• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your experiences with mental illness

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So telling people who are opening up about their struggles that they're batshit crazy is "just having fun" and I've got a stick up my ass? Okay. I mean, the point of this thread was to be a place for people to open up without being stigmatized. But okay.
That is the point.

This thread is not in the Support and Advice subforum, which means we don't moderate it as strictly as threads in that subforum in terms of adhering to the OP and staying "supportive". Still, I cannot imagine any place on the forum where it is OK to stigmatize someone for mental illness, past or present, experienced personally or second hand.

We can always move this thread if necessary to maintain the intended comfort level.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
for the sake of everyone knowing what's going on here, I did move a few off topic or disrespectful posts to off topic posts...

please stay on topic and respect your fellow posters
:)

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Depression mainly, with panic disorder butting in occasionally.

Omg can I just say all of thse acronyms are driving me up a wall because who has all of these memorized? @_@
This is funny coming from someone who was in the military. :newwink:

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius has been diagnosed with PTSD, depression, and anxiety. He has not been in treatment nor medication for a year. It was just a frightfully glorified way of saying his childhood was traumatic and his colleagues were nasty; these diagnoses did really help but perhaps insurance companies and pharmaceutical get a little bit richer.

Screw AXA, GlaxoSmithKline, and Oxford University; Falcarius hates you all. :emot-emo:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Depression mainly, with panic disorder butting in occasionally.

This is funny coming from someone who was in the military. :newwink:

:rofl1: Funny you mention that, I caught that soon as I posted... but really, trying to read this thread I was using Google every single post and was like "forget it. @_@"

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Today I am taking care of myself but... being sensitive to my surrounding I have been into anorexia for 3 years when I was a teenager,

I have had period of siociopathy, periods of withdrawals, turning by back at society I was feeling as strongly dangerous to my well-being (on that point it did not change much:D !)_

In my relationships I have been sadistic and borderline too :ninja::yay::boohoo::ng_mad::rotfl::devil::horror::BangHead::2up::whew:

I was a kind of hyperactive and overreacted when I was young.

Now, as I am growing wise :sage:, I tend to respect my own space, my own desires and my own rythm.

I tend to inspire others, I respect my own body and I am careful into what I'm engaged.

Performing, communication, friendship, sport, and meditation all together are my favourite houses

Being fair to myself took me a lot of time as well as taking time to breath, feel, and accept who I am as well as the world I've chosen to be part of.:wubbie::blush:

In a way I've learnt how to shut doors to what I don't like and to open them fearless to what I love/who I like.

Instead of banging the doors with useless strenght...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm bumping this thread because i want to hear about more people's experiences.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have bipolar, ADHD and as my medical things say anxiety (which is pretty fucking vague)

I've been pretty leery posting anything about the bipolar thing on the forum because I really don't trust that someone won't decide to use that against me at some point because that's what people do and it sucks when you've put a lot of effort into being "sane" and someone still decides to use something that you really can't help as an argument as to why you're wrong or why you can't be trusted to do something :thumbdown:

I was actually off all of my meds for years... didn't have insurance that'd pay for them and didn't feel that I needed them (typical type of behavior really) and put a lot of effort into staying ok with more or less success, but that kind of failed late this summer/early fall and I put a lot of effort into keeping the fact that I was crashing off of here and away from work and really away from everyone because it wasn't anyone else's fault... and have been trying to get my meds adjusted right since then, because it's all a fun experiment. Psych meds are more a throw the spaghetti at the wall thing than a definite "this will work" sort of thing :dry:

so yeah... that's about it. I keep it off of here, out of work and away from the man because it's not anyone else's fault, but I do have my own issues.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm bumping this thread because i want to hear about more people's experiences.

What sort of things are you looking to hear? Not trying to be malicious or anything, just wondering. After all, the latest responses in this thread weren't that old.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Yeah I had a few,
A million ot wro
Sayin up til then
The righting of the end
Change the stars of blind
Stranger Scenes of Mind

How can one so very well
Be the one of frozen shell

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What sort of things are you looking to hear? Not trying to be malicious or anything, just wondering. After all, the latest responses in this thread weren't that old.

