• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

rewire brain for positive thinking

Lark

Does anyone know if there is any validity to the claim that if you do an exercise wherein you write down three things for which you are grategful/three positive things about your life, for 21 days, that it will "rewire" your thinking from positive to negative?

I saw this in an instagram and wondered if there was anything to it or if it was an invention of social media.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like some deepak chopra, power of positive thinking pseudoscience bs, although I’d be curious to see some studies on the matter.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think happiness is about keeping score, as if that's justification for guilting ourselves because we think we should feel a certain way. Some things are more significant to our happiness than others. I would consider an exercise like this a momentary distraction from something more pressing and negative that the person may not feel ready to address. I think it's okay and maybe even necessary to sit in your crap for a while until it pushes you to figure things out.

I actually did have to keep a one-month gratitude journal for my health class. The result was that I felt more annoyed and resentful about having to force myself to think of things to write down every day, and I was relieved when it was done. If you are honestly grateful for something, you don't have to prove it to yourself by writing it down. At least that's how I felt.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's always sounded like bullshit to me, though I've never tried it myself.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it takes a bit more than this level of simplicity, but certainly, there's very good benefits to trying to create positive self talk and talk of others as well.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like some deepak chopra, power of positive thinking pseudoscience bs, although I’d be curious to see some studies on the matter.

I think it is actually backed by research, at least somewhat. I've read a few books by Martin Seligman that touched on the subject. I haven't committed to 21 days, but similar exercises have actually made me feel better.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I would think it'd require more than some...3 times a day homework assignment, and would be something more along the lines of changing your thinking habits in general.

I won't do three times a day, because if there's nothing to write down and I'd have to force it, then that's just... sad. I do appreciate things that make me happy, though.

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It could work for some people, i doubt its going to work for everyone though, people have different tolerance in routine and that impacts their ability to maintain a habit or to even form one.

Its a complicated subject because the method applied will differ according to the individual and their mentality or issues. For example a therapist would need to put a patient with a chemical imbalance which impacts their moods under meds first for that "rewiring" to have any chance of success. And in most 'serious" cases that are in high need of rewiring just to survive in normal life, some chemical imbalance or a trauma is likely to blame. Other than that therapists use reliable methods like CBT or CPT to deal with trauma for example. Maybe that is closer to the meaning of "rewiring" you are going for here.

As for neurotypicals, im guessing it still differs, ive seen various specific takes from researches when it comes to the number of days or how often the behavior needs to be repeated, maybe this one like others is the average of the results observed from a statistical research.

Personally i would examine what makes me happy/what i want and try to minimize what makes me unhappy/how my issues affect me instead and develop behaviors that are healthier and more productive to maximize the chance for happiness in the future.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Personally i would examine what makes me happy/what i want and try to minimize what makes me unhappy/how my issues affect me instead and develop behaviors that are healthier and more productive to maximize the chance for happiness in the future.
I think the post is really pertaining more to negative thinking patterns / pessimism. There are some things that are perspective based, not behavior/action based.

I tend to fall on the positive thinking side, but back before meds my therapist was addressing my negative thinking.

But for example...this post of mine from the other day...

I mean, I could be all negative about the fact that I still don't have a proper income / haven't found a job yet, sit around whining and miserable about it, or I can keep my head up and look for opportunities. It's all a matter of perspective and how you think of things.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I won't do three times a day, because if there's nothing to write down and I'd have to force it, then that's just... sad. I do appreciate things that make me happy, though.
Sometimes it must be forced if retraining the brain; not because it's inauthentic, but because some people haven't developed the habit of paying attention to what there is to be grateful for and they habitually focus on the negative right away. The "force" involved only comes from shifting what your focus is on if they think of things they're genuinely grateful for. They're basically just changing their habits.

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the post is really pertaining more to negative thinking patterns / pessimism. There are some things that are perspective based, not behavior/action based.

