User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP

I have a complete opposite problem; if and when I am stressed (which is RARE), I tend to eat mindlessly. Eating tends to calm me down.

I hope you get past this stressful time in your life, Toonia, and maybe try for 3 small meals a day.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm sorry, Toonia!

I lose my appetite when I'm worried or stressed. This first semester of teaching has taken me down to about 103 lbs (5'6"). Sometimes I just forget to eat, but often the idea of food makes my stomach feel yucky and sort of sick even when I am hungry. (Don't think it's ever shut down completely, though..) When I get like this, I have to make myself nibble. The idea of a whole meal is too much, but I can munch nuts or pieces of dried fruit throughout the evening.

I live alone, and it's usually not until a family member mentions it that I realize I've lost weight. (I hadn't thought about it this time until I went home for Thanksgiving.) It doesn't help that there's some kind of weird, buried connection in my head between ignoring hunger and being strong/in control. It's not intentional, but I notice that I often operate on that assumption.

You're right, Toonia: I've read a lot of articles about how to stop the munchies when you're stressed, but not very many about how to keep your appetite when you're stressed.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post

I'm sorry, Toonia!

I lose my appetite when I'm worried or stressed. This first semester of teaching has taken me down to about 103 lbs (5'6"). Sometimes I just forget to eat, but often the idea of food makes my stomach feel yucky and sort of sick even when I am hungry. (Don't think it's ever shut down completely, though..) When I get like this, I have to make myself nibble. The idea of a whole meal is too much, but I can munch nuts or pieces of dried fruit throughout the evening.

I live alone, and it's usually not until a family member mentions it that I realize I've lost weight. (I hadn't thought about it this time until I went home for Thanksgiving.) It doesn't help that there's some kind of weird, buried connection in my head between ignoring hunger and being strong/in control. It's not intentional, but I notice that I often operate on that assumption.

You're right, Toonia: I've read a lot of articles about how to stop the munchies when you're stressed, but not very many about how to keep your appetite when you're stressed.
    This does sound familiar overall. We're about the same height too. This time I have a while before I near the double digits. I'm going to take some vitamins and do my best. In a way I'm glad to have lost the first eight pounds, and could tolerate another set of eight pounds, but I'm hoping it slows by that point. My body has felt too unfamiliar at the weight I've been at the past few years.

I have some inkling about stress related to teaching high school and I really admire you for that. It takes a deep stamina.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

What's all this mishagaas about not eating? Trust me tata sheina, 10 minutes with my Jewish mother and you'll be fressing chulent and latkes until you're shluffin.

MBTI
    ENTP

I also suffer from depleted appetite whenever I'm stressed out. My advice is don't worry about it because that'll just make it worse It will pass.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFP

Toonia:

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I have sometimes lost my desire and ability to eat, but this has always been due to emotional pain.

I found it interesting that three separate posters in this thread, including yourself, used the word "control" in their posts. Does that speak to a need or needs you are trying to meet?

Namaste,
    Ian

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I flat out FORGET to eat whenever I get stressed about something! I usually only realize this when my jeans start fitting more loosly and I realize that I haven't been to the grociery for a while! I hope that you start eating again though! food is awesome!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Sounds like a major stress reaction from the way you've been describing it. If you like... the pharmacological/physiological explanation is over activation of sympathetic drive. Call it the "fight or flight" responses. Activation of that system will shut down the parasympathetic system. That's the one that regulate normal regulatory functions such as eating/digesting food. Would something like meditation, listening to soothing music, or soaking in the tub help relieve stress? You need to get some food in you.

I hope you feel better soon.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I am having reduced appetite issues, and it is causing me concern. It seems to occur when my life is in a state of uncertainty. This is the third time it has happened: first at age 16 while starting a boarding school alone, second was my first year of grad school, and now. My stomach and torso gets tight and nauseous, so that any attempt to eat is uncomfortable. I have been managing sort of one meal a day since around Thanksgiving. I've lost eight pounds from that time. I'm keeping myself together for the most part, albeit with reduced ability to function, but this eating thing has slipped under the radar. I have never found any literature about this problem and have no idea if anyone else ever faces it. I need it to stop.
    Both my sister and I have this problem. Stress goes right to our stomachs. We're both pretty small so losing weight is a tremendously scary and hard-to-stop problem once it starts. Not being able to eat has been a recurring theme with us since childhood. My sister dropped to 56 pounds when we were 12. I believe the NF stress mechanism tends to cause all manner of problems with eating and getting above "survival mode" again.

We've found that calcium and magnesium really helps to reduce that tension and nausea, thus encouraging your appetite back up.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious