• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which social rules do you think don't make sense?

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
At least they dont stone us as much anymore.

They can stone twice as fast, but at least the medic can get to you twice as fast, too. I think it is on the whole a fair exchange. You even have double the limbs to protect yourself, too. I need to mail this world's GM explaining that this patch is one that'll balance itself.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
True story. some of us also like to spar. It forges a bond of some kind. On some level.

This is enjoyable, and with how PC people have been getting I can't even roughhouse without people thinking I'm out for blood now, and it's even sadder for the ladies.

Don't do that, who's gonna date you now if they know you're violent?
If only that same ridiculous standard applied to men. Weed out the broken alphas.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This is enjoyable, and with how PC people have been getting I can't even roughhouse without people thinking I'm out for blood now, and it's even sadder for the ladies.

Don't do that, who's gonna date you now if they know you're violent?
If only that same ridiculous standard applied to men. Weed out the broken alphas.

I would. I like warrior women.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I personally find the 'firm handshake is telling of character' thing as useless and frivolous as the Chinese 'how do you eat your crabs?' measure. I suppose this can double as another contribution of mine to this thread.

I think a lot of guys give too firm handshakes and, it leaves somewhat of a negative impression on me for about 30 seconds. "Are they viewing even a simple handshake as a dick measuring exercise?" is what it makes me think.

But I think it would be silly to use that to judge a whole person based on that, and pretty soon I start using the other information I learn.

I'm not terribly convinced that you can use a handshake as a judge of character, although it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people believe that they can.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think a lot of guys give too firm handshakes and, it leaves somewhat of a negative impression on me for about 30 seconds. "Are they viewing even a simple handshake as a dick measuring exercise?" is what it makes me think.

But I think it would be silly to use that to judge a whole person based on that, and pretty soon I start using the other information I learn.

I'm not terribly convinced that you can use a handshake as a judge of character, although it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people believe that they can.

Exactly. And it backfires on them, themselves. It is the equivalent of telling the burglar exactly where your burglar alarm is located- now the thief can work around it. What does it matter what else I said? You've already assessed me as a great person based off a 1 second handshake, because I've given you exactly what you wanted.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

You gotta admit, though, there's a correlation between douchebaggery and people who intentionally try to shake your hand with the full force of Thanos wielding the infinity gauntlet.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
A handshake should be tailored to the person receiving it. Whenever a guy shakes my hand too firmly I send his penis a sympathy card, cause he's got be strangling the poor thing.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
A handshake should be tailored to the person receiving it. Whenever a guy shakes my hand too firmly I send his penis a sympathy card, cause he's got be strangling the poor thing.

I always interpreted as ostentatious display of overcompensation.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always interpreted as ostentatious display of overcompensation.

How do the ladies overcompensate?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I have a firm grip; I once got an "owww" from a dude when I shook his hand in some creative drama exercise; there was even some crackling sound. I'm sorry but some of you have weak hands.

The one social rule/expectation I dislike is wearing ties to job interviews; I hate ties because they're uncomfortable.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They breathe fire of course.

FormalSnoopyDartfrog-size_restricted.gif

You've got wonderful ladies.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a firm grip; I once got an "owww" from a dude when I shook his hand in some creative drama exercise; there was even some crackling sound. I'm sorry but some of you have weak hands.

I broke my wrist.

- - - Updated - - -

You gotta admit, though, there's a correlation between douchebaggery and people who intentionally try to shake your hand with the full force of Thanos wielding the infinity gauntlet.

Sometimes, not always, though.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I think a lot of guys give too firm handshakes and, it leaves somewhat of a negative impression on me for about 30 seconds. "Are they viewing even a simple handshake as a dick measuring exercise?" is what it makes me think. But I think it would be silly to use that to judge a whole person based on that, and pretty soon I start using the other information I learn. I'm not terribly convinced that you can use a handshake as a judge of character, although it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people believe that they can.
It's a reliable metric for measuring the strength of character, will, and physicality of whoever you're meeting. I aim to crush any mans hand I shake, but I hold back for women- unless they surprise me with something other than the usual limp burrito. I don't often expect women to be strong in any of those ways.

