all.

Type 8: Powerful, dominating - well, depends on how you define it. I'm definitely not the fat boss shouting at his employees... I'm quite confident in most things and in my opinion since I think it through. I am aware if I haven't thought about the subject yet, and therefore I'm aware of the fact that I cannot be confident about it since I don't know much about it; which means that it's relevant to if I know what I'm talking about (if we're talking about quantum physics for example). I'm decisive as in having my own opinion formed entirely by my mind based on facts and logic. Willful - I do think about the consequences and effects before doing what I do - why would I do something if I wouldn't know the effects? That's impulsiveness, which I am not like. I'm also confrontational as in resolving the issues, as described throughout a whole thread of mine, the first one I've created here, excluding "hello" topic.

I'm not in fear of being controlled or harmed by others, since I am aware if this is happening. Of course there will be cases where I won't be, but I haven't met a person who would be able to do so without me knowing that he's trying to control or harm me.

My desire isn't to protect myself (...against what? Is there someone out there? Last time I checked I'm not on the island from Lost. ), it is to express myself. Obviously to control my life as well, and it's logical to do so - the alternative is to be controlled, which is not appealing at all.

Since I could relate to some things, I continued reading.

I am not sure how to define a challenge, the term is very relative. To me, I do what I want to do, and I have reasons for the things I want to do. However, when I think of "challenge" I think of the people who think "now I'm gonna stop eating sweets for 30 days," which is essentially stupid in my mind; my first question is "why is it a challenge?" and second is "why?" Although my first question to the person would be "why?"

I am good at persuading, but I see it just as one of the things that I can do, which, essentially, can be anything; the important thing is for me to want to do it. I wouldn't go to a far extend, like it's portrayed in some movies, for example selling merchandise. I can pretend that I believe in the company, etc. and persuade someone to buy it, but I prefer not to, as I don't believe in it, which means it wouldn't be me expressing myself, it would be me lying. And speaking of merchandise, I see learning the characteristics of it as pointless and boring (I was offered a job to sell body care supplies and refused to do it).

I do have significantly higher willpower than anybody I've met. Some of them may be considered as having higher willpower than the others, but essentially it is stubbornness that is revealed if the conversation continues.

I'm also unsure what vitality means in this context. I think it's tied with willpower, in which case I've high vitality... But I think I'm going to the wrong direction with the understanding of this word here.

I do keep the environment from hurting me as much as it could, but isn't that's what everybody does? Who likes being hurt...

I have a feeling that somewhere it is implied that 8s like physical strength, which I don't. Persistence - persistent people can be very annoying to me. I am persistent only to a reasonable extend that I realize may bear some result. Endurance - I think it's tied with willpower.

I do not like others to have power over me, but that is intuitive - I want to do what I want to do, which essentially contradicts with someone having power over me. I have a friend who, even though his parents are real nice (according to him too), rich and offer him to live at their house, moved away to a shitty apartment with a crappy job. I would never do that, according to me, it is irrational - why live a worse life than you can live? To me, that seems like insecurity about being controlled by others (his parents let him do anything, not go back home, get back 6am, etc., the thing he doesn't like is the fact that the money isn't his).

I do not care (but am aware) what others think about me, I don't give in to "social conventions" (for example, someone, who persuades everyone else he knows, isn't able to persuade me to go out if I don't want to).

I'm not afraid of being hurt emotionally (because if I am, I get out of it very quickly, not by burying it like some people do), but am afraid to be hurt physically (who doesn't? Would YOU want to go to a hospital with a broken leg?). I also do not maintain good health as in muscle, etc.. I do have an athletic bone structure, but my muscles aren't being worked on and I hate any sports or working out. I don't do it unless it's necessary (hence the running example earlier, currently I have a need to be able to go home in a short period of time, so I need to have higher stamina). I've always been very bad at anything they did in the sports class and never played basketball or any other sports with the others. I've also never been in a fight.

The example: "I don't understand what my family is complaining about. I bust my hump to provide for them. Why are they disappointed with me?" isn't applicable to me. I do understand what's wrong and I do literally laugh at the characters in the movies who think that providing money is everything a family needs. That's ignorant and closed-minded. I had never had a thought like this. The same logic goes for any other example that is similar to this one.

I don't have any trouble admitting my vulnerabilities to myself. Others, I'm okay with that too. I would have absolutely no problem with someone saying "you suck at math" or something like that. Chances are, I'd already know that I suck at it, by the way. In fact, I do not understand people who have trouble with this - they are insecure to a... High point. Overly-insecure and overly-emotional.

As for being a natural leader - if I care about it, sure. If I don't care about it, I wouldn't choose to be a leader, instead I would prefer to not be involved. Example: 5 people are given a project at school, they are organizing and doing things. I sit and think about something less boring and would prefer if they wouldn't ask me to do anything, and if they do, chances are that I'll persuade them that I have no proficient skill to do it (cutting paper slowly, poor handwriting, can't draw, tired, not creative, don't know the subject, etc.). However, if they all sit in silent and either don't do anything or do stuff for themselves, since I don't wanna do it, I will organize them and make them do the project (in this case, I utterly hate if there's 2 friends talking about something). If it's a project that I am interested in (say I'll get $1k when it's done, or I'm creating a video game with a team), I'd willingly take the leader's position and see that it would be done correctly and the end-result would be as good as it has to be.