curiousity.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I posted in this thread a while ago with all the diagnoses I've been given in my entire life, which feels awkward. It turns out I really just have (and always have had) only PTSD and dissociation. None of the other stuff.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
OCPD, which well actually I guess is a personality disorder and not a mental disorder since it differs from OCD.
"Mild to severe" depression. Runs in my family, both sides, so it wasn't surprising that it developed in both me and my sister as well. I've been functioning okay with it though. No one I meet (in person at least, probably online as well) would ever guess it unless I mentioned it otherwise because I come off as such a cheerful person. I don't like to bother other people with my problems, so I'm good at hiding it and "shoving it to the side" until I get home and can deal with it privately. Most of the time I'm okay, but when I get overwhelmed with stress or anxiety it can get really out of hand.

one of my best friends has that, it makes going on vacation with her interesting because she has to have everything planned and for me vacation is like you don't have plans you wake up and do whatever you feel like that day. drove me nuts by the end and needed a week break from her. I dunno if that's because of OCDpd or the fact she's an ESFJ or a combination of the two.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I posted in this thread a while ago with all the diagnoses I've been given in my entire life, which feels awkward. It turns out I really just have (and always have had) only PTSD and dissociation. None of the other stuff.

I wonder if this common, for people who doctors don't really know so they diagnose them with all the disorders and over time they wittle down the list. just a thought :shrug: i dunno i'm not a psychiatrist and i can not read their minds so i can't say for sure if this is the case.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder if this common, for people who doctors don't really know so they diagnose them with all the disorders and over time they wittle down the list. just a thought :shrug: i dunno i'm not a psychiatrist and i can not read their minds so i can't say for sure if this is the case.

I don't know, I think it probably is pretty common to be diagnosed with tons of stuff regardless of accuracy. I feel like the more you pick up, the less likely they are to be accurate, since how can you have 11 or 12 conflicting diagnoses at once?

I figured I just had PTSD for quite a while before it was confirmed by my therapist. I went in and told her the first time I saw her and she agreed. If she hadn't, I don't think I would've seen her, because I know my life and what's going on inside my head. No one else does. So I know what I do and don't have, even though when I was speculating about PTSD I felt really uncomfortable giving myself that label, because I wasn't sure what happened was bad enough. She also said that I'd had Acute Stress Disorder when I was younger, as opposed to the other things I was diagnosed with. I think it's a disservice to diagnose me with so many things I don't have, because then people assume I'm an archetype of what I've been diagnosed with, which is unfair to both people who actually have the diagnosis and me.

Also, I don't know if my list would've been wittled down if I'd stayed with the same psychologists and psychiatrists who gave me the list in the first place. Because they were really dead set on their list regardless of me. And we never talked about my past, so I'm not sure it would've ever gotten around to PTSD or Acute Stress Disorder, since they're both trauma based.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know, I think it probably is pretty common to be diagnosed with tons of stuff regardless of accuracy. I feel like the more you pick up, the less likely they are to be accurate, since how can you have 11 or 12 conflicting diagnoses at once?

I figured I just had PTSD for quite a while before it was confirmed by my therapist. I went in and told her the first time I saw her and she agreed. If she hadn't, I don't think I would've seen her, because I know my life and what's going on inside my head. No one else does. So I know what I do and don't have, even though when I was speculating about PTSD I felt really uncomfortable giving myself that label, because I wasn't sure what happened was bad enough. She also said that I'd had Acute Stress Disorder when I was younger, as opposed to the other things I was diagnosed with. I think it's a disservice to diagnose me with so many things I don't have, because then people assume I'm an archetype of what I've been diagnosed with, which is unfair to both people who actually have the diagnosis and me.

Also, I don't know if my list would've been wittled down if I'd stayed with the same psychologists and psychiatrists who gave me the list in the first place. Because they were really dead set on their list regardless of me. And we never talked about my past, so I'm not sure it would've ever gotten around to PTSD or Acute Stress Disorder, since they're both trauma based.

I agree, just like when people claim they have something they don't is also a disservice. I think therapist always ask me if i have any overt trauma and i don't.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

I wonder how common over-diagnosing mental illness is. After all, no one is going to feel good 100% of the time. I'll find that in some of the things I post online, laypeople tend to jump to a diagnosis like depression or whatever, but that isn't necessarily me. I don't really have problems functioning in society, so I don't see myself as having any sort of clinical disorder. Does it do more harm than good to over-diagnose? Is it better to over-diagnose than under-diagnose? Etc. I'm no psychologist, so I can't say much on the matter.

Either way, I don't want to say that I'm glad you have PTSD, but I'm glad that you eventually figured out what it is if that makes sense.