• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ongoing Tragedy in Brazi

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
If you ever wondered what it would be like to have Tim Boyd as president of a country, look no further than Brazil and Jair "You're Too Ugly To Rape" Bolsonaro:

Bolsonaro under fire as Brazil hits 300,000 virus deaths

Mere miles from Brazil’s presidential palace, the bodies of COVID-19 victims were laid on floors of hospitals whose morgues were overflowing. Lawmakers fielded calls from panicked constituents across the country, where thousands awaited intensive care beds, and they had no effective health minister to turn to Sunday.

Meanwhile, a smiling President Jair Bolsonaro met hundreds of supporters to pass out pieces of green-and-yellow cake in celebration of his 66th birthday. The mood was jubilant even as the country approached a bleak coronavirus milestone.

Brazil has a chance to change its leadership, I believe, very soon, and I hope they do, because things aren't looking up:

As daily deaths near 4,000, worst may lie ahead for Brazil

The United States (562,013), Brazil (310,694) and Mexico (201,429) are the countries with the greatest number of dead. Donald Trump, Jair Bolsonaro, and Andres Lopez Obrador have all similar ways of governing, all three have had COVID-19 themselves, and all have had a hands-off way of not dealing with the pandemic. The United States has changed leadership, but Mexico cannot change its leadership until 2024: so there may be many more avoidable, unnecessary deaths here.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Well, there are theories that in the end the Brazil could be the worst hit country once all of this is over. Especially since US is vaccinating much more and Brazil is currently going more towards the colder part of the year. Plus Brazil has testing that is about 9 times weaker than US if we judge per capita. While registered cases per capita from the start are only about 3:2 for US. Therefore in reality situation in Brazil is almost surely worse than in US, even in at this point. After all now 1/3 of registered Covid death globaly is in Brazil, which makes only about 3% of the global population.

Overall Bolsonaro is evidently one of the people that should be kicked out of office if we judge globally, but elections are still year and a half away from what I understand. In a way all of this is textbook example why you shouldn't elect anti-science people for high offices. Since they will completely fail science related problems (which are quite numerous as well as likely in 21th century).
In a way it is quite a shame, if Brazil had the first world standard of living it would be one of the best countries for a living globally.

Mole

Permabanned
Yes, it is true, we do first class scientific research, and we respect the authority of science, and are much less likely to believe Confidence men like Trump and Balsonaro. Also we have compulsory secret voting, known as the Australian Ballot. And we listened to our medical authorities, and are virtually free of the virus.

However we know many countries have a high illiteracy rate, and a high rate of religion, so they are suffering a high rate of infection and death.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bolsonaro's election was a result of discontent with the previous ruling PT party (amplified, of course, by the political scandals and Michel Temer's unpopular policies). Unless that discontent has waned *significantly*, I think Bolsonaro's re-election chances aren't exactly abysmal, even though he's facing a stiff challenge in the polls and experiences setbacks in Brazil's mayoral races. I mean, hell, Biden won his election against Trump by much less than expected in terms of % difference, despite widespread disapproval of the latter's handling of the pandemic in the US. I'm not trying to make a direct comparison between the Brazil and US, but I wouldn't hold your breath or be shocked if Jair pulls it off again.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Here are the countries that towards worldometer have the highest death rates per capita.

Therefore there is evidently some correlation of covid deaths with populism, dysfunction and far right. Although the most effected countries didn't even have their data sorted out. Therefore in reality this list probably looks somewhat differently. But the key elements for the disaster are the same. Since all of those elements are going against scientific literacy and conclusions. Since those don't provide simple answers that many people want.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well, as some of you know, I sadly exist just there on this place... Another guy did switched his location on Personality-database to "inferno <brazillian flag>" perhaps I shall do the same (inferno means hell).

It is super painful to be here, so the more I say, the more painful it is. I still have family who still supports the psychopath.

Bolsonaro's election was a result of discontent with the previous ruling PT party (amplified, of course, by the political scandals and Michel Temer's unpopular policies). Unless that discontent has waned *significantly*, I think Bolsonaro's re-election chances aren't exactly abysmal, even though he's facing a stiff challenge in the polls and experiences setbacks in Brazil's mayoral races. I mean, hell, Biden won his election against Trump by much less than expected in terms of % difference, despite widespread disapproval of the latter's handling of the pandemic in the US. I'm not trying to make a direct comparison between the Brazil and US, but I wouldn't hold your breath or be shocked if Jair pulls it off again.

They raised it to the next level: From burglars and robbers, we now have psychopaths, adored psychopaths.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I voted a left wing party and I don't want to justify those populist parties, but I have to specify something regarding Italy.

We didn't have a right wing party governing during the pandemic 'cause we had multiple governing crisis just before it began. We had technicians instead.

Sadly, the left was actually against lockdowns and everything.
Populist parties (right wing+something that's supposed to be centrist populism) however rode the wave of general hatred and opposed the use of masks (they generally echoed anything Trump said), so it's a bit more complicated than that.

There's also been irregularities in communicating the deaths, the protocols vary a lot in different countries. Germany has stricter ones, for example.

I agree with the main point you were making, but deaths per capita isn't as robust as a data as it may appear at first.

I know. However this isn't just about who governs, if parties that don't care too much about science stuff have a large base that will still have a major impact on the problems such as nasty pandemic. Since such parties will define how their base will act and if large parts of the population go rogue on the health authorities and regulations you will have a problem no matter what. Plus regional governing also matters quite a bit in this equation. However Italy is generally chaotic enough that it will have a problem with problems like COVID. What was kinda may bottom point: in this situation chaos kills.