• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 2016 Healthy Habits Thread

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Cooking for the week:
- Breakfasts: Toast with homemade fruit spread, hard boiled egg, banana + whipped cream, and soup broth
- Lunches: Cabbage soup pieces fished from the broth, rice, stir-fried veggies with pesto, and crackers and cheese
- Dinners: Creamy chicken soup betty rocker style with a plop of rice in it and avocado sliced on top.
- Desserts: Homemade banana pudding made with bananas and tofu

Going to aim for gaining some lower body strength this week.

Raw milk. What are your thoughts?

My thought is it's unnecessary. Milk is milk. Works well as a recovery drink.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My thought is it's unnecessary. Milk is milk. Works well as a recovery drink.

There has been a lot of controversy over the years in regarding dairy farms and typical store brought milk. Namely, people using steroids in the milk supply that no doubt has caused concerns for the general population. Raw milk has all the nutritional values that milk ought to have, without the draw backs of chemicals or other strange substances.

But of course, totally your choice, lol, I was asking around since I've never drank it and was just curious. :hug:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There has been a lot of controversy over the years in regarding dairy farms and typical store brought milk. Namely, people using steroids in the milk supply that no doubt has caused concerns for the general population. Raw milk has all the nutritional values that milk ought to have, without the draw backs of chemicals or other strange substances.

But of course, totally your choice, lol, I was asking around since I've never drank it and was just curious. :hug:

There aren't steroids in the milk supply. That's people who don't know what they're talking about. What's more likely are lactation hormones or illegal antibiotics in the milk, from farmers attempting to increase milk production.

Raw milk is (imho) a marketing gimmick. There is no difference in nutritional value (protein, carb and vitamin content) between pasteurised organic milk and raw milk from the same source. However, drinking raw milk could give you salmonella, listeria, tuberculosis, brucellosis or scarlet fever, and is known to have caused deaths in infants. There is no reason whatsoever to take the risk.

More than raw milk, the latest fad is A2 milk. I'm not going to go into detail about that controversy unless people are curious but yeah, I'm still waiting for that one to play out.

(from someone who is severely lactose intolerant and only drinks black coffee or with soy/almond milk)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=26674]theforsaken[/MENTION] I'm not a milk expert, but I remember some agriculture gurus once told me that unpasteurized milk isn't safe to drink. I think you should look into that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

On top of nonsequitur's post, I'd add that you're always welcome to buy high quality milks... I've grown up drinking the cheapest most available of milk's out there, but the standards for organic and non-organic are not that much higher honestly.

What’s the Difference Between Organic and Conventional Milk | The Scientific Parent

But, there are lots of brands that do non-antibiotic milks, that have higher protein levels (usually added in, but still), lower sugar levels, etc. etc that taste really great, so if you have the money to spend on that, it's no problem.. and if you're concerned about milk, you can always just.. make your own. If added things to milk scares you, you're probably better off buying wholesale almonds/coconut/cashews and soaking them overnight, blending them, and straining them. It's pretty easy to do and gives you a supply of milk for a few days at a time.. I even know people who make big batches and freeze them and thaw them in the fridge overnight for a fresh daily supply.

I don't doubt that raw milk is alright for some people.. but there IS a risk associated with it, and I feel like people who sell you raw milk don't emphasize that risk. My dad grew up drinking the stuff, but he lived on a farm and literally grew up with different resistances and immunities than someone who might just start drinking it out of the blue from an urban environment. And, of course, he knew the cow itself and literally drank it from his own source, not a stranger's. And his mother slaughtered the cow when it got sick more than a few times. So... I'd just say tread cautiously if you're going to go raw.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yesterday I walked 4 miles and did legs at the gym. That should compensate for the chicken fried steak and coconut cream pie, right? :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Betty Rocker is doing a 30 day challenge in October and I wanna... :( !!

