User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Well, if you ask me, the last thing we need strolling through the hallow'd cloisters of Oxbridge are a bunch of oiks with a BA in Scribbling from some trumped-up market town "university"; or Johnny Foreigners with "revolutionary" ideas, claiming to be the best thing since Jean-Paul Sartre's last bunk-up. Or fry-up. (I prefer the latter).

Good day to you, sir.
    ME-OW!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It's not a question about history. Oldest institutions aren't necessarily the best: Take for instance the Sorbonne, founded in 1253.
    Yes, the courses are taught in illustrious buildings, some are even genuine Gothic halls. But the quality is not that great, only average.

Anyway, the best universities in the world have been founded during the 19th century, and most of them are American, not British.
    If I could have the choice to join either Cambridge, Oxford or the MIT, I would choose the MIT: it's a no-brainer for me.
    While I won't argue with you on quality of programs, but there's an attitude and an image that comes with being around for so long. I personally would rather the places that wanted to be included since they'd put more effort into it and be a more reliable partner in the long run. MIT sounds neat, but there's enough in my own country for me to choose from.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Gloria Allelujah!

Hosannah Hosannah!

The University College of London seems to have answered positively!

It seems that they would have lost our first e-mail somewhere inside the limbo of the world wide web, but when we contacted one of our esteemed colleague on the phone, this one looked positively interested, even if he has to check with his institution and dean if they could afford to accomodate a few Japanese and Korean PhD candidates, since they have their own rival exchange programs with India.

We shall see. At least it seems we have managed to create some attention!

God bless the Queen!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP

I rest my case... UCL is good but not legendary, significantly easier to get them on board.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I rest my case... UCL is good but not legendary, significantly easier to get them on board.
    I don't care. Just obtaining a single positive answer is enough to make Blackmail happy!

And as a matter of fact, our British colleague in the UCL also gives lectures in Cambridge. But nonetheless he considers his UCL laboratory to be far better, considering our common field of knowledge (landscape & urbanism). And I trust his opinion.

---

Plus the UCL has more or less the same political culture than us: despite its elitism, it's a secular institution which is not obsessed with social classes or ethnic background.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

Gloria Allelujah!

Hosannah Hosannah!
    Well you got Blackmail! to finally sing praises to the almighty. That's certainly an accomplishment. Go Britain!

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't care. Just obtaining a single positive answer is enough to make Blackmail happy!

And as a matter of fact, our British colleague in the UCL also gives lectures in Cambridge. But nonetheless he considers his UCL laboratory to be far better, considering our common field of knowledge (landscape & urbanism). And I trust his opinion.

---

Plus the UCL has more or less the same political culture than us: despite its elitism, it's a secular institution which is not obsessed with social classes or ethnic background.

Youre daft, almost any of the non-top 3 or 4 Uni's would bite your hand off. Still you got there in the end.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well you got Blackmail! to finally sing praises to the almighty. That's certainly an accomplishment. Go Britain!
    Goddamn praise the Lord! (I've always loved that line).

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Goddamn praise the Lord! (I've always loved that line).
    LOL where is that from?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    LOL where is that from?
    Tremors. I've always taken a childish delight in the tongue-and-cheek profanity of that movie.