User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Cool but most traditional academic settings are like that though in my experience. Some profs I had had policies like "after 3 classes, every class you miss, you lose half a grade." Gotta go through hoops to get top grades.
    This guy's policy was that you lose a grade after 3 classes. I want top grades, but since this professor is just about the only one at my university who does that, I couldn't let that policy go without a demonstration.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    This guy's policy was that you lose a grade after 3 classes. I want top grades, but since this professor is just about the only one at my university who does that, I couldn't let that policy go without a demonstration.
    Have you considered e1? It's seems very e1 (if we are going by stereotypes...). There is a common misidentification between 3 and 1. 1's are about "doing the right thing" according to their own standards (principles) and 3's are more about efficiency and image. Both tend to be very perfectionistic esp. 3w4 and 1w?.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

That reasoning doesn't strike me as very 3... Maybe 6, 8, 4 ish? Seems reactive? Or 1 like Glycerine said, maybe 1/9.

Obviously it's your choice and if you feel good about it, then I guess you've gotten what you wanted, but it seems sort of like self-sabotage to me. If you've consented to utilizing the university system and therefore their grading scale, why resist to this particular policy? If there were a serious reason to miss class, like medical absence or family death, the university administration typically grants allowances. It would seem more useful to protest formally within the system rather than subverting your own grade... I get that this way you could have some agency and decide something for yourself but in the long run I'm not sure I see that the message of "I resist academic conditioning" is really going to get through to the world. Like... have you told any decision-makers that this is why you did that? If your prof never hears from you, he has no reason to think you had any other thought process than not caring enough...

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Have you considered e1? It's seems very e1 (if we are going by stereotypes). There is a common misidentification between 3 and 1.
    I have. My problem with that is a weak moral sense. I could do absolutely anything, or nearly anything, if I framed it in my own mind the right way. So, for example, since my own success is the goal, I have to watch myself lest I begin to use other people indiscriminately. I think that overall trajectory seems 3ish. That is why I made that particular stand to deliberately hurt myself, because I don't want to lose my integrity, which I think I could easily do since I'm driven by success. I think . . . It is very hard to know what I'm driven by, though. I'm driven by a lot of stuff.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    That reasoning doesn't strike me as very 3... Maybe 6, 8, 4 ish? Seems reactive? Or 1 like Glycerine said, maybe 1/9.

Obviously it's your choice and if you feel good about it, then I guess you've gotten what you wanted, but it seems sort of like self-sabotage to me. If you've consented to utilizing the university system and therefore their grading scale, why resist to this particular policy? If there were a serious reason to miss class, like medical absence or family death, the university administration typically grants allowances. It would seem more useful to protest formally within the system rather than subverting your own grade... I get that this way you could have some agency and decide something for yourself but in the long run I'm not sure I see that the message of "I resist academic conditioning" is really going to get through to the world. Like... have you told any decision-makers that this is why you did that? If your prof never hears from you, he has no reason to think you had any other thought process than not caring enough...
    Yes, I told the prof. He liked me as a student, and I worked hard to get that status so that when I sabotaged my grade, he would pay a little bit of attention. He cared enough, in the last class, to point out by name all the students who only missed one or no classes (which was 66% of them).

I really wanted him to not want to down my grade, but to have to because of that policy. And I think I succeeded. Someday, if another student like me takes his class, he might change his policy. I've done my part,though.

I am not an 8. Not nearly physical enough. I'm an INFJ, anyhow. I guess I could be 6; I'm pretty sure I'm not a 4, though, because I'm less of an individualist, and more of a person with a social consciousness/conscience. I'm really into studying society because I want to contribute some valuable insight someday. In my own circle.

Glycerine

Yes, I told the prof. He liked me as a student, and I worked hard to get that status so that when I sabotaged my grade, he would pay a little bit of attention. He cared enough, in the last class, to point out by name all the students who only missed one or no classes (which was 66% of them).

I really wanted him to not want to down my grade, but to have to because of that policy. And I think I succeeded. Someday, if another student like me takes his class, he might change his policy. I've done my part,though.

I am not an 8. Not nearly physical enough. I'm an INFJ, anyhow. I guess I could be 6; I'm pretty sure I'm not a 4, though, because I'm less of an individualist, and more of a person with a social consciousness/conscience. I'm really into studying society because I want to contribute some valuable insight someday. In my own circle.
    Well, the only reason why I would really do that would be to self-sabotage because I don't feel committed so it gives me an "out" to seek other avenues... not really "out of principle".

If I thought it was a stupid rule, I would twist it to my advantage or not deal with the professor... I would have dropped the class and picked another "honors" class.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Ahh okay. I'm glad you said something to him. It's an interesting philosophy and decision to me. Your last comment sounds 6/5.