• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Buying Music from the Artists

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, the premise for this thread is that I normally download all my music. But recently I've started feeling guilty and I've decided that albums that I love and listen to on repeat well, I should reward the artists for them. St. Vincent comes to mind. Her new album is phenomenal, I've listened to it so many times and I've enjoyed so, that it's correct for me to give her some of my money.

OK so, what's the prob? Well, I don't like to accumulate objects (they make me feel less free) so I don't want a physical CD. So I went to iTunes to get a digital copy...but then I stopped myself because I don't want to give money to a big corporation. Actually, I don't want to give money to iTunes knowing that it probably takes, what?, 80% of the price value and only 20% go to the artist. Or so (i don't know the details).

OK, so now the punch is: is there any way to buy music DIRECTLY from the artists? I guess maybe at their shows....but what about online???

Thanks.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First, I applaud your attention to pangs of conscience. Second, you just get in touch with the artist if possible through their facebook, myspace, twitter etc. and see where you can send a money order or paypal etc. ultimately, some of your money will always be going to a big corporation unless you hand the artist the cash yourself. If you are going to download it anyway than decide how much that music is worth to you and if you cannot find a way to get the money to the artist than let the artist know that you appreciate them and donate that money to a charitable cause that the artist supports or that you would like to support. Better yet, buy the CD, burn it and give it to someone who would otherwise never get a chance to hear that music (maybe donate it to a women's shelter or orphanage as long as the music is suitable).

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
thank you for replying. those were great suggestions :)

nevertheless, unless the artist is quite modest and obscure, i think it's quite difficult to get to speak to them directly. for instance, allison miller's album "5 AM Stroll" is not available anywhere, so i sent an email to her record label....didn't reply. sent an email to allison miller herself...didn't reply. added her on Facebook, she accepted the request super fast, sent her a message...didn't reply. god, it's like: who do i have to kill do get this cd?!

so, i mean, for example with st vincent i could try to contact her record label i guess. ...and ask them what the best way is to maximize profit for the artist. what do you...think!?