:laugh: In other news, that soup came out amazing.. way better than I thought it would, and especially with queso fresco crumbled in it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Y'all, I've been bad and I've forgotten to have lunch twice in the past week and a half. Once was today, and I have a cold. I also haven't been sleeping enough. :(

Posting here to hold myself accountable. I need to recover and take better care of myself!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Y'all, I've been bad and I've forgotten to have lunch twice in the past week and a half. Once was today, and I have a cold. I also haven't been sleeping enough. :(

Posting here to hold myself accountable. I need to recover and take better care of myself!

I always figured if I forgot lunch out of being busy/not too hungry, it wasn't so bad... Sometimes busy weeks just happen. But forgetting it because of having anxiety-driven motivations about how I look or my weight.. not so cool for me. Luckily my tummy has never cared about that stuff and demands food the way the old gods demanded goats.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always figured if I forgot lunch out of being busy/not too hungry, it wasn't so bad... Sometimes busy weeks just happen. But forgetting it because of having anxiety-driven motivations about how I look or my weight.. not so cool for me. Luckily my tummy has never cared about that stuff and demands food the way the old gods demanded goats.
Something very, very similar happens to me. Not to do with anxiety, but to do with a history of unhealthy, control-oriented behaviors. Which isn't something I necessarily want or need to go into in a thread like this. Point is, I think a lot of people are triggered by hunger -- more people, even, than have body image issues. And a LOT of people have body image issues.

Anyway. I feel pretty bad after not eating for a while. There's a little bit of mental stuff, yeah, but mostly I feel "off". Sort of light-headed and drifty.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Something very, very similar happens to me. Not to do with anxiety, but to do with a history of unhealthy, control-oriented behaviors. Which isn't something I necessarily want or need to go into in a thread like this. Point is, I think a lot of people are triggered by hunger -- more people, even, than have body image issues. And a LOT of people have body image issues.

Anyway. I feel pretty bad after not eating for a while. There's a little bit of mental stuff, yeah, but mostly I feel "off". Sort of light-headed and drifty.

What I find myself doing is self-sabotaging by being lazy in the moment and then regretting it later.. thinking I wont be as hungry as I am. I've learned my own schedule now :) but it was a struggle starting my new job for a while.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The "not-eating diet" doesnt work as a note of personal experience. The body doesnt like anything about itself, except for its fat.
After my breakup I lost all apettite and only lived on alcohol and cigarettes. That brought me down to size M and 22% body fat. Then a year later - often regulary eating around 4.000 kcal - I am between size XL/XXL at 22% body fat now. I measured that fat with a caliper. So bottom line is not eating doesnt help to reduce body fat (except you are way over 30% plus as a male). I still got issues tho, getting rid of that body fat. I dont have a lot of time for cooking and I like drinkin beer and a low-carb diet ruins my mood. I always have one or two very healthy meals a day, reduced my meat intake and rather go with nuts and coldpressed oils or fish. I dont do any cardio, cause its boring, probably should work on that :). Or maybe change from volume training to HIT in weightlifting.

The beer tho wont be erased from the nutritions list :)

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Red meat. Is it really as evil as some people say it is? Why or why not?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I changed my commute from taking the bus to walking. Not only does it save me more time (the new route to the bus interchange is longer and more confusing), it helps me up my steps per day.

I also found that I'm fond of endurance training. Last week, while I was baking myself alive at the beach, I much preferred swimming over volleyball. Maybe it's partly because I need time to learn how to play it, or that my aiming sucks, or maybe I find traveling distances more entertaining than feeling arm bruise and watching the ball bounce to nowhere or on people's heads.

I might want to try frisbee the next time I go to the beach or open park.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've mentioned before that I don't care about losing weight. I know eating is 75% of weight loss, and I already eat pretty well IMO, so that hasn't been a priority. I don't own a scale. I'm not calorie counting. But I HAVE been working out more. 2x a week minimum, 3-4x max.

So... I'm redistributing. All my clothing still fits, but it fits differently. I'm gaining muscle and probably losing some fat.

Which is where we get to the tragic part of this story.

My curves are flattening out. :sadbanana:

Hello muscular thighs. Hello defined shoulders and biceps/triceps. Goodbye boobs and butt.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depends on your perspective. I'm against labelling any food as "evil" though. It's a slippery slope there to an eating disorder. One should never assign moral terms to food.

