• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Education Vs. Brainwashing

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
History was written by the winners.
Certain sciences have proved an hierarchy of races and genders but what is taught changes through progress.

If you're taught something 'backwards', and 'know no better' then, are you brainwashed?

and then, who's to say today's current norms and values aren't backwards?

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Certain sciences have proved an hierarchy of races and genders but what is taught changes through progress.

If you're taught something 'backwards', and 'know no better' then, are you brainwashed?

well sure, but i am not sure what that really changes...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

History is written by people paid to ghostwrite because most "winners" can't actually pen anything coherent. The exceptions to that are very few.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some would say school is a form of brainwashing

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The ability to critically think. An educated person can debate and make arguments from both sides. If you are unable to articulate one side, then you do not have enough information/understanding and are probably biased, uncomfortable, ignoring, etc. Usually the result of peer pressure and stigma.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
The ability to critically think. An educated person can debate and make arguments from both sides. If you are unable to articulate one side, then you do not have enough information/understanding and are probably biased, uncomfortable, ignoring, etc. Usually the result of peer pressure and stigma.

also agree lol

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To go back to the OP, brainwashing is a specific form of ignorance: willful ignorance, imposed from the outside, but often collective in nature. You might say brainwashing is teaching designed to close off inquiry, whereas "real" education is designed to stimulate and satisfy it.

Yes, history is written by the winners, or at least by those with power and status. There has always been whitewashing, or as in the example below about Chopin, "straightwashing". Names are changed, primary source material is filtered to allow only what coincides with existing norms. With the passage of time, the original and more complete information sometimes comes to light. We see that certain authors really were women, or certain accomplishments were made by blacks, etc.

According to a Swiss radio documentary that has been discussed at length in Poland in recent days, the composer had relationships with men, and those relationships were left out of history by successive historians and biographers; a potentially thorny charge in one of Europe's worst countries for LGBTQ rights.

Music journalist Moritz Weber, whose program aired on Swiss network SRF, said he reviewed letters from Chopin, sent to male friends, that feature explicit and romantic passages. Weber also found that subsequent biographies and re-tellings of some letters swap male pronouns to female ones and downplay, whether intentionally or not, any evidence of Chopin's relationships with men. "He's talking about love so directly with men," Weber told CNN. "Why wasn't that questioned by all these scholars and famous biographers?"

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting that public education happened long before public healthcare in the U.S. It is because of the indoctrination benefits. Not that I don't support public education, but there is something to what I say.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The entire history of the US is simply mythology at this point. I don't mean from the US from a historical perspective. I mean hyper-individuality created 300 million islands of duh and anyone disputing the validity of that or the right to engage is tyrannical, as is anything any American doesn't like - also a tyrannical attack on free speech and god given individuality, which is the only way to function.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting that public education happened long before public healthcare in the U.S. It is because of the indoctrination benefits. Not that I don't support public education, but there is something to what I say.
A principal purpose of education is literacy, which enables the storage and use of knowledge in written form, vs. leaving it to the oral traditional. (No, I'm not trying to channel Mole here.) Limiting literacy to the elites, usually clergy and nobles, was never in the public interest. American never had nobles, but has always had clergy. Medical information is just one category of information that the ordinary person can have access to, if they know how to read. As such it makes sense that as a system, education would come first.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A principal purpose of education is literacy, which enables the storage and use of knowledge in written form, vs. leaving it to the oral traditional. (No, I'm not trying to channel Mole here.) Limiting literacy to the elites, usually clergy and nobles, was never in the public interest. American never had nobles, but has always had clergy. Medical information is just one category of information that the ordinary person can have access to, if they know how to read. As such it makes sense that as a system, education would come first.

