Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I hate yoga because my body hates it. I hate all exercise but I can tolerate other exercise better. and as I have mentioned I'm also doing the exercise bike.
    Well you have to be at a certain level of fitness to do power yoga, and if you hate all exercise, and really can't walk more than 20 minutes, you're probably right (though you could probably do more meditative hatha yoga or Taoist yin yoga).

The exercise bike is probably good if you hate exercise because you can even get on-line while you're on it, I mean seriously you could make yourself stay on the bike longer (you should probably work your way up to 30 then 45 minutes then an hour to get real benefits from it...20 minutes three times a week is really not much cardio). But if you get winded easily it's good that you know your own limits.

I was just making suggestions. Good luck with everything.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Why do people always tell others trying to lose weight to cut out drinking pop? All they have to do is switch to diet -- that has no calories!
    given the choice between switching to diet and quitting soda altogether, i'd choose to remain fat.
    we fukin won boys

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    lol, everyone's body hates yoga at first.
    Mine didn't. I freakin' love it. The only reason why I didn't do it sooner is because I was bored by the idea of always doing slow-paced hatha yoga, before I learned about yin and yang styles of yoga.

But I grew up taking dance for 11 years, and I also did gymnastics, and was an exotic dancer for several years and am fit enough to jog a minimum of two miles...so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Mine didn't. I freakin' love it. The only reason why I didn't do it sooner is because I was bored by the idea of always doing slow-paced hatha yoga, before I learned about yin and yang styles of yoga.

But I grew up taking dance for 11 years, and I also did gymnastics, and was an exotic dancer for several years and am fit enough to jog a minimum of two miles...so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
    I may try Bikram yoga. With every other type of yoga I just see all of the girls in their hot aerobic outfits and it makes me horny and I have a boner throughout the whole session. At least with Bikram though, I would be too over-heated to give a shit.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I may try Bikram yoga. With every other type of yoga I just see all of the girls in their hot aerobic outfits and it makes me horny and I have a boner throughout the whole session. At least with Bikram though, I would be too over-heated to give a shit.
    ok I don't know where you do yoga, if its hatha or what, but even (especially) when I do gentler yin yoga my eyes are either closed, on a focused point, or looking at how to do the posture. In power yoga actually I have more inclination to notice sweaty men with their shirts off working out. Men who do power yoga up past a certain level look like lean athletes. But Im still too preoccupied with flow and balance and breath and water to be horny.

Yoga: you're doing it wrong.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

i've read that can actually be dangerous. something about the body adjusting too much to the temperature and not realizing the actual amount of effort it's taking. even my regular kundalini teacher is against that type (is it bikram?) of yoga..... :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You're a city dweller, yes chknz? Something else that I thought might appeal to you since you're more into walking than jogging or going to the gym, is heated yoga.

Heated power yoga is no joke, but it's still more gentle than high impact aerobic exercise, and will help you with the anerobic part of building muscle and strength (and flexibility) which helps your metabolism to speed up. You do that and walk (and eat more sensibly) and you won't be "fat."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    i've read that can actually be dangerous. something about the body adjusting too much to the temperature and not realizing the actual amount of effort it's taking. even my regular kundalini teacher is against that type (is it bikram?) of yoga..... :/
    You know what else is dangerous? Obese people jogging after being inactive for long stretches of time. Young fit teenaged boys playing high school football in summer practices if they consume energy drinks. Likewise, Bikram yoga is dangerous for people who are prone to things like not drinking water, not keeping their electrolytes balanced (which ALL athletes shold do, both of those), and probably for people who consume a lot of alcohol. Dehydration is the problem.

What a lot of people probably don't understand about Bikram yoga is that it goes in levels. You're not supposed to walk in to Bikram completely out of shape. You have to start with power yoga non-heated in a warm room, like a gentler yoga class. Also, you get to drink water throughout class. The instructor tells you to drink water. Also, the instructor tells you that he or she is a guide, and that you can choose to ignore them whenever your body says no, and go down into child's pose or sitting or even lying on the mat.

I swear I've seen people lay on the mat for half of class. Even in core restore, which is yin and unheated...so maybe some people just need an excuse to take a nap, so announce to their family, friends, or job that they're going to a yoga class.

Most people in intermediate Bikram that I have seen are VERY in shape. None of them are overweight. Not one.

Nobody in their right mind would get up from a sedantary lifestyle and run five miles, nor should they get up from a sedentary lifestyle and do an hour of hot power yoga.

Surviving cancer patients, older people, and even pregnant women do Bikram yoga. Of course in pregnancy you have to take your temperature and modify certain poses, but as long as your temp doesn't get over 101 you're ok.

You have to hydrate AND have salt/potassium.

I actually think it's safer on my joints and bones than running, in fact can heal them (people with severe arthritis and knee or back injuries from sports have successfully began practicing Bikram yoga on a regular basis).

I'm VERY self-aware, though. I would never walk into class without being hydrated and having water, and they tell you about the electrolytes thing, even selling Emergen-C packs and electrolyte water at the front desk.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Personally I would swap the walks for the bike but crank the resistance on the bike right up if you can, shorter more intense workout. Humans are extremely efficient walkers and joggers, I doubt you'd lose much walking unless you're really huge. I'd even swap in sprints, if that's your thing.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

@Marmie Dearest makes sense. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Since I'm not huuuge yet just none of my pants fit i'm gonna walk mon,wed,fri and do the exercise bike tues and thurs and try to eat slightly healthier.
    That's a good idea, prpl. Drastic changes in diet and activity can be problematic. Do you eat a lot of meat, cheese, eggs, fried foods, sodas? Those are usually high in calories, fat and cholesterol and people tend to eat larger servings of these foods. The problem isn't that you're eating shit food, it's that your body can't convert it all into energy, especially if you're largely inactive. Anything your body can't use right away is stored as fat or ends up in a pipe. legerdemain's weight loss plan: eat, drink coffee, go for casual walk. It worked for me, etc. /ad