When cooked at high temperatures, there's a cancer-causing compound that is formed in red meat, which is the reason why it was put in the same class as cigarettes by the WHO. It also tends to contain higher % of fat, which is why many people who are trying to lose weight cut red meat out of their diet.

However. Red meat is also a good source of iron - you can get your full nutritional needs being a vegetarian (leafy greens such a spinach also contain iron) and as a vegan (provided you supplement B12) but the form of iron in greens is nowhere as bio-available (able to be absorbed by the body) as that in animal sources such as red meat and liver. Vegetarians with low iron can increase by 4x the body's absorption by eating high iron vegetables together with citrus, or taking iron supplements, but generally speaking, it's not very efficient. This is generally a problem with pre-menopausal women who are vegetarians/vegans.

I'm on the anaemic side of the scale so I eat red meat or liver 1-2 times a week - and even so, I control the portion because there's no need to eat a steak-sized portion for my iron needs.

The main reason why most people are asked to reduce their intake of red meat is simply because they eat far too much of it. There are also environmental reasons to reduce consumption - which I won't go into here. But suffice to say, it's not the most energy/water/financially efficient way to generate a food source, and a lot of the farms that produce red meat are heavily subsidised by taxpayers.

This turned out longer than I intended.

I've mentioned before that I don't care about losing weight. I know eating is 75% of weight loss, and I already eat pretty well IMO, so that hasn't been a priority. I don't own a scale. I'm not calorie counting. But I HAVE been working out more. 2x a week minimum, 3-4x max.

So... I'm redistributing. All my clothing still fits, but it fits differently. I'm gaining muscle and probably losing some fat.

Which is where we get to the tragic part of this story.

My curves are flattening out. :sadbanana:

Hello muscular thighs. Hello defined shoulders and biceps/triceps. Goodbye boobs and butt.
:D Welcome to my world when I was running.

You can build perky boobs by working your chest though - bench press/push ups are good for that, it tightens your pectoral muscles and prevents sagging.

For a great butt, I recommend squats (particularly heavy barbell squats) and deadlifts - they work the entire back and posterior chain. I can't fit most pants now because my butt got big but waist stayed small. :newwink:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Not bothering to really cook right now, just going to eat down some leftovers in the fridge and make a soup out of the rest of the veggies therein.

Cabbage soup was a liiittle rough on my tummy, but it was still yummy. Mostly going to be some sandwiches, sauteed veggies and such.

I have a weird split week this week, which always sucks... but this time maybe I can spend the evening painting my costume.. it's quiet and lengthy, the two important things for 'a thing I need to do while my bf sleeps'.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5076]nonsequitur[/MENTION], I think that no matter the type of diet one follows, if they eat poorly and too much of something, they will put on the weight. I've known overweight and even obese vegetarians/vegans, thinking that their processed plant-based junk food is totally okay to munch on everyday. I think that thing you said about iron and b-12 cause a lot of concern for me, since I too, am anemic. I suppose veganism is not for me.

That said, I do wonder if there is a correlation between the run of the mill (pun unintended) slaughterhouses who pump those animals with things that shouldn't be in them, like the growth hormones that can make them twice or even thrice its original size, as well as the cancerous cooking methods (barbecuing/grilling) with hydrogenated oils can make meat so dangerous to eat nowadays. What is your take? I read this book about a woman who was always obese and almost killed herself at 24 from her eating habits, and now she eats grass fed red meat and is pushing a US dress size 4 and has an amazing blood panel from the doctors. She said its not certain foods itself that are bad, but the way they are produced and marketed, if that makes sense.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I think it's fine in moderation but I don't think it's evil. I don't eat much of it anymore - maybe once or twice a month. We have a lot of fish and other seafood plus chicken. I read this list of grilling ideas and I ended up making this suggestion many time.

Steak salad with almost no steak: Halve endives or radicchio; brush with oil and grill. Sprinkle with bits of blue cheese and bits of charred steak.

This is so simple and it's great. Maybe some grilled garlic bread and grilled stone fruits for dessert.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/dining/30mini.html?_r=2