• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random All about Academic life Discussion Thread

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
This is the place to put anything you have in mind about academic life like, opinion, review, testimonies, information, critique, lecture, assignment, grading, research, finance related: tuition, scholarship, experience about academic life at all level. If you are are a prospective student who has something to discuss or a graduate who is thinking about going back to school again, or you are already graduate who only wanted to share your past academic experience, or you are are a current student who want to share something about your academic life. You are all welcomed to share in this thread.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Have you ever witnessed your university student acquaintances sharing their living place together?
When I was a university student, I had three male acquaintances that did so. They rented a house with three bedrooms, one kitchen,a bathroom, and a living room. They must have spent much less because the rental cost must have also been shared among three of them, that may have been dramatically reduced to only one third of the full rental price for each. I was thinking that I wanted to do the same also so that the spending on rental cost will be more efficient but predict actual finding the willing partner (s) is probably not as easy as coming up with the plan.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I once assumed a student could be what in their dream of by being educated in university while it is actually not really guaranteed. Like," those who want to be an engineer must enroll in faculty of engineering", whereas after graduation, engineering graduates still have to apply for a job in engineering field that may not be successfully landed. Even after being successfully accepted, whether they can stay in it or not still depends on many things. This probably only applies for special education like military academy.

Last edited:

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm really excited to start graduate school, tbh. It still feels surreal that I got into a top program for what I want to do that I keep wanting to pinch myself. I just hope everything returns to semi-normal by the time I start in the fall.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I was thinking the faculty may be oblivious about statistical consultant practice and the academic cheating by student who use their service, that happens in Indonesia link. But I question myself How come?; Now that they have website, they are easily found online. Perhaps It is under the government authority ; not University to ban or not to ban statistical consultant business operation, but, how about the student?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Academic Cheating Control and Identification
In elementary, mid school, and highschool, university, cheating may happen in a more controlled environment, like classroom. A common practice that I have seen is that they may use proctor to oversee student during an exam. But In research paper assignment, cheating happens in environment beyond their control. Although they may be well informed of statistician practices who offers service to student researcher, A University can’t just order to close their business.
Identification also becomes harder. In school, as far as I remember, formula cheat sheet, text book hidden in a drawer desk are traditionally used as tool for cheating student. Students who use those during an exam can be identified as cheater if caught in the act along with those tools as concrete evidence. But how to identify a student researcher who pays statistician, claimed it as their own work and reported it to their supervisor who then assess them based on it is probably a problem not yet solved.
False Input for academic assessment
By submitting others work but claiming as if their own, Cheater Student provides their assessor with a false input for academic assessment. When it is actually others work, unaware assessor may assume it is the work of student whose name written on their exam paper, homework, assignment, or any other form of assessment basis.
Students that don't want to study

Students themselves won’t undergo the learning process as what they are supposed to as student, when in fact they ask someone else either voluntarily or professionally to do some or all their academic work (e.g statistical analysis to statistician). Showing this behavior may signify they actually don’t want to be a student.

Because of the practice, it is plausible when people are suspicious of Indonesian social science graduates that their research paper may be partly assisted by paid statisticians. Because of this also, I myself have lost confidence to any social science major graduate from Indonesia in any level of education. This also makes me somewhat reluctant to continue my study in Indonesia worrying that they might be stereo-typically suspicious on me as cheater student also if I did. I am looking for better study environment.
Does this happen also in Other countries?
I am curious in other countries, whether statistician who offers professional help for social science student researcher is also available, hence opens the opportunity for them to cheat like in Indonesia

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Plan To Cheat Since Enrolling is Likely
With the availability of paid statistician who targets them as their market in Indonesia, indonesian graduate students who decide to continue their study in Indonesia, are likely to conceive a plan that the statistical part of their research is getting done by paid statistician. They are perhaps also certain that they can get it only in Indonesia. They may not be motivated to go overseas because this kind of statistician is probably not be available there hence professional help when they experience difficulty with statistics in their research might not be available for them.
After all We need at least a person who acts entrepreneurially so that a statistics consulting tiny business can be set up, hence made available while the kind of person may not be always available everywhere. In other words, from academic assessment perspective , They probably already plan to cheat when researching since enrolling.

Reason To seek Help in Statistics

AFAIK, in my major (Business) curriculum, only 6 credits statistics are available , while in statistics major is almost the whole credits (typically 144) for bachelor degree. I am informed that Other social science major (like economics) study some statistics also but still not as many credits as student in statistics major. Although their research will highly likely use some statistics, their academic background is not as strong as those student who graduate from statistics major. This is probably the main reason of why social science student can feel lack of self confidence to do their academic work that related to statistics themselves hence wants other’s with stronger academic background in statistics to help. They perhaps expect to find their man in the statistician entrepreneur.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Fresh Graduates might get bad potential employer review

My father told me that He when acted as hiring manager, before he retired, He sometimes raised interview questions that related to research paper to university fresh graduate that applied job in the company he worked for. He wanted to check whether the applicant himself did the research paper or he could have asked someone else. Applicant who weren’t able to provide sensible explanation to their own research paper are questionable: how come this applicant can't explain his own work?. He likely rejected such applicants by usually telling them to wait up to 2 weeks to wait for news from us.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Sometimes I think that the academia who assigns a social science research paper is misguided and so are the students who conducts the research paper on their own. When I took the research paper, the I assumed that I was the researcher, therefore anything that is related to research : from proposal, data collection, data processing, research report, funding or sponsor, must be prepared by me as student researcher. I only realized that it doesn't have to be so in order that the research becomes correctly conducted, just when I worked for a multinational market research company.

