User Tag List

12 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default How long can you write before your hand cramps up?

This happens to me often, and I'm starting to think that my hands have really poor endurance. I've found my hand hurting around what I conjecture to be 250 words in 30 minutes. That seems to me like way too little writing to cause pain. So is it? Can most people write more without trouble? If so, what's my problem?

And when I say writing, I really mean writing only. Typing is excluded. I have no problems with typing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

six seconds

usually my brain gives out before my hand

writing is an arduous task for me...

We might as well ask how long can we write before our mind cramps up. For there are two ways of writing: in the first, we write the words, and in the second, the words write us.

When the words write us, time disappears, we enter flow, and we are surprised by what we write.

When we write the words, we push them, we coerce the words, naturally they don't like it, and express themselves in cramped hands or a cramped mind, a writer's block.

All we need to do is fall in love with the words, then the words fall in love with us.

MBTI
    INtP

I doubt you don't have a problem, it's just a matter of strength. When I was in college, I wrote for several hours each day without even noticing it. Nowadays, I spend a lot of time typing, and rarely write more than a few notes - and I definitely notice anything more than a few sentences at a time. I wouldn't worry about anything unless you work at it for a while and don't notice any improvement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    yupp

I always had problems with my hand muscles in elementary school i wore Cando Hand Weight hated it and tried to get away with not wearing it (i was already ridiculed for being odd for other reasons). eventually in 5th grade the teacher was like just type your homework. I think i was doing handwriting work for a 2nd/3rd grader so i can't write a lot ever by hand and it hurts to do so.

not the exact one I had it was the 90s and apparently the design is different. it could be your out of practice because if i don;t hand write for awhile i can't do as much as if i'm writing more than once or twice a week.and 250 words is a lot to write out by hand imo
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

It's probably the beginnings of arthritis. I have the same problem but I can usually write 2 full pages before my hands become sore. I also can't rake leaves for any length of time.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

It doesn't take very long for me.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I press relatively hard on the paper and write a lot for school, so fairly often. I have to stretch my fingers before I play the piano otherwise they feel like they're being pushed back into my hand. I crack my knuckles by pushing my fingers back quite a bit if that has anything at all to do with it.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I wrote eleven pages in 2 hours the other week. My hand cramped by page 1.. it's kind of sad. To be honest, I think it's about conditioning your hand to do it. I haven't written like that in well over a year.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    It's probably the beginnings of arthritis. I have the same problem but I can usually write 2 full pages before my hands become sore. I also can't rake leaves for any length of time.
    This. I do try to write often just to keep my handwriting legible but I can't do it for long. We have 14 trees so I just quit raking and bought the most powerful leaf blower I could find.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.