• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold war 2.0

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think @JAVO and I were more referring to stuff like the repeated reports of Russian troops crossing bridges or entering village lined up like ducks which made them easier to take down. You also keep hearing that the Russian army is very hierarchical, everything has to happen upon orders from above, there is little freedom of decision on the ground (I remember my brother explaining the difference between a "Befehlsarmee" (army of orders) and an "Auftragsarmee" (army of missions), two different military leadership styles, back when he did his service year*).

* I just saw on Wikipedia that the German term "Auftragstaktik" (mission command) has made it into several languages as a technical term.
This has long been the case. There used also to be the dual leadership structure, in which every unit had to answer to a political officer who could overrule the military unit leader. That was intended to ensure everyone's loyalty to the communist party and adherance to its principles. Military officers always hated it, at various times even spoke out in favor of a single command structure, and the influence of the political officers waxed and waned. I don't know if that sort of dual structure has continued.

Fun fact: The book and movie Hunt for Red October start with the submarine captain killing the political officer onboard, to clear the way for his defecting to the US with his boat and officers. The political officer's name was Putin.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This has long been the case. There used also to be the dual leadership structure, in which every unit had to answer to a political officer who could overrule the military unit leader. That was intended to ensure everyone's loyalty to the communist party and adherance to its principles. Military officers always hated it, at various times even spoke out in favor of a single command structure, and the influence of the political officers waxed and waned. I don't know if that sort of dual structure has continued.

Fun fact: The book and movie Hunt for Red October start with the submarine captain killing the political officer onboard, to clear the way for his defecting to the US with his boat and officers. The political officer's name was Putin.
Not just the Soviet Union. East Germany also had them (like many in the Eastern block, I'd guess) and towards the end of the war so did the Wehrmacht.

By the way, when it comes to submarine movies, they also had one onboard in Das Boot.

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not just the Soviet Union. East Germany also had them (like many in the Eastern block, I'd guess) and towards the end of the war so did the Wehrmacht.

By the way, when it comes to submarine movies, they also had one onboard in Das Boot.
That's one of the best sub movies, best WWII movies ever. I watched it ages ago, and should watch it again.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Can you comment on what is going on in Croatia regarding the possible NATO membership of Finland and Sweden?

Yes, for a while left wing S&D president of Croatia wants to block their NATO membership until alliance doesn't insure that Bosnian Croats have the right to choose their own representatives. That goal is indeed something that should be done but the time and the method are probably misplaced. Even if Finland and Sweden also did their share of blocking and moralizing on the issue that cause plenty of harm in Bosnia over the decades. Therefore Bosnia is quite dysfunctional country due to the fact that international community objectively failed in fixing problems. Since until now the country was the place of most brutal war in Europe until ww2 and the consequences weren't undone. Although there are also chances that the Croatian president simply wants to rise hell, after all yesterday he said that the people should overthrow the Supreme court since it blocked potential referendum from the public vote. The referendum that should ban health authorities from applying covid measures in the future. After all he is saying anti-vax stuff for long time and he likes to be extra rude (in the case you are trying to understand some statements) Some are so rude that they probably aren't translated too directly.

While on the other hand the center right intends to block him in any decision making and from what I understand that is possible. What is because the center right is basically the most pro western party in the country and they are more diplomatic in their approach. Plus prime minister is the one that is the top figure in the country, and that is in the hands of the center right. However in the end this is drama that is there on daily basis at this moment and here it spilled into the foreign policy. But if I got it right there shouldn't be practical implications in the big picture.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Bush admits the truth in a Freudian slip, and then he jokingly admits the truth again. (He was President of the USA during the USA's invasion of Iraq in 2003.)

(How convenient of him, as I had just commented on this in my blog yesterday. :laugh:)

"The result is an absence of checks and balances in Russia. And the decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq, I mean of Ukraine," Bush said.

"Iraq, too," he added under his breath, chuckling.
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-05-19-22/index.html

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I didn't think Putin would go to that extreme. I agree that it probably explains the many rookie mistakes. They're so extreme that I was starting to get suspicious that Russia was making them on purpose as part of a larger strategy.
Sort of like punching himself in the face?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
It was funny stuff, sanity. When it was taken away, you didn’t know it. You didn’t feel its departure. You only really knew it when it was restored, like some rare wild bird which lived and sang within you not by decree but by choice...

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
France — 2022 general election

If something doesn't change Macron (yellow) will win absolute majority. Plus he probably has center right (blue) as an easy back up if he needs more seats.
So in that regard things will stay as they were. The only thing is that perhaps he will adjust his policy to fit the current era.