User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default What definition of I and E do you find most useful?

Some tests and theories associate E with more sociability and I with less of it, whereas with other systems, E and I are made of completely different traits.

One neurologically inspired theory by Hans Eysenck relates E and I with person's preferred level of psychological arousal, associating higher preferred levels with E and lower with I. Person is said to feel greatest comfort level at their preferred level, and rapidly decreasing comfort at any higher level. Sociability is not given any special meaning in this E/I construct.

How much does extraversion equate as sociability to you?

Well, what exactly is meant by "psychological arousal"? If it's anything like "stimulation", I can see where the two would go hand in hand.

When I was a kid, I would get really annoyed, frustrated, and overwhelmed when there were to many people around for too long (I consider this over-stimulation.) so much so that I would tell my mom's guests, "This is my house, and it's time for you to leave."

Now, I still can't handle too much social stimulation. There are certain peopole I am very comfortable with that I could hang out with all the time and not feel over-stimulated; but, aside from these, too much social activity still stresses me out, to the point of depressing me. It's nothing against these certain people who don't have the exception. I think part of it relates to how well I know the person and is also affected by how extraverted/energetic that person tends to be. (The more low-key the better.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would say that it influences sociability, but not completely. Ease of psychological arousal would definitely play a role as well. I believe that the best test of Introversion/Extraversion would be whether you feel more relaxed and comfortable alone/with less than four good friends, or around lots of other people you may or may not know. This may not work for everyone, but it seems to be the best deciding factor I've come up with.

I would also consider the following criteria:

• Reactivity to stimuli. E's have a higher threshold/need for stimulation, I's are more aware of and affected by typical things.

• Focus. E's prefer to focus on what their actions achieve/effect outwardly, towards others/reality, and I's prefer to focus on what their actions achieve/effect inwardly, towards their inner idea.

• Mental Energy. E's tend to feel mentally stimulated by being in the company of other people, and I's feel mentally stimulated by contemplating/dealing with something alone or with only a few other people.

• Evenness of relationships. Extraverts tend to have more friends, but aren't usually much closer to a smaller number of them than to others. Introverts tend to have fewer friends, but have markedly defined, smaller inner circles of very close friends. (Extraverts also have inner circles, they just aren't as sharply defined.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Some tests and theories associate E with more sociability and I with less of it, whereas with other systems, E and I are made of completely different traits.

One neurologically inspired theory by Hans Eysenck relates E and I with person's preferred level of psychological arousal, associating higher preferred levels with E and lower with I. Person is said to feel greatest comfort level at their preferred level, and rapidly decreasing comfort at any higher level. Sociability is not given any special meaning in this E/I construct.

How much does extraversion equate as sociability to you?
    I found this post by pt to be very helpful, Santtu

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I've come to realize that Extraversion vs. Introversion are also tied to actual functions, with S and F being more extroverted and N and T being more introverted. When you think of modern definitions of introversion, S and F both tend to be outwardly directed, while N and T are internal.

N and T functions also tend to be negative-to-neutral in their thinking. The N by its nature is unhappy with the way things currently are and wishes to change things or escape the outer world into their own world. The T has the most realistic bent on life, which could manifest as negative thinking.

(And Jung did view Introverted Intuition as true introversion.)

S and F functions tend to be more joyful. The S is happy with the way things are and has the least trouble with making the best of everything. In the same way, the F is humanistic and diplomatic, which makes them more pleasant.

I'd say that Extraverts are more forceful while Introverts are more receptive.

MBTI
    ISTP

For me, I define;

E = primed for positive emotions
    I = decidedly unprimed for positive emotions.

More along the lines of Hans. I measure the side effects, like social/outgoing/etc seperately (ie: how do I know someone is likely primed is by the behaviour rather than the biology).

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I = gets energy from within.
    E = gets energy from the environment.

While the most common source of energy for an extravert is people I don't think it has to be the only source. For example roller coasters or loud music or other exciting things can be stimulating for an extravert.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I = gets energy from within.
    E = gets energy from the environment.

While the most common source of energy for an extravert is people I don't think it has to be the only source. For example roller coasters or loud music or other exciting things can be stimulating for an extravert.
    Thanks, this was a nice idea! I often forget this theoretically (even tho I love listening to loud music) as I think them as S activity.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I would say that it influences sociability, but not completely. Ease of psychological arousal would definitely play a role as well. I believe that the best test of Introversion/Extraversion would be whether you feel more relaxed and comfortable alone/with less than four good friends, or around lots of other people you may or may not know. This may not work for everyone, but it seems to be the best deciding factor I've come up with.

I would also consider the following criteria:

• Reactivity to stimuli. E's have a higher threshold/need for stimulation, I's are more aware of and affected by typical things.

• Focus. E's prefer to focus on what their actions achieve/effect outwardly, towards others/reality, and I's prefer to focus on what their actions achieve/effect inwardly, towards their inner idea.

• Mental Energy. E's tend to feel mentally stimulated by being in the company of other people, and I's feel mentally stimulated by contemplating/dealing with something alone or with only a few other people.

• Evenness of relationships. Extraverts tend to have more friends, but aren't usually much closer to a smaller number of them than to others. Introverts tend to have fewer friends, but have markedly defined, smaller inner circles of very close friends. (Extraverts also have inner circles, they just aren't as sharply defined.)
    That's a nice analysis, you considered both personal and impersonal factors and both person's expressions and where they take their input for their thought processes.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Well, what exactly is meant by "psychological arousal"? If it's anything like "stimulation", I can see where the two would go hand in hand.
    Yep that's about what he probably ment with it.