User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

because intuitives are geniuses and sensors are f*ing retarded
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    xxxx

Are you confusing "independent" with "liberal"? N types are less likely to accept the status quo and more likely to question things. I don't think that necessarily makes them more liberal. N's don't fit into the mainstream as well so they look for alternatives. Sometimes those alternatives are even more conservative though, it depends on the individual.

MBTI
    I

I'm a sensor and I'm more liberal than conservative. Not super liberal, but I definitely lean more liberal.

Basically, I don't care about 'parties' as long as you do the right thing to get a job done. Be it Democrat, Republican, Independent, Green, Tea, White, Orange, or whatever party, if you just have the right state of mind when approaching issues and deal with them in the proper way, that's what I support. And I think other S's have a similar philosophy.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    No, I am interested in psychology behind the liberal and conservative block and why in many cases the divide comes down to S vs N conflict.
    I think the best way to think of it as politics being emergent from human nature.

The main connection (S:N), AFAIK, is that you end up with progressives and conservatives - that is, progressives are positively driven toward progress and conservatives are negatively driven towards progress. IOW, liberals like progress and conservatives fear progress... progress being defined pretty openly here.

It's more complicated than that, as I think the micro effect has to do with resistance to idea/concepts/etc... depends how detailed you want to get. But I suppose the above is a good generalization for the mindsets.

Keep in mind that most people are a mix of the two, if not S:N, but in terms of how preferences express themselves.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

First of all, S =/= traditional and N =/= open to change. Especially because as utilitarian types, SPs and NTs are more open to change, while the cooperative SJs and NFs are more traditional in their own ways.

Second of all, on the subject of political liberalism/conservatism, I think it's more of an age thing -- young people are generally more liberal, old people more conservative.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

First I want to say that I am coming from different political environment then most of people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    What about those unconventional SPs? Remember? Remember how unconventional they are? *nudging reader with elbow*
    Personally, from what I have seen SPs are not that much unconventional.
    Also if you hit them with something thet is very different in political sense or quite complex they will probably not get interested.

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Are you confusing "independent" with "liberal"? N types are less likely to accept the status quo and more likely to question things. I don't think that necessarily makes them more liberal. N's don't fit into the mainstream as well so they look for alternatives. Sometimes those alternatives are even more conservative though, it depends on the individual.
    Where I live I haven't found an N that is conservative. Plus they are more or less independent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I'm a sensor and I'm more liberal than conservative. Not super liberal, but I definitely lean more liberal.

Basically, I don't care about 'parties' as long as you do the right thing to get a job done. Be it Democrat, Republican, Independent, Green, Tea, White, Orange, or whatever party, if you just have the right state of mind when approaching issues and deal with them in the proper way, that's what I support. And I think other S's have a similar philosophy.
    I said "usually", situation is not black and white.
    What you have said is somewhat true but can it be that S people usually see the conservative side as right side.
    Even the word right can mean politically right or being right in some situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I think the best way to think of it as politics being emergent from human nature.

The main connection (S:N), AFAIK, is that you end up with progressives and conservatives - that is, progressives are positively driven toward progress and conservatives are negatively driven towards progress. IOW, liberals like progress and conservatives fear progress... progress being defined pretty openly here.

It's more complicated than that, as I think the micro effect has to do with resistance to idea/concepts/etc... depends how detailed you want to get. But I suppose the above is a good generalization for the mindsets.

Keep in mind that most people are a mix of the two, if not S:N, but in terms of how preferences express themselves.
    It is true that are all mix of all 8 letters but I was thinking in general terms.
    This entire things is generalization. But to me it look like that there are connections. Few months ago I have seen the results of testing a political convictions per each type in the US and there was a correlation to MBTI and how MBTI sees people.

I don't have a link.

MBTI
    ISTP

It is true that are all mix of all 8 letters but I was thinking in general terms.
    This entire things is generalization. But to me it look like that there are connections. Few months ago I have seen the results of testing a political convictions per each type in the US and there was a correlation to MBTI and how MBTI sees people.
    Sorry, to be clear, I meant that it is difficult to just group people into N and S entirely, as it's not quite that clear... people tend to live mostly in the middle ground. (Did not mean to imply that the other traits matter).

N:S is a major component (as far as personalities go) in terms of "liberalism" and "conservative". There are others (like T and J with SDO and RWA...), but there are lots of way to slice. N/S is the most notable divide for what you are talking about here.

MBTI
    INF~
    Enneagram
    4 w5

Because N's can think in different ways, can exist in the gray area's...because we're smart and have layers Sorry, I know, I'm being phasicious.
    Out beyond idea's of rightdoing and wrongdoing, there is a field, I'll meet you there. ~Rumi

MBTI
    INF~
    Enneagram
    4 w5

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Sorry, to be clear, I meant that it is difficult to just group people into N and S entirely, as it's not quite that clear... people tend to live mostly in the middle ground. (Did not mean to imply that the other traits matter).

N:S is a major component (as far as personalities go) in terms of "liberalism" and "conservative". There are others (like T and J with SDO and RWA...), but there are lots of way to slice. N/S is the most notable divide for what you are talking about here.
    Yeah, that's true. I was being playful in my last post. No one likes to be grouped like that.
    Out beyond idea's of rightdoing and wrongdoing, there is a field, I'll meet you there. ~Rumi

MBTI
    I

I said "usually", situation is not black and white.
    What you have said is somewhat true but can it be that S people usually see the conservative side as right side.
    Even the word right can mean politically right or being right in some situation.
    Ok, but I actually know more conservatives who are N than S. Personally I don't think there's much of a trend between S/N and conservatism/liberalism.