I think America has "nobles" now, despite all the efforts to turn away from Monarchism. I am not talking in the title and literal sense, but the functionality sense. What we consider political parties and their front runners, essentially do what nobles used to do in Monarchies. Including using marriage as a way into power, controlling the resources of the nation, as well as handing it over to the control of a very select few (mega corporations, crony capitalism, nepotism). These "nobles" can influence the state, and have the power to barter with them due to control of the resources. Just like nobles did the kings/queens of the past. These "nobles", also probably influence and change what the general public can truly learn. And keeping the real secret to success hidden. So even if you invest into education, that education is still limited and filtered to control the population so they cannot rise against the "nobles" power, which can even control the state if they wanted to. It is all a charade if you ask me. There is no real democracy in USA, because democracy too easily influenced and controlled by those in power pretending to be the good guys.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The founding fathers true intentions were debateable in how they wanted USA to become, but the one thing for certain was Liberty (rights), limiting the government's power over the people and states, as well as the "pursuit of happiness". Which can be interpreted as being able to make the change the people want/need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The founding fathers true intentions were debateable in how they wanted USA to become, but the one thing for certain was Liberty (rights), limiting the government's power over the people and states, as well as the "pursuit of happiness". Which can be interpreted as being able to make the change the people want/need.

Question: You've expressed concern over corporations having too much power before. Within a framework of limited government, how do you expect these corporations to be reigned in? Is there a way to do so without giving the government more power and authority?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Question: You've expressed concern over corporations having too much power before. Within a framework of limited government, how do you expect these corporations to be reigned in? Is there a way to do so without giving the government more power and authority?

Actually make laws that reign them in, and enforce it. If you give the government too much power, they simply do what the corperations do as well. Limit their power, but give them lots of tools, and they can do more with less.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually make laws that reign them in, and enforce it. If you give the government too much power, they simply do what the corperations do as well. Limit their power, but give them lots of tools, and they can do more with less.

Right, but making laws mean the government is exercising power. Many people who believe in the virtues of limited government believe that also applies to things like regulating corporations by making new laws, and building codes and so forth.

Anyway it seems to me that you agree with me that to rein in the excesses of capitalism, laws and regulations are necessary.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right, but making laws mean the government is exercising power. Many people who believe in the virtues of limited government believe that also applies to things like regulating corporations by making new laws, and building codes and so forth.

Anyway it seems to me that you agree with me that to rein in the excesses of capitalism, laws and regulations are necessary.

Yes, regulations of certain kinds is necessary. The regulations that are usually employed though, never fix the problem and avoids the core of the issue. Like tax exemption/subsidies. This is because the government has too much power, and is in bed with the corporations and working together to make profit off the people. So I am not saying suddenly regulation is good for USA as it stands now. But if they should have regulated certain things sooner. Corperations wouldn't have so much power right now. They are practically mini-states/nobles in their own way right now. They need to fix the tax exemption shit, and not use charities to be able to write off their taxes. Charities themselves have become money laundering for the rich to avoid paying taxes. This is what we need to fix. Not "tax the rich" more, because they don't pay taxes now. They just avoid them.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, regulations of certain kinds is necessary. The regulations that are usually employed though, never fix the problem and avoids the core of the issue. Like tax exemption/subsidies. This is because the government has too much power, and is in bed with the corporations and working together to make profit off the people. So I am not saying suddenly regulation is good for USA as it stands now. But if they should have regulated certain things sooner. Corperations wouldn't have so much power right now. They are practically mini-states/nobles in their own way right now. They need to fix the tax exemption shit, and not use charities to be able to write off their taxes. Charities themselves have become money laundering for the rich to avoid paying taxes. This is what we need to fix. Not "tax the rich" more, because they don't pay taxes now. They just avoid them.

Oh, I agree. Even at 90k a year, those tax exemptions and deductions don't benefit me. I'm wondering how much I would have to make for them to benefit me. I'm more and more on the side of the fact that they shouldn't exist at all. I'd place removing tax exemption as part of "taxing the rich" actually.

I definitely think money made in investments should count as taxable income if unemployment payments do (especially since you already pay for unemployment out of your taxes). The more I've learned about the system we've set up, the more I learn it is rigged.