User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Food Rules

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Red face Food Rules

when it comes to eating, my inner J comes out to play... I get made fun of by family and friends alike for my extensive set of rules about eating that I have... it's quite terrible

however, I've always been good about trying everything at least once and eating what's put in front of me if I'm a guest, so at least I'm not evil

for some examples here-

-food should not touch... unless we're talking mashed potatoes and gravy or something that's MEANT to be eaten together... if my main course and vegetables ooze together the dinner becomes inedible

- salad should be eaten from a bowl or seperate plate... salad is NOT allowed on the same dish as the main course

- if it's mushy and it's not mashed potatoes or pudding, I probably won't eat it!

- if it's slimy and it's not in the fruit and vegetable (or pickle!) group, I'm not going to eat it

- if it's referred to as a "processed meat product" there's a good chance that I won't eat it... unless it's a sausage

- if it is gray, I'm not going to eat it... food should be aesthetically pleasing as well!

- if it involves soggy bread that I myself didn't make soggy, I'm not going to eat it (take that stuffing!)

that's just a few examples... anyone else have some food rules to share?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I'm a texture/consistency whack job.... I can't eat oatmeal, bananas, grits, or anything else that is mushy like that... It seriously makes me gag. Odd thing is... I LOVE banana flavoring, but hate eating an actual banana.

I can't really say that my hatred for fish is anything out of the ordinary... My stomach and fish don't agree, so I don't eat it. Nothing odd about that. Aside from my stomach really hating fish.

Umm.... I can't stand pieces of fruit being in my ice cream or yogurt... I'll eat it, but the entire time I find a piece of actual fruit I'll make a face... And mind you I love fruit... Just not pieces of fruit in my ice cream or yogurt.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbirleigh View Post
    I'm a texture/consistency whack job.... I can't eat oatmeal, bananas, grits, or anything else that is mushy like that... It seriously makes me gag. Odd thing is... I LOVE banana flavoring, but hate eating an actual banana.
    I'm like this too! I found that I can tolerate bananas if they're fairly green though - so the fruit is pretty firm and not so strong flavoured. I eat them almost every day now for breakfast because they're cheap and good for you. But when they're ripe enough for those brown speckles..
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm like this too! I found that I can tolerate bananas if they're fairly green though - so the fruit is pretty firm and not so strong flavoured. I eat them almost every day now for breakfast because they're cheap and good for you. But when they're ripe enough for those brown speckles..
    Yes! Exactly! I will eat a barely yellow green banana, but if I even see as much as one brown spot, I won't touch it. And if it's really yellow... I'll eat it in the smallest bites possible.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbirleigh View Post
    Odd thing is... I LOVE banana flavoring, but hate eating an actual banana.
    Ah, my banana/tomato rule.

I'll happily eat a banana, but hate it on or in anything, and that includes flavoring. Not on my ice cream, cereal, or in my bread, or pudding.

As for tomatoes, I love the opposite. Smash them into sauces or as another ingredient, and I'll love it. Salsa especially. However, I won't eat one whole, or in slices/pieces where I can easily discern it from other parts of what I'm eating (like slices on a sandwich or pieces in a salad).

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    As for tomatoes, I love the opposite. Smash them into sauces or as another ingredient, and I'll love it. Salsa especially. However, I won't eat one whole, or in slices/pieces where I can easily discern it from other parts of what I'm eating (like slices on a sandwich or pieces in a salad).
    This is probably my biggest rule. I'm glad I'm not nuts!

I'm not sure if this counts, but I also hate when things I love are commonly paired with things I hate. Like bananas and walnuts...I love ANYTHING banana, but I won't eat so many banana things because they so often also contain walnuts, which I despise. No banana nut muffins or Chunky Monkey ice cream for me. :steam: Same thing with ketchup, mustard and mayo on hamburgers. I LOVE hamburgers, but don't like them messed up with those condiments, which makes it hard.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I agree with the tomato rule as well... and get made fun of by my family for it

the man is another person who loves banana things but hates nuts... he claims that society is out to prevent him from enjoying bananas by pairing them with nuts in everything
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I've noticed the older I get the more I start to like food I used to hate. About four years ago you wouldn't have gotten me to touch broccoli. Now, I love it. Three years ago, cauliflower, no thanks. Now, hell yes! And my most recent, guacamole! All my life, hell no I'm not eating that stuff that looks like vomit. Now, why thank you I'll have some guacamole on chicken, chips, salad, etc!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Tube food can be either really good or very revolting. No middle ground. Spam=bad!

I don't like meat that is cold, except turkey slices in salads, which isn't really meaty meat. Meat doesn't belong in sandwiches unless it is warm (hamburgers, hot dogs, hot chicken, beef dip, pulled pork). Generally meat shouldn't be in soups either. I can make a slight exception for beef.

If jello/jellied salads are going to be served with a meal that involves gravy, there should be separate bowls for the jello. Salad should generally have it's own bowl, as whatever said before.

Some kinds of eggs are okay, but there should be no runny middles and something that smelled like devilled eggs is not fit for human consumption.

Raw tomatoes and broccoli are no good, but their cooked versions are fine. (It's something to do with the smell).

I hate fake banana flavouring for anything and am wary of bananas being cooked into any recipe even though I am fine with bananas on their own.

Meat on the bone or fat in meat doesn't work for me. Meat on the bone has too much cartilege, skin, bones and other stuff that makes you painfully aware of what exactly you're eating. If you've ever dissected anything, it will be inetricably linked in your mind then. Fat just has a terrible texture.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Ooooh, yeah... Ditto to that meat on a bone thing.... I forgot about that. I've never been able to eat a chicken leg or chicken wing off the bone... If I eat anything like that I will sit there and pick off the meat with a fork....