• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Global Turmoil

ceecee

Dunkin Enthusiast
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't know how accurate but I found this and thought I'd share.

FAIxUNKUYAAfh5e

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know how accurate but I found this and thought I'd share.

FAIxUNKUYAAfh5e
LOL. Whoever made this must be to the left of the most leftwing of the six parties in parliament to call the Linke (who want to disown real estate companies, raise taxes for the rich, raise the minimum wage, introduce free public transportation, drastically raise welfare, outlaw corporate donations to political parties, dissolve the secret service, forbid the exportation of weapons and leave NATO) "neoliberal"😁

Also, I question calling the AfD "spicy boomers", though boomers they are, no doubt.

A few more things are slightly off but overall, yeah, I guess, sort of accurate.

ceecee

Dunkin Enthusiast
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
LOL. Whoever made this must be to the left of the most leftwing of the six parties in parliament to call the Linke (who want to disown real estate companies, raise taxes for the rich, raise the minimum wage, introduce free public transportation, drastically raise welfare, outlaw corporate donations to political parties, dissolve the secret service, forbid the exportation of weapons and leave NATO) "neoliberal"😁

Also, I question calling the AfD "spicy boomers", though boomers they are, no doubt.

A few more things are slightly off but overall, yeah, I guess, sort of accurate.
I laughed at the New Right Country bumpkin because we totally have the same thing. Newly minted "independents", conspiracy loving "homesteaders". They move to Alaska, have 3 days to grow a years worth of crops and end up dying from untreated heart disease or their local small pox epidemic.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I laughed at the New Right Country bumpkin because we totally have the same thing. Newly minted "independents", conspiracy loving "homesteaders". They move to Alaska, have 3 days to grow a years worth of crops and end up dying from untreated heart disease or their local small pox epidemic.
I recently read an article about how so many recent bestselling novels by German authors are about village life (usually someone leaving Berlin because it is full with nasty progressive hipsters, moves to a small East German village (far right heartland and the poorest part of the country) and finds that rural people are better people and rural life is somehow more real and less fake while urban folks are all idiotic assholes). There definitely is an idealization going on. Only our nature, unlike Alaska, is mostly harmless.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
We only have election silence here in the UK during the hours the voting actually takes place.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Achtung! The über-Bundestag is coming

What the German election could mean for EU health policy

The day is here and the polls are closing in about 7 hours.
However this is of very large importance even globally, possibly to the magnitude of Brexit referendum (perhaps even more on the long run). For years populism has raged across EU with desire to change German government, over what most of the union has very little say. So now we have a day when Germans themselves could do it legally. Therefore this is probably the vote that will generally define what will be with EU and what exactly the EU will be. This is simply a crossroad however you turn it.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In other news, Switzerland just passed equal marriage rights in a national referendum.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Guardian of Ga'Hoole
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I recently read an article about how so many recent bestselling novels by German authors are about village life (usually someone leaving Berlin because it is full with nasty progressive hipsters, moves to a small East German village (far right heartland and the poorest part of the country) and finds that rural people are better people and rural life is somehow more real and less fake while urban folks are all idiotic assholes). There definitely is an idealization going on. Only our nature, unlike Alaska, is mostly harmless.
Spending some time in Montana, I can confirm that this is dogshit in the United States. I can see that only being true if you can conform to a very narrow range of being the right sort of person. I'm not just talking about being white, either. I mean that it just seems to be mandatory that you be a very specific type of person. Like, you can't be into reading, unless maybe it's the Bible, and regard following rules for safety or not littering as being "for pussies", and they generally seem to believe that social Darwinism should be an organizing principle for everything (unless of course they happen to lose out). Asking questions and wanting to know how something works is generally seen as suspect, a little gay or something like that. Generalizing, but for people who claim to value freedom and individuality, there is a strong social push towards conformity; the acceptable sense of humor is to be the sort of person that finds Entourage or Tucker Max the height of the comedic arts, for instance. So yeah, none of the anti-vax anti-mask Covid denial stuff is a surprise... I was actually surprised that it took a while to kick in for some people.

You want to know the place in the U.S. where I've felt the biggest sense of community and people have been the nicest? I'll give you a hint, it's somewhere that conservatives consider worse than Afghanistan.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Guardian of Ga'Hoole
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

That aspect of it has the rarified ideological purity of a very specific sort of Leftist that is only ever online. They're the only ones who know the correct path, and everyone else on needs to be made aware of this fact. They revel in their adherence to the theoretic dogma while managing to do fuck all. You can find a decent amount of people like that on left Reddit. Nobody I've actually met in person or via Zoom call has been that annoying. It's a bit rich to say that the only option is some vague revolution NOW when that appears to consist of nothing more than being a keyboard warrior. Like people would follow their obnoxious ass anyway, but hey, at least they get to feel edgy which is of course the most important.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My husband and I voted. We took the kids with us on a nice sunday stroll to the poll station (a German tradition). Poll stations tend to be in neighborhood elementary schools and ours was no exception as it was in our daughter's school. It was relatively busy, which is a good sign. The weather was great which hopefully also motivated people to go and vote rather than stay at home.

First results will be out in a few minutes. Well, we did our part. Fingers crossed!
I never before had such a strong sense before of a vote being about my kids' future! The next legislative period is the last one that can make a real difference about climate change and if the CDU wins today we are all fucked. Not just Germany. On the other hand this could be a real turning point for the better in so many regards with an impact for Europe as a whole, maybe even beyond. I understand @Virtual ghost's interest.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes! A little too close for my liking but looking good! I am cautiously optimistic.

It looks like a fully leftwing coalition of SPD, Greens and Linke would not have enough seats. So a "traffic light" coalition of SPD, Greens and FDP seems the most likely. I just hope Christian Lindner doesn't pull the same act he did the last time!

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My husband and I voted. We took the kids with us on a nice sunday stroll to the poll station (a German tradition). Poll stations tend to be in neighborhood elementary schools and ours was no exception as it was in our daughter's school. It was relatively busy, which is a good sign. The weather was great which hopefully also motivated people to go and vote rather than stay at home.

First results will be out in a few minutes. Well, we did our part. Fingers crossed!
I never before had such a strong sense before of a vote being about my kids' future! The next legislative period is the last one that can make a real difference about climate change and if the CDU wins today we are all fucked. Not just Germany. On the other hand this could be a real turning point for the better in so many regards with an impact for Europe as a whole, maybe even beyond. I understand @Virtual ghost's interest.

I watched the news and it is indeed tight. But SPD is rising faster and now they have 1.0% lead instead 0.3%. What could save the day in the end for the party are mail-in ballots cased a few days ago when the polling difference was a little bit larger. Plus Greens will evidently be stronger than FDP, what is another talking point that counts in coalition making

But as I said I am evidently in this mix despite not being able to vote. Climate, EU laws, my next elections will involve equivalent parties to what is going on now in Germany (so it direcly matters what is going there due to deep political and economic ties), what EU will be and do globally will evidently and directly effect me, some laws and ideas will be copy-pasted regardless who is in what office, So I am evidently in the mix even if officially I can only observe and perhaps comment.

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yes! A little too close for my liking but looking good! I am cautiously optimistic.

It looks like a fully leftwing coalition of SPD, Greens and Linke would not have enough seats. So a "traffic light" coalition of SPD, Greens and FDP seems the most likely. I just hope Christian Lindner doesn't pull the same act he did the last time!

Actually it seems that the new grand coalition is mathematically possible and at this rate this one should be led by SPD .....

Btw are there any signs when we could know results by 99% margin ? (coalition forming will take time but results will tell a good part of the story of what will happen there).