Thread: New StarTrek

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Good acting, good story, surprisingly funny, very few slow parts, plenty of special effects and fighting. It makes the recent Star Wars movies look like boring crap.

But I didn't like how Kirk/feelings kept winning out over Spock/logic. That always happens in movies!
    It might always happen in movies. But you'll find that people even in real life follow those who are passionate and show it. When someone is passionate about something they have a vision. It's that vision that makes them someone to follow. It thought it to be rather good and thought provoking in some sense regarding the "battle" between Spock and Kirk.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Agree, he was uninspiring and I usually like him.
    Although, it was a nothing character. I suppose any time they would've taken to flesh out that character rightfully went to introducing the main characters. Hopefully the sequel will improve this, just like in Batman Begins the focus was very much on Batman so Ra's and Scarecrow weren't as developed and compelling as the Joker in TDK.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

it was phenomenal. I haven't really been into Star Trek until now, and seeing the movie, I was amazed I'd never gotten into it before. My dad used to watch all the old episodes and he said they kept it pretty real, character-wise. The theme was amazing. 10 out of 5 stars no doubt. I think I like it better than the three newest Star Wars, (old Star Wars is unbeatable). I'm going to rent the Wrath of Con soon.

Loved how they used the original Spock as the father in this one. It's awesome.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Although, it was a nothing character. I suppose any time they would've taken to flesh out that character rightfully went to introducing the main characters. Hopefully the sequel will improve this, just like in Batman Begins the focus was very much on Batman so Ra's and Scarecrow weren't as developed and compelling as the Joker in TDK.
    Good point on the Batman reference, hopefully the next one will have a more interesting bad guy. Everyone loves a good bad guy, heh, but establishing strong main characters for continuations can be considered more important. Hadn't thought of it that way.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    it was phenomenal. I haven't really been into Star Trek until now, and seeing the movie, I was amazed I'd never gotten into it before. My dad used to watch all the old episodes and he said they kept it pretty real, character-wise. The theme was amazing. 10 out of 5 stars no doubt. I think I like it better than the three newest Star Wars, (old Star Wars is unbeatable). I'm going to rent the Wrath of Con soon.

Loved how they used the original Spock as the father in this one. It's awesome.
    Did they use the original Spock for the father or for the old spock from the future?
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Future spock was the original.

I really liked it but I figure there will have to be another one coming out to fix it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Less departure from canon than anticipated, far too many cuts and close-in shots, apt use of redheaded actresses, odd but defensible casting for villain, inclusion of Scott's cuddly cohort that piques interest, no shortcomings significant enough to make it less than two hours well-spent.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Not a Star Trek fan at all but I enjoyed the movie immensely.

Remember that reboots always have the added baggage of having to define all the characters from the beginning. You can anticipate that the sequel will have a lot more room to work with.

One criticism: Bana's character felt under-developed.

Also, Simon Pegg as Scotty was marvelous.
    "That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Just saw it, it was an awesome movie. Not what I was expecting at all. Go see it, now.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    inclusion of Scott's cuddly cohort that piques interest
    Did Scotty have a little thing like that in TOS?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations