User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Psychology of Gun Lovers

We have had several threads, usually in the Politics/Current Events area, on gun policy, gun violence, etc. but none focused on the psychology of guns. What is the attraction for those who enjoy them? How about sporting use vs. self-defense? Why is the climate for gun use and interest so different in different areas, e.g. the U.S. vs other nations?

Whether you use guns yourself, refuse to use them on moral principle, or (like me) just never had the opportunity or need to get into it, please share your perspectives here.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My dad was a big believer in guns. He collected guns, went to gun ranges, was an NRA member, and hunted a lot. He had all kinds of weapons. He was a suspicious, unhappy, angry, paranoid, and cold man (if I had to type him, I'd say he was an ISTJ 6w5 and very unhealthy). I never thought much about them when I was growing up because I was used to them. Nobody messed with him or us for the most part because they knew about Mr. ____ and his guns.

I never gave it much thought until my mother tried to separate from my dad and he shot her, then he shot himself.

I cannot know his mind but I can speculate. I think to him, having a gun gave him a way to protect himself and what he considered his (yes--his people) in world that he perceived as hostile, threatening, and unsafe. Trying to make the odds even so to speak. He didn't trust anything or anyone. He put faith in knowledge (he was very scholarly) and his guns. He was never without a gun. No matter how "good" things were, I don't think he would have ever felt safe enough to be without one. He had to be ready for the attack that he was very sure in his head was going to come one day.

I admit that I would have never, ever thought he'd do what he did. Never.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'll post when I'm not in a bar.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

They’re tools, weapons, individual and mechanical craftsmanship of the people involved with their production, complicated and simplistic in their designs.
    They are a form of art, in the same why artistry can be crafted in a well-made knife.
    Other then that, they are nothing other then an extension of the person in control of them, I see people who have a problem with guns as people who have an intrinsic distrust of their own species (thus having a belief they need to be controlled).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It isn't really that complicated. I think I have a right to protect myself and the property that I worked hard for.

garbage

Shooting things is fun. Loud noises are fun.

Ever played paintball? That is some good stuff.

But hunting animals seems downright psychopathic to me. Let's kill things!! For fun!!

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    My dad was a big believer in guns. He collected guns, went to gun ranges, was an NRA member, and hunted a lot. He had all kinds of weapons. He was a suspicious, unhappy, angry, paranoid, and cold man (if I had to type him, I'd say he was an ISTJ 6w5 and very unhealthy). I never thought much about them when I was growing up because I was used to them. Nobody messed with him or us for the most part because they knew about Mr. ____ and his guns.

I never gave it much thought until my mother tried to separate from my dad and he shot her, then he shot himself.

I cannot know his mind but I can speculate. I think to him, having a gun gave him a way to protect himself and what he considered his (yes--his people) in world that he perceived as hostile, threatening, and unsafe. Trying to make the odds even so to speak. He didn't trust anything or anyone. He put faith in knowledge (he was very scholarly) and his guns. He was never without a gun. No matter how "good" things were, I don't think he would have ever felt safe enough to be without one. He had to be ready for the attack that he was very sure in his head was going to come one day.

I admit that I would have never, ever thought he'd do what he did. Never.
    wow that is sad to hear man, I am sorry for you loss

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    But hunting animals seems downright psychopathic to me. Let's kill things!! For fun!!
    As long as the animals are actually used for something, like food, then I don't have a problem with it. Just killing them to have a good time and put a trophy on your wall, though...I find that very unappealing, wasteful, and disrespectful.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My own opinion on the subject is pretty mixed. I'm not a gun owner myself, although I have shot plenty of them. I've known plenty of gun owners.

There's a very strong gun culture in the U.S. Midwest where I used to live. They're for recreation, they're tools. I've known a lot of farmers, and a gun is a necessity out on the farm. There are animals to be put down, maybe because of disease or slaughter. There are also animals that threaten farmer's livelyhood, like raccoons, coyotes, rabid dogs, etc. There is definitely a self-protection aspect as people who live in the country will not get a fast response in case of intruders. They have the same preparedness when it comes to any other emergencies, they keep canned food, medical supplies, etc.

Guns are a part of their lives, their dad took them out when they were kids and taught them how to shoot and how to be safe. They shot soda cans off of fence posts with 22's when they were 13 without parental guidance with their cousins on summer days. They kept their grandpa's gun on the mantlepiece, God rest his soul.

There are many out in the country who do have guns because they fill in a need for some sort of power, especially against the government. These dudes have some serious arsenals, and there is some serious wacko shit happening out there sometimes.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    One of my dad's friends is an avid hunter. Several years ago he got an elk. He said it was a big ordeal and he didn't think it tasted very good either. He concluded that it would have been more rewarding to shoot a cow.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz