First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm not sure what you mean. It became quite popular for men of a certain subculture to wear jewelry in the 1970's, and then in the 80s a tremendous number of young guys, at least, got one ear pierced and wore choker-type neclaces, like a gold chain with a matching gold bracelet, or something more "beachy" like puka shells...in fact that reminds me of guys wearing beads in the 1960's as well...

And anyway now lots of guys wear bracelets or necklaces or have multiple piercings.

Are you talking about big jewels, though? Is that what you mean? I think men did do that at some earlier points in history, like wealthy men in Europe in like the 1600s-1700s.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Why is men wearing jewelry so taboo?
    Is it taboo?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

In my opinion, a man should wear a watch.

This is all the jewelry I need:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I like it when men wear nice watches.

Men used to carry pocket watches back in the day, as well.

I wonder if Elfboy wants to wear sapphire earrings...I think plenty of men have something like a diamond or a ruby set into a wedding band, or a cluster of small diamond chips... or into one single gold ring if they aren't married.

I remember old guys doing this a lot when I was a kid, and I still see it now sometimes.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    it's not.
    +1
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    The answer to this question is entirely dependent on how much you adhere to the modern societal gender norms. The taboo in this context only exists as an implication, an implication which would differ in widespread opinion based on age demographic. if that's what you wanna do, there's technically nothing stopping you, so go for it. Just know what doing so entails.
    there is nothing stopping me, I do it. I just wonder why people are so ignorant about it
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

On the earrings subject, I wasn't quite old enough to pay much attention in the 80s, but it seems like in the 90s loads of guys got one ear pierced - even guys who weren't necessarily all that "rebellious". My impression is it's really gone out of fashion again, unless you're a rock star or gay, pretty much!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    maybe this is why you're like.. "extra gay" or something. you live in a repressed area that even stigmatizes jewelry wearing. i don't blame you.
    i'm sorry, is this post rude? not meant to be. just trying to be funny..
    a bit ignorant, but I wouldn't call it rude as much as misinformed. I don't really consider myself "extra gay" (people of this nature who go out of their way to do things screaming "I'M GAY" really bother me) it's just that my personality has a strong feminine side and I like things related to beauty
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Where do you live that it's so taboo for men to wear jewelry? As far as I know preppy frat boys can have some jewelry like the choker-type gold necklace and maybe a watch and/or one nice bracelet...hippie and emo dudes wear jewelry all the time...guys who are seriously into body modification can walk around looking like they're more metal than skin....the only reason I can see anyone saying anything is if you're doing the whole 1970s Elvis row 'o bright rings on each finger...or hell, I don't know. I remember totally normal, preppy, conservative guys from middle class homes wearing understated jewelry even in the 80s.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    On the earrings subject, I wasn't quite old enough to pay much attention in the 80s, but it seems like in the 90s loads of guys got one ear pierced - even guys who weren't necessarily all that "rebellious". My impression is it's really gone out of fashion again, unless you're a rock star or gay, pretty much!
    I guess I paid attention to it because although I was in elementary school, my grandfather's wife had a son who was 17 when they got married, so I saw him and his friends, etc.

Plus I had baby-sitters who were girls in high school and they had boyfriends.

And I lived in West Virginia, not a major city.