Thread: Doctor Who

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Yeah, Donna's the best. Maybe my favorite companion ever. After that, Jamie. Ian and Babs are pretty great, too. And Steven's too easily overlooked.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Bump! What do we think of the new Doctor and his companion?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Oh, I was so gonna bump this. I looooove the new Doctor. I'm still on the fence about his companion, but I love the little girl (her real life niece) who played her when she was young. Such a doll.

But yeah, the story was kind of stupid, but I love the energy and ease of Matt Smith.

Can anyone answer one question though? Why did he call that big eyeball back just to tell it to run. Ego, much?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Ego, much?
    That's pretty much my main problem with this "next generation" of Who. It's very ego-driven. Everything is BIG! HUGE! THE WHOLE WORRRRRLD! THE WHOLE UNIVERRRRSE! I think they've abused the technical abilities they have now to make everything so huge that it gets redundant. How many times can the Doctor very loudly and famously save the world and then once again nobody knows who he is?

A lot of people on the Gallifrey Base forum were spouting the notion that this Moffatt dude taking over as the exec producer was going to mean the show would be very different. It seemed like more of the same to me. Still the frenetic pace with the loud, pounding music and absolutely zero subtlety.

I think a much more bold and interesting thing to do would have been to make the new Doctor insecure and clumsy. I had hopes in the first few minutes that they might be going in that direction, but then he once again turned into the action superhero with all the answers. After Tom Baker's long run as the Doctor ended, they did just that, by having a Doctor who seemed to once again have plenty of moments where he didn't know what the heck to do and sometimes had to kind of luck into solutions. The "I know everything about everyone in the Universe and I like to strut and call attention to myself" Doctor gets tiresome very quickly. It sends me back to watching the "Everybody stop bothering me" Doctor of William Hartnell. His Doctor had an ego for sure. But he didn't use it to make loud pronouncements to the whole planet Earth or to the galaxy.

/end grumpy old man rant.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    That's pretty much my main problem with this "next generation" of Who. It's very ego-driven. Everything is BIG! HUGE! THE WHOLE WORRRRRLD! THE WHOLE UNIVERRRRSE! I think they've abused the technical abilities they have now to make everything so huge that it gets redundant. How many times can the Doctor very loudly and famously save the world and then once again nobody knows who he is?
    I had the same exact complaints. I miss the days when he would travel to other worlds/times and just get caught up in local politics. Everything now is so Earth-centric and deals with rifts in time and space that will blow up the Earth in x amount of minutes.

Why is he so obsessed with the Earth, anyway?

A lot of people on the Gallifrey Base forum were spouting the notion that this Moffatt dude taking over as the exec producer was going to mean the show would be very different. It seemed like more of the same to me. Still the frenetic pace with the loud, pounding music and absolutely zero subtlety.
    Moffat has written some compelling stuff, although you wouldn't know it from this. And even though his stuff is compelling, I only really *loved* one of his episodes.

And don't get me started on the obnoxious sound design of this episode.

I think a much more bold and interesting thing to do would have been to make the new Doctor insecure and clumsy. I had hopes in the first few minutes that they might be going in that direction, but then he once again turned into the action superhero with all the answers. After Tom Baker's long run as the Doctor ended, they did just that, by having a Doctor who seemed to once again have plenty of moments where he didn't know what the heck to do and sometimes had to kind of luck into solutions. The "I know everything about everyone in the Universe and I like to strut and call attention to myself" Doctor gets tiresome very quickly. It sends me back to watching the "Everybody stop bothering me" Doctor of William Hartnell. His Doctor had an ego for sure. But he didn't use it to make loud pronouncements to the whole planet Earth or to the galaxy.
    I thought this Doctor would have been a little more introspective/introverted, but I genuinely like the way Smith acts in the role so far. I hate know-it-all characters (Sean Connery, I'm looking at YOU) but I think the actor did a lot with what he was given. He just seemed at ease and has a certain charm and enthusiasm. But I really don't like the direction the Doctor is going in. The whole "I'm a bad-ass, watch out for me" thing that has been bubbling up over the past season.

/end grumpy old man rant.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I really, really liked the new episode. The story was a little broad, but I think having rewatched it a couple of times that there's a fair amount of subtlety with regard to the character development. I say this mainly because I get the sense that Amy is really pretty stunted and...well, messed up. I definitely think there's more to her story than meets the eye. She just seems a little too adept at lying and had a little too much fun messing with the Doctor. I think she's a fundamentally sweet, but has some issues to work through. I'm reserving judgement on Matt's version of the Doctor for now, but I think he did a great job with what he had and was thoroughly charming. I wish there was more to distinguish him from Tennant's version of the Doctor, though.

I hated that the Doctor called back the Atraxi, too, but I can see why it was necessary to introduce new viewers to the idea that this is who the Doctor is and what he does. I don't think there's really any hope of getting less earth-centric stories as that was part of the proposal when RTD revived the series. I think it's a completely valid complaint, but as someone who's not generally into sci-fi, I can see the drawbacks of getting too far away from concerns that involve Earth. I agree that it's repetitive that everything somehow involves Earth being on the receiving end of some cataclysmic alien threat, yet people somehow are surprised that there are aliens and this dude called the Doctor.

I'm hoping that Moffat's episodes will be a little tighter storywise than Davies'. Moffat's episodes are among my favorites of the series (especially "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances") and usually pretty well put-together.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILI

I only saw the beginning and the end, but I liked what I saw. Amy seems like an interesting companion, especially after Martha and Donna. Smith has a lot to live up to obviously. The Tenth doctor was my favorite, with the fourth close behind. I think the earth-centric stories are to keep the 'human' element in it. It could just as easily be done on other planets, but I'm sure the men in suits think otherwise. I have hope for Moffat. Blink was amazing.