I tend to fall on the positive thinking side, but back before meds my therapist was addressing my negative thinking.

But for example...this post of mine from the other day...

I mean, I could be all negative about the fact that I still don't have a proper income / haven't found a job yet, sit around whining and miserable about it, or I can keep my head up and look for opportunities. It's all a matter of perspective and how you think of things.

Yeah i realized a bit late that i focused more on the habit formation in my reply instead of that, Im not sure if recycling some things you like in yourself daily would help that much. Atleast i would expect myself to just think of them once and then just absorb them as reality. If im not happy it means that the fact that they are there alone doesnt make me happy. So i would look for what causes my unhappiness instead.

EDIT: nvm its about things you are grateful for... well maybe i can see that helping but i dont think it would forever change my mindset from negative to positive either.

Im probably more on the positive thinking side myself though and even at my worst i rarely felt really hopeless, in the back of my head i always thought i would stand back up and make things work later. And I realize that my focus was always to solve the problem tormenting me which almost always seemed to be doable. Loss or Regret are the only things that made me lose hope temporarily. But if I am naturally like that i cant really speak for someone who is naturally thinking in negative perspectives so i guess - i would suggest trying to view problems from the solution's angle instead of how much they affect your life. If its impossible and it really gets in the way of your life, maybe something is wrong and therapy is needed.

~~Not addressing you in 2nd person here, just throwing my take.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Yeah i realized a bit late that i focused more on the habit formation in my reply instead of that, Im not sure if recycling some things you like in yourself daily would help that much. Atleast i would expect myself to just think of them once and then just absorb them as reality. If im not happy it means that the fact that they are there alone doesnt make me happy. So i would look for what causes my unhappiness instead.
And if you can't change it? Say, for example, if you didn't like how you look?

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And if you can't change it? Say, for example, if you didn't like how you look?

Well i mean, i dont really like how i look either, finding other things i like about myself and overall external appearance/contribution makes that specific trait much less significant though. My confidence is almost entirely built on my change, development in qualities i value that i have instead of crying over those i dont. You may call it positive thinking but what matters in the end is the perfect balance of your traits making you "desirable or accepted". If the others are strong enough to pull your shortcomings and you cover your weaknesses enough to not be that vulnerable in those areas, then i think you get the solution you are looking for.

Now in this specific example if your goal is to just look good in the mirror instead, you could definitely try to reach your potential atleast and become the best version of yourself. If that isnt enough, consider plastic surgery. In most cases people are just likely to overlook those options and settle with what they have now dwelling in disappointment. But those options are there. Being willing to recognize them and try them is what brings positivity in your life.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Well i mean, i dont really like how i look either, finding other things i like about myself and overall external appearance/contribution makes that specific trait much less significant though. My confidence is almost entirely built on my change, development in qualities i value that i have instead of crying over those i dont. You may call it positive thinking but what matters in the end is the perfect balance of your traits making you "desirable or accepted". If the others are strong enough to pull your shortcomings and you cover your weaknesses enough to not be that vulnerable in those areas, then i think you get the solution you are looking for.

Now in this specific example if your goal is to just look good in the mirror instead, you could definitely try to reach your potential atleast and become the best version of yourself. If that isnt enough, consider plastic surgery. In most cases people are just likely to overlook those options and settle with what they have now dwelling in disappointment. But those options are there. Being willing to recognize them and try them is what brings positivity in your life.
And there you have it.

The plastic surgery though...not a healthy alternative because that's exactly why some people go too far with it.

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And there you have it.

The plastic surgery though...not a healthy alternative because that's exactly why some people go too far with it.

well, depends on how important x physical trait is for you. Personally i wouldnt go for it but i cant speak for everyone.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
well, depends on how important x physical trait is for you. Personally i wouldnt go for it but i cant speak for everyone.
There are people who get caught up in it and continuously have surgeries because they are never satisfied with how they look since they're so focused on negatives.