• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Here's a good example.

190226155446-02-bladensburg-peace-cross.jpg

This is the Bladensburg World War I Memorial in MD. On public land using public funds for upkeep. I have no issue with this at all, as a non-religious person it doesn't offend me and personally, there has never been much acknowledgement of WWI losses in the US, compared to other wars.

I am watching this picture for the last few days and I just have to comment: This is pure US in a nutshell. There is monument at the front that look powerful, while in the back there is this chaos of a power grid that looks as it will fall in the next storm.

:shrug:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I am watching this picture for the last few days and I just have to comment: This is pure US in a nutshell. There is monument at the front that look powerful, while in the back there is this chaos of a power grid that looks as it will fall in the next storm.

They get mad if you mention that. They tell you to shut up and look at the statue...:dry: It's maddening.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do I feel about them? In a very general sense I am completely apathetic towards them. However, if the individual being commemorated committed horrible atrocities, I believe they need to be taken down.

The Cat

Staff member
Trees are like monuments that make oxygen and produce cooling shade.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

The US embodies jingoism like no other country (Great Britain came close) on earth. That's how Americans will actually argue that they don't live in a failed state.

Lark

I regret most of the threads I create on this forum.

Its been like this for years.

Yup.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I regret most of the threads I create on this forum.

Its been like this for years.

Yup.

All I'm gonna say is you wrote this;

It got me wondering what peoples views are about such things

Why do you get all pissy when people are doing exactly what you asked then to do?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, what was the intention behind the monument when it went up? Was it to honor something or someone we have since realized was shit, if not always knew was shit? Then taking it down can be a modest expression of something much more important surviving the past and being remembered.

More important still of course is behaving differently in everyday life and politics, and letting culture evolve for the better. Even removing a monument is still a symbolic gesture, even if it can be an improvement.

The Cat

Staff member
Robert E Lee didnt even want monuments of him put up...so if honoring his memory was really the point...there wouldnt be monuments of him...Trees on the other hand. They make oxygen; help cool the climate and help the water cycle...plus they never owned people. We should plant more trees to honor that...before we become dune sans spice...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We have to keep statues and shit, otherwise people who don't read books won't be aware of history. Who's that whatshisface dictator man with the weird mustache who did something or other? We need statues of him, lest we forget

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We have to keep statues and shit, otherwise people who don't read books won't be aware of history. Who's that whatshisface dictator man with the weird mustache who did something or other? We need statues of him, lest we forget

Oh right, the guy who didn't respect flags and tried to ban the bible. Yeah, I can't remember his name either.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm very monument agnostic. I don't really get them. If people want to tear them down they should go to museums.