If university is not able to do as what the research company do, They should consider replacing the research paper final assignment with research company visit to teach their students that they should see for themselves how a social science research is conducted step by step by a company. Here, some multinational and local market research company run their bussiness in Indonesia, so that should be feasible. The problem is probably whether they-the research company- willing to accept student and if yes, as what role? may be intern? Instead of continue producing low quality of research paper assigning it to student, probably wishing students could do as what company can, it would be better to firstly learn how to conduct it correctly from recognized research company.

This may happen because only one author name that is allowed on the research paper: the student name and that will be the basis of their individual assessment. Others name may be written but it is usually only written as something like thank you remark; not some kind of a co-author. Because of this custom, It will be a complicated issue that if we ask someone else to contribute in the research like providing statistical analysis, but not acknowledging their work, as we might be judged cheating.
I predict citation on university social science research paper will be low, signifying unrecognized expertise on the university student research work.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
In my past research also, it happened to me that I got a statistical concept: auto correlation, used in my research paper but was not covered my major statistics course curriculum, but since I found out that previous researcher use the statistical test also in different countries, I decided to use it with the same problem but this time in Indonesia. It would have been easier to just leave the analysis using an unfamiliar statistical concept to statistics graduate that acts as entrepreneur now. With pretty large credit difference in statistics (6 compared to almost 144),They must have been already familiar with the topic. Rather than studying it on my own and learn how to perform it on software without any teachers' help as I actually underwent, wouldn't it have been faster to just pay the price they asked for and without undergoing individual learning effort just wait for the result, and claimed it my own work, submitted it to my supervisor.
When doing my past research, It happened to me that one of my closest friend told me that he got help in his research paper statistic and he implied to suggest me to do so as far as I remember, and my own mother suggested me to outsource the data processing part to statistician. They were trying to help me though in a way that is still irritating to me. Some would think that if the university is not able to identify the cheater, the cheater and the student who did the research paper on their own will be no different in the university's perspective. Both graduate. Both get the diploma. Both get the degree. They would argue that if so, then why bother not to cheat?
My teachers as far as I remember told me also That we are not educated as statisticians and statistic is only a tool for decision making. My teacher would imply anything related to statistics should be handled not by us, because we are lack of academic background on it. This might lead the students to just use the statistician paid service; instead of doing it on their own as they are supposed to.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Statistician Entrepreneur as a Ghost Contributor
Have you ever heard about ghost writer? I actually need more research about the terminology and I have little information about it. If you know more about it, can you tell us more?

As I understand Ghost writer is a freelance professional who sells writing service to a client and gets paid for it but the writer's name will never be mentioned. Therefore, Any legal rights of the book will be owned by the client ; not the writer. I imagine that a company who had a book project would actually pay a ghost writer for finishing the project since It would be an incorrect managerial decision for them to recruit a writer as an employee while book project is a non routine job.
I notice similarities between statistician entrepreneur who serves cheating student researcher and the ghost writer: both gets paid of their writing contribution to their client, but their name are both never mentioned in the written work result hence not acknowledged. So let just call the statistician entrepreneur a ghost contributor.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
It would be better for the academic world, if the statistics consultant did not serve student researcher. As alternative clients, they should target private business, NGO, Government agencies, etc. If that happened, student researcher wouldn't have any open opportunity to cheat anymore when researching even if the statistician entrepreneurs are still allowed to run their businesses by the government. But I wonder whether the entrepreneur is willing to do so. For them, It would mean they have to re-orientate the market they serve from student to non student which might not be easily redirected.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
As long as academia insist on individual assessment, others assistance can’t be deemed collaboration. When the academia cannot make sure that an academic work is an indeed individual effort result produced by student himself/herself; not from anyone else, we must question who is actually graded by the assessor: the individual student or may be someone else. In the case of the statistician ghost contributor that happens in Indonesia, who is supposed to be get partially graded is the statistician contributor, who contributes to student research paper, because they in fact help produce the statistic result. However, they aren't given any grade since they are not university student. The academic grade should not be fully given to the student researcher who get unacknowledged paid statistician assistance for their research.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
It would be better for the academic world, if the statistics consultant did not serve student researcher. As alternative clients, they should target private business, NGO, Government agencies, etc. If that happened, student researcher wouldn't have any open opportunity to cheat anymore when researching even if the statistician entrepreneurs are still allowed to run their businesses by the government. But I wonder whether the entrepreneur is willing to do so. For them, It would mean they have to re-orientate the market they serve from student to non student which might not be easily redirected.
Government can actually play its role to this by licencing i.e Not to permit them serve student researcher. But they have to think up how to constantly oversee it just in case they don't comply.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I was thinking Follow up disciplinary action by university can be taken by e.g expelling the student or even up to revoking the degree they have conferred to the student once they are able to identify the cheater. But somehow I feel it is too much. I heard it is plagiarism that can be sanctioned by expulsion, degree revocation, but I need more study on the topic. The problem occur whether ghost contributon is the same as plagiarism? Do you have any opinion?

