• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tales of The Dying Earth...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Guardian of Ga'Hoole
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The drought in Michigan, as well as river and stream levels, has probably improved a bit since the date on the map. I've measured about 5.5in/14cm since last Friday.

It seems like the weather is like a JPG that's rotated 90 degrees. We're getting PNW weather, and the PNW is getting SW weather.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The drought in Michigan, as well as river and stream levels, has probably improved a bit since the date on the map. I've measured about 5.5in/14cm since last Friday.

The system fluctuates all the time, but that isn't really the point. The point is that in many places it fluctuates "in the red".
In other words Michigan as many other places has "L" on it. What means "long drought" and that means messing up the underground water levels, what requires much more rain to truly fix the issues. Since long term drought lowers the water levels in the ground and that eventually hits the plants in mass, since their roots are no longer deep enough. Every rain helps of course but if there is truly a serious drought this isn't enough to truly do the trick (as you probably already know).

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This could easily become a new record low ice cover in the September, when the summer melting ends.
Structural integrity seems to be pretty low.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Guardian of Ga'Hoole
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Coriolis

Between the Shadows
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This seems like good news.

I was curious if electric vehicles were really better, because that electricity has to come somewhere. Apparently they are. For instance, gasoline has to be transported to gas stations by trucks and that's no longer an issue.

Fact check: Electric cars emit less, are better for environment
Direct emissions are certainly less, but the overall environmental impact depends strongly on the electricity source the cars use. As the article states:
Daniel B. Work, a professor at Vanderbilt University, said the source of electricity for electric vehicles remains a concern but emissions "continue to drop as the electricity generation mix shifts towards sources with lower emissions."

It also correctly cites lithium batteries as an environmental concern. Recycling them is good; developing alternative battery technology would be even better.

The Cat

All Good Things...
Staff member
And Elon works really hard to keep any competition still born...so much for progress eh Muskie?:dry:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Guardian of Ga'Hoole
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Direct emissions are certainly less, but the overall environmental impact depends strongly on the electricity source the cars use. As the article states:

It also correctly cites lithium batteries as an environmental concern. Recycling them is good; developing alternative battery technology would be even better.

Yeah, that was the part that made me wonder. The article says it wouldn't be good enough in China, but what about the US? It implies that this wouldn't be an issue for the U.S, although I admit I take that with a grain of salt. I'm not sure how to find out how to confirm that.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As I said a few post back this has a potential to become a record low year in the Arctic sea ice. Especially since it now became the record low for the date (July 5th).

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Here there is also a heat wave for something like 2 weeks now and there is no end in sight.
What little rain there should have been was removed from forecast. So the soil is dry dust and the plants are dying (and this isn't even the worst part of the country).