Could not relate to any of the "levels" more than 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Well I'll try to make my statement more general then. If you find yourself looking at something a lot or even obsessing over it, you simply have an interest in it. How is this related to MBTI?
    If it's the same thing, the you are correct. If it's different things, then no. I never look at the same thing over and over again. I never think that I need one particular thing. I find this kind of behavior... Dull.

Haha yes, I'm aware of this actually, being a bit of a computer nerd myself. However, I prefer laptops, so there is sadly much less room for customization. :/
    I'd like a laptop only as a side-gadget. Something I'd take when going somewhere where I would have at least half an hour to use it. Otherwise, a desktop PC is MUCH more powerful for any task, and I'm interested in a lot of tasks requiring a lot of processing power. Plus no wireless, which may have a negative effect on your health.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    I don't have much money and I want to have quality things: clothes, cars, house, etc..

Sometimes I feel the need to check out news, reviews, stores, forums, and especially performance benchmarks of various things to see how much it would cost me and what it would look like if I'd have the money to buy it. Since I use the computer a lot and my PC is old, mostly it is hardware that I'm looking at - assembling a PC with no intention of buying it. Sometimes it's other things, like looking up how much quality clothing would cost me, quality food, medical examination, etc..

I'm not sure if this is planning or not, as I am not planning what to buy. I'm just looking up how much it would cost me to buy it, how much money I need to buy it, how much money I need to live more comfortably.

Can this be appended to some personality type(s)?
    I know a couple of STJs who are alot like this.

But like @DisneyGeek said, I don't think overall it's very type related.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I know a couple of STJs who are alot like this.

But like @DisneyGeek said, I don't think overall it's very type related.
    The STJ that I know cares only about immediate things being of "reasonable" quality, and he isn't too friendly with change nor new technologies (even computers, and he's 50), he prefers... Simpler things. By reasonable I mean quality/price ratio. Basically that includes a change of furniture when he's 45 (25 years of living alone) and a renovation at the same time, a new car every 5 years (beats changing the old parts) and the same 2-3 kinds of quality food. He doesn't want to change anything, doesn't like new things, doesn't want to spend more money than he thinks the item is worth. And besides, if an item he used to use was good according to him, why not buy the same one after it's broken?

So yea... At least this ISTJ doesn't do "different" or "change." May be different if you meant ESTJs, I don't know one.

your resident asshole

The STJ that I know cares only about immediate things being of "reasonable" quality, and he isn't too friendly with change nor new technologies (even computers, and he's 50), he prefers... Simpler things. By reasonable I mean quality/price ratio. Basically that includes a change of furniture when he's 45 (25 years of living alone) and a renovation at the same time, a new car every 5 years (beats changing the old parts) and the same 2-3 kinds of quality food. He doesn't want to change anything, doesn't like new things, doesn't want to spend more money than he thinks the item is worth. And besides, if an item he used to use was good according to him, why not buy the same one after it's broken?

So yea... At least this ISTJ doesn't do "different" or "change." May be different if you meant ESTJs, I don't know one.
    Giving one example of one ISTJ you know isn't a good representation of all ISTJ's. Besides, as we get older we generally get more set in our ways. Your ISTJ looks like a good example of the Hank Hill ISTJ (minus buying a new car, of course). My ISTJ dad has some similar tendencies to the ISTJ you know, yet not all. He is not the smartest when it comes to money, as he always talks about spending money on silly and rather pointless things. My ISF mother has to handle the finances. STJ isn't always reasonable, although it tries to be/may think it is.

Anyway I forgot what my point is. What were we talking about? Something about how something doesn't correlate with personality? GAH! I don't remember.

your resident asshole

Giving one example of one ISTJ you know isn't a good representation of all ISTJ's. Besides, as we get older we generally get more set in our ways. Your ISTJ looks like a good example of the Hank Hill ISTJ (minus buying a new car, of course). My ISTJ dad has some similar tendencies to the ISTJ you know, yet not all. He is not the smartest when it comes to money, as he always talks about spending money on silly and rather pointless things. My ISF mother has to handle the finances. STJ isn't always reasonable, although it tries to be/may think it is.

Anyway I forgot what my point is. What were we talking about? Something about how something doesn't correlate with personality? GAH! I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post

That's why I said that it's only one ISTJ.

Anyway, xSFJs that I know are horrible with finances. Buying stuff they don't need and can't afford, at the end of the month complaining that they don't know "how they are going to live" the next 1-2 weeks... To be perfectly honest, I find that pathetic... Never said anything, can't yet. No point, useless, even potentially harmful to me.