• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] What are INTP 9s like?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||| 34%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||| 22%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||| 18%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||| 38%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||| 30%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||| 34%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||| 42%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||| 54%

I think this implies 9 rather than 3... I could be wrong though...

I've read the profile a few times and haven't been able to relate to 9s harmony and peace aspects. Surely they're exagurated? Particularly for a thinker right?

What about INTP 5s? I'd like to know the difference here, if that's possible.

I seem to have 3 different 'personalities' depending on the situation,
1. Calm, cheerful, optimistic
2. Pessimistic, worried, negative,
3. Pushy, Loud, Arrogant, Efficient

hang on... isn't 9 like, ambivalent?

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I would agree based on those results that you are a 9 rather than a three as you scored low on 2 and 4. Your wings will influence you type. You did score high on 8, so it's possible that you are 9w8. The 8 wing would account for your agressive tendancies. The direction of disintegration for a 9 is 6, which would account for your worrying and anxiety. Also, you scored pretty high on 3, which is the direction of integration or growth for a nine.

I know one INTP 9, but he's 9w1. That makes a big difference, actually. I will say though that most people think he is incapable of anger until he is finally pushed too far. When he is pushed too far it's pretty shocking actually. It's strange to see such a calm person go berserk. He rarely does that though.

MBTI Type
INFJ
I suppose that my bf is an INTP 9, even though I don't know the wing..... I don't know too much on the enneagram, but as I see it, I can see the INTP-ness creating a conflict with his 9ness....he is really really calm, and it takes forever to annoy him and make him angry...... I often feel that when he gets angry, he turns his anger inward until he can hold it no longer......

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally speaking I would think an INTP E9 is rather laid back, often funny, and prone towards apathy when subjected to stresses. They avoid conflict because it is a nuisance and a distraction more than because they are hurt by it.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm almost never angry, but when I am, I let it go (and find it funny at the same time, it's kind of weird). I've only ever been seriously angry once as far as I remember, and I went off my face, swore, tipped over a couch and said I'd hate *insert name* from that point on. Needless to say, we're great friends now lol.

As for fights and drama, I see it as pointless and attempt to argue rationally to put a stop to it. I've figured out now that people just get irrational, they will have a go at you even if it's clearly ill deserved. You've just got to bear with it and bite your tongue, because you'll only make it worse.

I've heard that nines are hard to type because they act like all sorts of different types, that would explain why I was stuck between 5, 6, 7, 9, 2, and 3 :alttongue: I know there's a few INTP 9s on typoc, I have a feeling that they'd gravitate towards this forum, rather than INTPc.

Chloe

3s are image conscious 9s simply dont care about that stuff - I was told this by "enneagram teacher" ...who told me I simply cant be 9 if I care about image, even if I have more 9 than 3s characteristics atm! now I know the dude was right ;)

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
You know, I heard or read somewhere where someone said that if you identify with many different types on the enneagram, that you are either a 3, 6, or 9.

I'm just starting to learn about the enneagram though. I'm reading a book on it, which is how I typed myself, but I haven't finished the book yet. I might eventually come accross some information in the book that makes what I am writing now absolute rubbish. So, I would take some of my opinions on this matter with a grain of salt if I were you.:smile:

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I certainly favor the Big Five over the MBTI now, so using that I can describe what would generally tend to make an INTP 9 like myself.

Extroversion - you would expect this to be generally low to produce the I in INTP, and definitely low in the sub-trait of assertiveness to help produce a 9. I believe a lack of assertiveness explains why many 9's are I, although being an unassertive E is still possible despite being less likely.

Openness - high would be consistent with N

Conscientiousness - low would be somewhat consistent with P.

Neuroticism - a lack of this combined with a lack of extroversion make for an unemotional T type persona that tends to use logic when dealing with things.

Agreeableness - I would agree with the findings at similarminds.com that this is the hallmark of the 9, especially the element of this that makes it really difficult for them to tolerate conflict and arguments.

This is a good start for general info on the Big Five, and the five traits. I haven't looked for Big Five pages in a while, and when I did look, I couldn't find many on the topic.

Wikipedia Big Five page

Anyway, I find that there's a clear conclusion of T or F when people are high in neuroticism and agreeableness or low in both of them. Things can be confusing when they are opposites such as in myself. That's actually why I put a ? in place of T or F. Being labeled a T reflects my calm, logical demeanor, yet it causes people to miss the elements of my personality that come from high agreeableness (which usually aren't noticed here). F has been associated with high agreeableness, but being labeled an F makes it seem like I tend to be emotional and idealistic and being NF may even lead people to think I like art and poetry and things such as that.

Anyway, some people do not fit an enneagram mold very well at all, and then some people do. It would be good to avoid forced categorization here and perhaps consider what you could get out of the two or even three highest enneagram ratings. I always tested as a 9, but in many ways, I resemble a 5 like a typical INTP does.

I'm almost never angry, but when I am, I let it go (and find it funny at the same time, it's kind of weird). I've only ever been seriously angry once as far as I remember, and I went off my face, swore, tipped over a couch and said I'd hate *insert name* from that point on. Needless to say, we're great friends now lol.

As for fights and drama, I see it as pointless and attempt to argue rationally to put a stop to it. I've figured out now that people just get irrational, they will have a go at you even if it's clearly ill deserved. You've just got to bear with it and bite your tongue, because you'll only make it worse.