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
As long as academia insist on individual assessment, others assistance can’t be deemed collaboration. When the academia cannot make sure that an academic work is an indeed individual effort result produced by student himself/herself; not from anyone else, we must question who is actually graded by the assessor: the individual student or may be someone else. In the case of the statistician ghost contributor that happens in Indonesia, who is supposed to be get partially graded is the statistician contributor, who contributes to student research paper, because they in fact help produce the statistic result. However, they aren't given any grade since they are not university student. The academic grade should not be fully given to the student researcher who get unacknowledged paid statistician assistance for their research.
A policy can be introduced to deal with this issue at the moment by university : not to give any grade to social science research paper in Indonesia although it may be still required for conferring a degree.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Architecture sketch, CAD design, plans, 3D models, that I have checked out very closely more engineering than artistic.
Zellner critique on architecture schools have made me hesitant to go to any architecture school, since I agree with him at least partly, although FSA concept championed by him needs strengthening some aspect like feasibility, student assessment, duration of the study (6 weeks is too short), research, etc.

--
I am interested in architecture but I ask the question whether Architecture is for me, typo logically? Am I the correct type to study Architecture? I am attempting to answer the question.
Watching architecture student and professionals 's opinion on their work might give me some idea how they experience architecture both as an education and profession. I will be listening to both bad testimonials and good testimonials as a professional and student,as teacher in Architecture school, if available, both pros and cons. I am going to give some opinion on design assessment or grading in design also.
Some youtube channels recommended to watch:

Stewart Hicks - YouTube
youtube said:
Stewart Hicks is an architectural design educator that leads design studios and lecture courses as an Associate Professor in the School of Architecture at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He also serves as an Associate Dean in the College of Architecture, Design, and the Arts and is the co-founder of the practice Design With Company.
Dami Lee, A licensed Architect from Vancouver

Surviving Architecture, An Architecture Student From UK

Drew Paul Bell, work for an Architecture firm

Eric Reinholdt, An Archipreneur, An architect studio founder

Professionals who quit architecture

Domics, Content Creator
Making it in Holland
Joann Lui, Switching from Architecture to Tech Career - I Quit My Dream Job

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Professionals who quit architecture Continued
Daniel Titchener

Belinda Carr

Benny Mannequin
I QUIT MY ARCHITECTURE JOB!! A Day in the Life of an Architect

e r g o j o s h
Quitting 6 Years of Architecture for Art

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Architecture Student
Kathryn Larsen,Danish in US
Unravelling Architecture, US

Callum Henderson,UK

Ahuva Spiegel, Jerussalem

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Before proposing a design solution, Ideally, architect should be able to research surrounding information about people, history, climate, in the area, since the building should be some kind of construction solution of living in the specific area for the people. The next thing should be based on the information, begin thinking up what kind of construction suitable with it.

For example, Residents of houses located in 4 seasons countries are known to usually warm themselves by sitting next to the fireplace inside the house during winter. How is the construction solution so that the smokes from the fireplace won't fill the house?. It is known that the chimney is useful for exhausting the fireplace smoke in the house to the outside. So that smokes from fireplace wont fill the house, It is highly recommended for their house to have chimney constructed above their fireplace. But, In tropical countries, where we don't experience snowy winter, like in Indonesia, I have never seen a house with chimney. That happens because we don't do what the people in 4 season countries do during winter: warming their body next to fireplace. I take some lesson from the difference that Chimney is constructed specific to a four season climate house, where they have winter where people usually sit next to a fireplace. Architect that has some housing project in tropical climate countries don't have to design any chimney while they may do so it if their client resides in the countries that experience snowy winter.

What kind of psychic functions naturally will perform well with this task? I identify two functions : extroverted sensation-introverted feeling that absorbs and documents those information (like 2 seasons vs 4 seasons climate, and the people behavior) naturally and retain it and based on it Te-Ni can do the solving part that begins with a decision: to design or not to design a chimney, with the subsequent steps. Architect will be best, when the role is played out by ENTJ or an ESFP, since both of them has those functions paired. However, I identify one ISFP that has become famous architect: Frank Gehry.