• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It's astonishing how The Washington Post can employ such an oblivious, shrill, hypocritical windbag:

I think my most recent favorite is this..

The author is a practicing psychologist that works for...…The American Enterprise Institute.

The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, known simply as the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), is a right-leaning Washington, D.C.–based think tank that researches government, politics, economics, and social welfare.[2][3] AEI is an independent nonprofit organization supported primarily by contributions from foundations, corporations, and individuals. Founded in 1938, AEI is commonly associated with conservatism and neoconservatism but does not support political candidates.[4]
There is no hidden widespread left wing authoritarianism whatever the fuck this woman with an obvious right wing agenda is saying. There are authoritarians, period. This is not the issue the author has though. Her issue is that perceived left policies like political correctness won't allow anyone to talk about left wing authoritarianism. Of course there are some people on the left that embrace that Daddy spank me and tell me what to do authoritarianism just like conservatives. They're called moderate/centrist liberals.

The only remaining argument the right has now is - yeah we are horrible garbage people with subhuman policies but SO IS THE LEFT SO LOOK OVER THERE AND NOT AT US! so we don't lose and/or kill off with Covid, every single voter we have. We'll just suppress the rest of the votes and stay in power for eternity.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
@ceecee

It's not about censorship, or even about what Kagan is saying in his op-ed. He may even turn out to be right, but color me skeptical. It's about his performace, his track record as a pundit and analyst. To put it bluntly, he has not earned the right to be that self-confident in his opinions.

The problem is that people like Kagan, wonks, analysts or whatever you want to call them, who have, over the years, consistently been wrong (sometimes spectacularly wrong) in their assessments of political or diplomatic or economic (like Lawrence Summers), whose recommended policies also consistently fail (one of Kagan's favorites having failed just a couple few weeks ago), should, for one, have some intellectual humility and not write so forcefully and with so much authority (again, like Larry Summers. And the people who read them should know Summers' and Kagan's and others' track records and take take what they say with a grain of salt (a lot of grains of salt).

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Attacks on Sinema turn increasingly personal

Not even mad about this. This is what happens when you basically catfish your electorate by running as a progressive, then turn around and give them the middle finger on actual votes on the issues you ran in favor of.

The sad part is that she is such a narcissist that she probably loves being the center of all the national news, despite it mostly being about what an awful, corrupt piece of garbage.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Fantastic news. Let's get back all the things we use to have (like post office banking 1910-1967) that the political winds took from the American people.

Now do some public banks.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fantastic news. Let's get back all the things we use to have (like post office banking 1910-1967) that the political winds took from the American people.

Now do some public banks.
Postal banking? I would be happy if they could just deliver the mail on time. Even post-Trump, delays continue:

Overseas mail is especially slow.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Postal banking? I would be happy if they could just deliver the mail on time. Even post-Trump, delays continue:

understand the mailpeople's perspective.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Kephalos

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The link between extremist culture and the military goes way back, as do efforts to track and deal with it. The names of the groups have changed over the years—they used to sound German, now they sound moralistic—but the problem hasn’t. For instance, in 2009, Operation Vigilant Eagle, an FBI program focused on the recruitment of veterans by white-supremacist groups, came to light, and that same year a Department of Homeland Security assessment warned that “right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans”—returning, that is, from America’s distant, never-ending wars. Conservative politicians, media personalities, and veterans’ groups found that DHS report insulting to veterans and got it withdrawn.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can get a package from China to Germany in under a week but it takes about a month to get here from the US. I sometimes wonder if they put the parcels on little rafts and let them float across the Atlantic:thinking:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't know how many of you saw it but 538 has pretty good page on how current redistricting is going.

538 redistricting
I'm pretty involved with the redistricting (I've commented in person in front of the committee several times and drawn my own map) in Michigan. I encourage others to get involved in their states as well.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm pretty involved with the redistricting (I've commented in person in front of the committee several times and drawn my own map) in Michigan. I encourage others to get involved in their states as well.
I didn't know it was possible for rank-and-file citizens to get involved with such a thing.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I didn't know it was possible for rank-and-file citizens to get involved with such a thing.
For sure. The committee itself is also made up of rank and file citizens that submitted applications after the redistricting proposition passed overwhelmingly in 2018 . Democratic processes are slow and this is a huge task but I'm pleased with how this is going.

Here's the MI site if you want to check out the way maps are drawn, dunno if IL is putting a prop on the ballot for redistricting but I'm certain it needs to.

Kephalos

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
A modest proposal for left-wing Democrats: 2022 is an opportunity for you to take over the Democratic Party. The way they can do that is by forcing a Democratic loss in marginal seats (and even in non-marginal seats if possible).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A modest proposal for left-wing Democrats: 2022 is an opportunity for you to take over the Democratic Party. The way they can do that is by forcing a Democratic loss in marginal seats (and even in non-marginal seats if possible).
Meh, I'd rather eat Irish babies.