User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default Why are people always stuck on one dichotomy?

In so many cases, people are always stuck on one dichotomy; most commonly S/N or J/P. Why is this?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    In so many cases, people are always stuck on one dichotomy; most commonly S/N or J/P. Why is this?
    That's funny -- the worst to me always seems to be the T/F.

I'm not sure if it means anything. If a function is heavily preferred, it's easier to recognize; if not, it's harder.

Usually people have at least one function pair where they are clear on what they are... and often more than one. Because they have to focus on SOMETHING or take at least one good approach to life.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    In my case, I'm not really stuck on one dichotomy, but I test very close on T/F, although I would like to be F more than I'd like to be T (it sounds better), so that's what I call myself.

My guess is that people are usually stuck on the one dichotomy where they feel closest to the other side. Since the system isn't absolute, there is room for shift between the 16 types, so they may feel caught between two similar types, especially in IxTP's case, or in INxJ's case. Those two make sense to me. S/N I could understand in many cases, but J/P confusion has me at a loss. They're completely different functions. INTx and INFx are practically meaningless. People really shouldn't be confused on that one, in my opinion. J's and P's think in radically different ways.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Haha, I'm still not sure about being E/I!

Clearly it can be any dichotomy we're unsure of.

EDIT: And I know more than a few people who are quite clearly their type... I wouldn't even know where to begin with deciding which dichotomy isn't clear. So it's just some of us who agonise about it repeatedly.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    yupp

for me it's T/F after describing INTP and INFP my dad commented that I could be INTP but I'm farily certain I use Fi more then Ti. But their is a small chance I'm actually a T.

But I think it depends which function you are more towards the center on as to which dichotomy you get stuck on. Though I could be wrong.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

S/N is the biggest change to any type.

An ISTJ is NOT an INTJ. An ESFP is NOT an ENFP. Completely different, autonomous entities. People get the most confused by that distinction because they erroneously believe that to be Intuitive means "no pleasure in the senses" and Sensing means "no gut instinct" or "no whimsy".

As to the J/P - again, I think it's a matter of internalized confusion. I'm a strong J, but I like, due to conditioning and due to being raised with a P twin, the ability to change my mind. Does being a strong J mean I wouldn't want the ability to change my mind anyway? Not at all. But if I look at myself honestly, I see that I lean with little deviation toward closure and having things on/off, black/white, open/shut. I don't feel comfortable without definition and I don't feel comfortable not knowing where my boundaries are. My P-function twin is more at ease when she can shift on the fly. Does that mean she doesn't need closure and definition? Again, not at all. But she does naturally lean toward the open door and not the closed one.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    yupp

that's why I have the hardest time with S/N and because Ns can sometimes look like Ss and Ss Ns depending on the situation. I enjoy my senses and I know some sensors who do have gut instincts I think enjoying certain things through are a senses and gut instincts is more of a people thing then type thing. We like food that kind of requires your senses to enjoy it fully. jmo

Let me clarify I have a hard time with S/N on other people most of the time though sometimes it's T/F I think depending on the person I can get stuck on any of the four dichotomies some I get stuck on a couple.Myself it's T/F
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

To make the waters more turbid and opaque, you have ISTP types that wander around with their weird brand of quasi-N which is just as "passable" as any Intuitive at times.

Conversely, my ENTJ/ENTPs have been known to carouse and drink people under the table or get intense enjoyment from their physical environments, even when their S was nearly non-existent.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    yupp

I've out reason some Ts before and can hold my own in a discussion. So no not every decision I make is based on some feeling snap descisions are but if I need to explain to a T about something i can rationalize and sometimes through rationalization I change my mind.

anyways back to the S and N yeah I think my brother is an S but can appear very N at times I've course growing up both of my parents and I are Ns though I think my dad could be an ISTP. But my mom is an INFJ no doubt about that. So are intuitiveness could have rubbed off on him, I know Ss and Js sometimes rub off on me, I've learned the importance of being on time from my mom and my one friend whose an ISFJ. I started being on time for her because she really hates when people are late, then I realized other people feel the same way so I tend to try to show up on time, though sometimes I can't find my shoes or keys or something then I'm late. Or under estimate the time it's going to take, but if that happens I call and apologize. (sorry I'm babbling)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I can hang with Ts too. It's just we aren't using "standard logic" to do it, even if our argument is orderly and free of emotional slant. I call it "feeler logic" for want of a better term. I frequently sound like a T when speaking, but if you pay attention to my words or manner, it's obvious I'm not drawing from logic, regardless of the health of my stance on a matter or my precision. A true T has true objectivity at their disposal should they chose to exercise it. I've yet to see an F who can debate any strongly-held position without SOME heat underneath it, even if they keep it under rein.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code