• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Buying a computer

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do people know about the new macs?

I think this is the description of the smallest cheapest one but it’s still $2K. I saw discussions about issues with it crashing because there isn’t enough storage space? I don’t know if I can actually get one but thought I’d watch the price on Black Friday and try learn more.

2021 Apple MacBook Pro (14-inch, Apple M1 Pro chip with 8‑core CPU and 14‑core GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)

Pikaqiu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, if you like customizing your laptop specs, I would suggest buying a general Windows PC instead, as a lot of the time, you are able to change the HDD or SDD and put in the Graphics card and so on.

But if you are a person who doesn't really care about the specs and customizing the laptop specs, MAc is for you because everything in it is built-in and it is the perfect machine for the given specs. Every spec is designed to fit the specs and everything is optimized to give the best performances.

But if it starts to get old, unlike the Windows PC, MAc cannot just throw in another SSD or RAM to increase the processing power.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, if you like customizing your laptop specs, I would suggest buying a general Windows PC instead, as a lot of the time, you are able to change the HDD or SDD and put in the Graphics card and so on.

But if you are a person who doesn't really care about the specs and customizing the laptop specs, MAc is for you because everything in it is built-in and it is the perfect machine for the given specs. Every spec is designed to fit the specs and everything is optimized to give the best performances.

But if it starts to get old, unlike the Windows PC, MAc cannot just throw in another SSD or RAM to increase the processing power.
Apple in general leaves little opportunity for user customization. It is a huge reason I never buy Apple products. In the interests of being easy to use/"user friendly", they decide what the customer wants, and turn their products into black boxes that allow the user no insight into or control over what is "under the hood".

Note that what you are calling a "Windows PC" is just a PC. It can easily run operating systems other than Windows, providing an even more customizable and secure experience for the user.