User Tag List

123 Last

Default Why do some people like morbid things, more than others?

We all are to some point attracted to morbid, unpleasant, or violent things. It's the natural reaction of our brain, the natural curiosity that helps us prevent the real life danger and learn how to deal with real life unpleasant situations and also help us vent our own inner unpleasant feelings we need to deal with.
    But why are some people attracted to dark sides for reality, more than others? Why some people enjoy horror, dramas, thrillers, while others find them unpleasant to watch and rather watch a comedy, or a romance movie? Why do some people rather listen to emotionally tensing, or raw and aggressive music and some people think that happy pop songs on the radio are the best they can get?
    I have a suspicion this has to do a lot with imagination, empathy and intuition, but I have a hard time proving it. Have anyone ever made a research about such a fenomena? If not, what are your own thoughts?
    Likes Video liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

For me, I like feeling unsettled -- it's a form of anxiety that is actually stimulating to me. I also like the new, the strange, the honest, the real. I feel like much of the casual happy stuff is actually not real or at least not honest, although I can appreciate elements of honesty I see in such things.

I also like to explore things through distortions; if I bend this this way and that, while trying to preserve its essence, what will it look like and what could it do?

For me, I experience it similar to a 5w4 thing -- the distortion of known items into potentially unsettling directions, the better to explore it and understand it. But there's still that weird blend of repulsion and intrigue. It reminds me a bit of the bittersweetness I enjoy in something good -- I like my good stuff to feel sad as well, based on how I see the world.

I can't really speak for others. Perhaps some people just like the jolt of being scared?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Fay liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    For me, I like feeling unsettled -- it's a form of anxiety that is actually stimulating to me. I also like the new, the strange, the honest, the real. I feel like much of the casual happy stuff is actually not real or at least not honest, although I can appreciate elements of honesty I see in such things.

I also like to explore things through distortions; if I bend this this way and that, while trying to preserve its essence, what will it look like and what could it do?

For me, I experience it similar to a 5w4 thing -- the distortion of known items into potentially unsettling directions, the better to explore it and understand it. But there's still that weird blend of repulsion and intrigue. It reminds me a bit of the bittersweetness I enjoy in something good -- I like my good stuff to feel sad as well, based on how I see the world.

I can't really speak for others. Perhaps some people just like the jolt of being scared?
    I feel the same about happy things not being really true, honest and I find much greater honesty in the darker side of life, but this is what I wonder about...why? I knew people are going to talk about enneagram I should have said in my first post, that I am not interested in how 4ish people and people with 4 wing and 4 in tritype and 4th eye like the dark side. Though enneagram is interesting and seek for the source of human reactions even deeper than psychological function in some dimensions, I don't really see being a 4 would be an answer for my question... I mean is there a scientific research on why are some people more attracted to it? Psychological would be good, but biological, or neurological would be even more exciting

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Cuz Si

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Inis Mona View Post
    I feel the same about happy things not being really true, honest and I find much greater honesty in the darker side of life, but this is what I wonder about...why? I knew people are going to talk about enneagram I should have said in my first post, that I am not interested in how 4ish people and people with 4 wing and 4 in tritype and 4th eye like the dark side. Though enneagram is interesting and seek for the source of human reactions even deeper than psychological function in some dimensions, I don't really see being a 4 would be an answer for my question... I mean is there a scientific research on why are some people more attracted to it? Psychological would be good, but biological, or neurological would be even more exciting
    If you read my post again, you'll see I started out talking about how it's more stimulating to me and I get a charge out of it, I mentioned the enneagram thing in the middle -- simply to say it's interesting how it's reflected there, not as any kind of "answer" -- and then went back to talking about stimulation/jolt of being scared. So don't focus on that part, which was not the point of my post; I was thinking primarily about the biological mechanisms.

I mean, it's Halloween, and obviously there are a lot of people who do enjoy the feeling of being scared; otherwise this holiday would not be celebrated. Some people enjoy the "rush" and others do not, but it's pretty clear there is a biochemical angle there that creates the feeling of discomfort, as I said previously.

I'm more curious about why some people take this as scary-bad while others view it as scary-good and if there is a mechanism in place for that, but we can't even determine how anti-depressants will impact a particular individual's brain before they take them... not sure how close we are on determining why some people are uncomfortable with tension.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

not sure how close we are on determining why some people are uncomfortable with tension.
    There are two kinds of people in this world ():
    - those who like to explode the tension
    - those who like to diffuse the tension

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    There are two kinds of people in this world ():
    - those who like to explode the tension
    - those who like to diffuse the tension
    Well, ironically, I have a strong tendency to diffuse social tension, but I love internal tension.

IOW.... "Define tension."

IOW.... "Define tension."
    There are 16 kinds of people in this world..........
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    There are 16 kinds of people in this world..........
    and the 1st type killed the 8th who than killed the 4th who killed the 2nd who got pissed at the 3rd and killed those and the 15th just was like god damnit and killed the 16th who made the 14th jealous so the killed the 12th who than looked to the right and decided to kill the 7th who was like damnit and killed the 6th who killed the 5th cuz they thought they were gonna sell them out. the 9th was killed for being to peace and love man and pissing of the 8 which died before 1 killed 8. 10 just died because they were like screw this genocide and wanted to go out nobabley. 11 no one knows that happened to 11 they might be chilling in the artic but as of now they are presumed dead. the 13th died because they were convinced they were god and could fly and jumped off of tall buildings.

so now there's only one type in the world
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Glint liked this post

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

5 WORDS : DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM