• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fan films

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fan made films (not to be confused with fan edits of studio productions). The beauty is that most are not in violation of copyright and are often available in full on YouTube. Some are terrible, but occasionally someone produces one very well made that puts Hollywood to shame.

I enjoyed Never Hike Alone (Friday the 13th fan film). It was a slick, efficient little film (about an hour long), featured a cameo by Thom Mathews (portrayed Tommy Jarvis in Friday VI), and IMO was a fresher, more original take on the universe lore than the last several official films. There are tons of fan films based on official horror IPs (easy to produce horror on a low budget looking as good and sometimes better than what the bigger studios are making).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Axanar, the film-to-be that led to Paramount barring feature length Star Trek fan films. Notable how many elements from Axanar were later included (less effectively) in Discovery. Disco comes out feeling like a clunky, shittily written fan production backed by a major studio and produced with a big budget—pretty embarrassing. Also, anyone who says the TOS design aesthetic can’t be adapted for modern audiences and SFX should shut up and watch these (along with the Enterprise 2 Parter “In A Mirror Darkly” and some later episodes of the fan series New Voyages)--it would've looked even better if produced with the budget of one of the official series/films. The acting in Axanar may be…spotty…but no worse than Disco, imo. I also like how they were intending to frame the events through the lens of a documentary about the Klingon War--to my memory, that approach hasn't yet been done in an official Trek production, unless you count holodeck simulations of past events in a couple of one-off episodes here and there.

Last edited: