• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The problem with renewables

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Here is a great video discussing the issues with wind and solar.

Long story short until we surpass the energy density of lithium batteries none of this is feasible. Once we do, a little more of this becomes feasible.

Have a watch and discuss your opinions below. This fellow speaking Peter Zeihan is an International relations and Geo politics expert who predicted the war in Ukraine in 2014.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I support nuclear power backed by region-specific renewable (solar in deserts, wind turbines in plains, et al)

too bad we don’t have nuclear fusion based capability yet

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I support nuclear power backed by region-specific renewable (solar in deserts, wind turbines in plains, et al)

too bad we don’t have nuclear fusion based capability yet
It's only 30 years away! Something we've been telling ourselves for the last 70 years.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I am on that level as well. After all there is also hydro energy, hydrogen, geo-thermal energy, bio mass, energy effectiveness, etc.

Therefore the solution will require a landscape of solutions specific to each corner of the world. Since fossil fuels have much greater flaw than any renewable energy. Because they turn whole regions into deserts, they crash marine eco-systems that are massive food providers to billions, they will eventually submerge coastal cities, cause refugee waves and regional wars for resources .... etc. What is completely unsustainable and that evidently counts as a major flaw.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Doesn’t mean it isn’t worth pursuing. Put some NTPs in a lab somewhere on it and throw a small fraction of our energy budget at them.

I seen to get stories about breakthroughs all the time recently. I have only read a portion of them but it does seem promising.

Of course, if you hate urban elites because they weren't on reality TV you wouldn't want to do this.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Not only does it affect national security...
it's also the future of the economy...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way to use renewable energy sources, which include more than what is discussed in the video, is to include them in a multifaceted approach that includes other energy sources, whether natural gas, coal, nuclear, or anything else. There is no silver bullet for meeting world energy needs, or even the needs of a single nation. We need everything, and as we improve the technology to harness renewable sources, we can rely less on the others.