User Tag List

Socionics
    ILI

Default 5w4 and 4w5 Tritype stuff

I've heard several people on different forums say that having both 5w4 and 4w5 is very "confusing", "rare", "hard to explain", but no one really says why. So I was wondering if any of you guys know why people are saying this.

Reason for me doing this: I'm pretty set now on 5w4 - 8w9 - 4w3, but I'm not 100% sure that I have a 3 wing on the last fix.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

It's not rare.

That's a myth that appears to have sprung from a particular post on Personality Cafe due to an apparent overabundance of people typing with those two particular fixes. Someone arbitrarily thought it up in an effort to dissuade others from automatically typing that way and give other types a fair consideration.

The people who introduced the concept of tritype, David and Katherine Fauvre, have not ruled how commonly this phenomenon occurs, but did explicitly state that it's not particularly rare. If the creators of tritype theory don't think a 4/5 combo is uncommon, I fail to see the grounds upon which any of us amateur boardies should dispute that.

Fwiw, my mother is a 9w1/4w5/5w4 and I know an affirmed 854 as well. I don't know that many people, but that's already two with the 4/5 fixes. So, don't look at it in terms of probability; just choose the 4-fix that best represents you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I always thought it was kind of weird how you could be 4w5 AND 5w4 (or 2w1 and 1w2 and any other instances)... How does it work, anyone care to elaborate? When at a 'distance' like that, how does one distinguish from the main type? (for instance 5w4 and 4w5)
    4w5-9w1-5w4

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    I always thought it was kind of weird how you could be 4w5 AND 5w4 (or 2w1 and 1w2 and any other instances)... How does it work, anyone care to elaborate? When at a 'distance' like that, how does one distinguish from the main type? (for instance 5w4 and 4w5)
    Yes, this. I have the same question, though it's sort of a sarcastic, rhetorical question in my case which really means I think specifying wing for tritype is stupid. I know I'm a 4 with 5 head fix and an 8 gut fix, that's really all I need to know. I guess I just think including wings for fix makes the whole thing exhaustingly complicated and often convoluted.

For example: how can a 5w4 have a 4w3 fix...? If your core type is 5 wouldn't that make your 4 fix extremely 5-ish (which would make it 4w5) to begin with? If so, then cue @Noll 's above question. It just seems more effective to drop wings from tritype altogether.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