Anger falls under neuroticism instead of agreeableness or a lack of it. Being angry all the time would certainly detract from agreeableness and even fuel assertiveness (neuroticism does interfere with levels of other traits). That brings up some questions, though, that do not pertain to you (stepping off topic for a second). Does being angry frequently interfere with who you really are or is being frequently angry who you really are?

Anyway, as a clear 9 I can tell you that conflict is very stressful for me, especially when it's with someone who is important to me. Conflict can result in nearly wanting to cry, even as unemotional of a person as I am, and I'm naturally inclined to do almost anything to avoid it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Generally speaking I would think an INTP E9 is rather laid back, often funny, and prone towards apathy when subjected to stresses. They avoid conflict because it is a nuisance and a distraction more than because they are hurt by it.

awww... You can just say "MacGuffin" instead of all that. :hug:

I know one INTP 9, but he's 9w1. That makes a big difference, actually. I will say though that most people think he is incapable of anger until he is finally pushed too far. When he is pushed too far it's pretty shocking actually. It's strange to see such a calm person go berserk. He rarely does that though.

Very true. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

incredible_hulk.jpg

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stupid iPod double post.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
worthless.

combining 9 laziness with INTP intellectual superiority complex? :doh:

:D

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I certainly favor the Big Five over the MBTI now, so using that I can describe what would generally tend to make an INTP 9 like myself.

Extroversion - you would expect this to be generally low to produce the I in INTP, and definitely low in the sub-trait of assertiveness to help produce a 9. I believe a lack of assertiveness explains why many 9's are I, although being an unassertive E is still possible despite being less likely.

Openness - high would be consistent with N

Conscientiousness - low would be somewhat consistent with P.

Neuroticism - a lack of this combined with a lack of extroversion make for an unemotional T type persona that tends to use logic when dealing with things.

Agreeableness - I would agree with the findings at similarminds.com that this is the hallmark of the 9, especially the element of this that makes it really difficult for them to tolerate conflict and arguments.

I say its a mono-directional relationship:

intuitives are probably usually going to score high on openness. However, I do not think high openness necessarily means you are N (I would bet there are a lot more "S"s that score descent on openness in sheer aggregates). I remember reading some interesting info on how they "big 5" tested zip codes around the USA. What they found was distinct personalities. More amazingly they found that high openness was the #1 indicator of economic growth. Places like the midwest with high conscientiousness and neuroticism (Detroit car factor workers) were SOL. SF bay area was the highest in openness I think. As someone who has spent time there and lived in other states, I would definitely agree. And its way beyond just SF bay area being open to political things. Its almost like other areas that score lower on openness just have more pressure "to be normal" for all areas of life. Do I think the SF has more N's than other places? maybe, but I think theres probably a hell of a lot of "high openness" SJs there too...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
worthless.

combining 9 laziness with INTP intellectual superiority complex? :doh:

:D

I think the "laziness" tends to cancel out the superiority complex. Such things are a disturbance upon the force.At least it works nicely with Ti, minimal effort to get things working. And without that mentality, all of your household appliances would be a pain in the ass to turn on. :alttongue:

I might try reading Blackcat's Enneagram 9 profile, because I don't seem to fit with some of the nine profiles that I've read.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I say its a mono-directional relationship:

intuitives are probably usually going to score high on openness. However, I do not think high openness necessarily means you are N (I would bet there are a lot more "S"s that score descent on openness in sheer aggregates). I remember reading some interesting info on how they "big 5" tested zip codes around the USA. What they found was distinct personalities. More amazingly they found that high openness was the #1 indicator of economic growth. Places like the midwest with high conscientiousness and neuroticism (Detroit car factor workers) were SOL. SF bay area was the highest in openness I think. As someone who has spent time there and lived in other states, I would definitely agree. And its way beyond just SF bay area being open to political things. Its almost like other areas that score lower on openness just have more pressure "to be normal" for all areas of life. Do I think the SF has more N's than other places? maybe, but I think theres probably a hell of a lot of "high openness" SJs there too...

I have US maps of I think three different Big Five traits indicating where they're really high, high, moderate, low, and really low. Still, whenever you have general statistics like that, they never tell the whole story. I think Louisiana is at least moderate openness, if not high, but I can tell you pretty certainly that there's a lack of openness in this town.

Risaverc

3s are image conscious 9s simply dont care about that stuff - I was told this by "enneagram teacher" ...who told me I simply cant be 9 if I care about image, even if I have more 9 than 3s characteristics atm! now I know the dude was right ;)
Your teacher is wrong 9s care about their image a lot but more in a sense that they don't want to lose their connections rather than actively seeking the image thing

yeghor

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||| 34%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||| 22%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||| 18%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||| 38%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||| 30%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||| 34%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||| 42%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||| 54%

You are probably not around, yet:

IxTPs would have high enneagram 5 score.

Yours is rather enneagram 3 coupled with 9 = ESFJ, an image conscious feeler with traditionalist tendencies.

If 9 is stronger, that would be ISFJ instead. (ISFJ's tertiary and inferior function makes INTP).

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP 9s would be easily confused with feelers, were it not for their extreme social awkwardness. I've lived with one for around 5 years, a 9w1 sp/sx. He's very smart, but has a hard time applying that. He has issues with anxiety, and definitely is not the "rocking the boat" kind of person. He likes to stay in a routine and keep it that way, and generally for things to be as laid back as possible in life.