If firm handshakes are painful for people, I recommend growing a pair and squeezing as hard as you can yourself- it doesn't hurt if you put some effort into it. Muscle rigidity and whatnot.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a reliable metric for measuring the strength of character, will, and physicality of whoever you're meeting. I aim to crush any mans hand I shake, but I hold back for women- unless they surprise me with something other than the usual limp burrito. I don't often expect women to be strong in any of those ways.

If firm handshakes are painful for people, I recommend growing a pair and squeezing as hard as you can yourself- it doesn't hurt if you put some effort into it. Muscle rigidity and whatnot.

Yes, I have gotten accustomed to limp towel grips from women and 12000 psi vice grips from men. Neither are particularly pleasant; there must be a happy medium.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
How could I have forgotten. That in some cultures, doing things with your left hand, using it at all, is horrendously impolite and the person can look at you like you just stabbed their mother in front of them if you do something with / take something from them with your left hand.

These cultures! One PERFECTLY GOOD LIMB rendered useless!

In some cultures, it's more polite and socially acceptable to talk behind people's backs than in front of them. Bah!

In some cultures, you have to call people by honorifics if they are different ages, immediately creating a power imbalance off the bat.

Isn't that because they wipe their butt with their left hand?

About the 'honorifics'... This doesn't exist in English anymore, but as English people used to say 'thou' = informal and 'you' = formal. My ex, she had to use 'you' to address her parents. I was truly shocked when she told me that, they are your parents??
In The Netherlands they are much more focused on these 'civil' pronouns, when you're young and you're talking to an older person. As a form of 'respect'. Well... Let me tell you that first of all I don't have to respect you just because you are older. And... just no, I won't use it. It makes me uncomfortable, my respect is not enforceable (through language). But some older people really become 'angry' when you don't use 'you' because it's 'disrespectful'. They have to give you permission to use the informormal 'you'. (well good buddy, I surely don't respect you anymore now, go cry about it in a corner)

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, I have gotten accustomed to limp towel grips from women and 12000 psi vice grips from men. Neither are particularly pleasant; there must be a happy medium.
Most of the reason I go for the crush is purely for 'best defense is a good offense' reasons.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't that because they wipe their butt with their left hand?
I knew a left-handed person who lived in Indonesia for several years and had terrible trouble on that account. That was the first time I had heard of such customs.

About the 'honorifics'... This doesn't exist in English anymore, but as English people used to say 'thou' = informal and 'you' = formal. My ex, she had to use 'you' to address her parents. I was truly shocked when she told me that, they are your parents?? In The Netherlands they are much more focused on these 'civil' pronouns, when you're young and you're talking to an older person. As a form of 'respect'. Well... Let me tell you that first of all I don't have to respect you just because you are older. And... just no, I won't use it. It makes me uncomfortable, my respect is not enforceable (through language). But some older people really become 'angry' when you don't use 'you' because it's 'disrespectful'. They have to give you permission to use the informormal 'you'. (well good buddy, I surely don't respect you anymore now, go cry about it in a corner)
I do appreciate that modern English lacks such distinctions. The flip side is also true, though. Just as you don't need to use honorifics or a formal "you" to show or feel respect, you can use them without feeling any shred of respect for the recipient. What this means is all we can enforce with such language is the show of respect, not the actual attitude. That must be earned on a case by case basis. All that being said, I can be bothered by excessive familiarity. It's not that I desire the show of respect that more formal interaction brings, more that I find it a convenient and generally accepted way to keep one's distance, unless dealing with close friends.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I knew a left-handed person who lived in Indonesia for several years and had terrible trouble on that account. That was the first time I had heard of such customs.

Ouch, that sucks. :(

I'm the only left-handed person in my family, as far as I know. I haven't been forced to use my right hand or anything, I just always thought it was weird that I couldn't use my right hand well...

Also, sometimes when I'm helping Mom in the kitchen I have to turn the pan/pot handle in the opposite direction that she kept it (just makes it convenient for me as a leftie). And then she gives me an odd look like "OMG why are you like this you're doing this in reverse". :alttongue: We end up laughing though, so it's all good.