• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram Instinctiual variants questionnaire

kittenke

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1/3
I've not found my instinct stacking yet, so going to answer this cool questionnaire too to see if that clears up anything for me. If anyone wants to chime in, that'd be great too of course!

Self-Preservation (Need to protect and preserve)

1. Do you tend to save money and are cautious about spending it?

I naturally don't spend too much by default unless there is something that's worth it, it's a considered decision always. I'm not explicitly cautious, I just like to save the money until there is something worth spending it on. Expensive items, investments, etc.

2. Are you security oriented? Ready to protect yourself, those close to you and your resources?

I barely think about security consciously by default. But I'm instinctively ready to protect myself in a physical fashion, and my interests and resources in other ways too.

3. Are you fairly consistent? Like things known and regular? No big changes?

Fairly consistent is a good word for me lol. I'm not consciously emotionally attached to known/regular things, it just happens. See a pattern now... all the questions so far say, I operate naturally instinctively like this but not consciously (not a conscious value if that makes sense). I will adapt to big changes because obviously I just have to. No point in stressing over the hard cold facts.

4. Do you dislike taking big risks unless it's a "sure" thing?

I dislike taking big risks, yes. Why would I want to get in my own way in getting where I want to get or put myself backwards.

5. Are you fairly private? Not revealing too much to strangers?

I'm quite private, yes. I can be open to a degree easily but beyond that... very private.

6. Do you tend to be introverted?

Socially yeah

7. Do you understand money? Securities? Investments?

I have an ongoing investment plan and economics as a discipline is a fascinating topic but I have not got into it deeply. Maybe when I don't have anything else to do... As for the practical/pragmatic side for how money/securities/specific financial topics work, I will try to understand as much as I need to for the job/goal at hand, not beyond (no time for that, again and I'd be more interested in the economics science like I said).

8. Do you tend to plan for the future? Ready for emergencies?

No planning in detail, just the basics for important goals requiring it. I don't consciously prepare for most emergencies. But if an emergency comes up I have confidence for dealing with it.

9. Are you concerned about health? Safety? Comfort? Home? Hearth?

Health: usually not. I always liked reading about medical stuff, just for fun (?) to understand how the human body works, even as a kid, but not because of health concerns. Actually the stuff I will read about - even as a kid - could be upsetting to the squeamish/hypochondriacs lol. I have a "clinical attitude" to it easily though.
Safety: I do the basics, not concerned beyond that by default. I've been seen reckless taking some (moderate) physical risks just to complete tasks/achieve goals. I barely ever meet anyone else who will understand me on why the heck I would do that, why I'd be that committed and "reckless". lol
Comfort: Not a conscious worry again, again I operate naturally instinctively like this but not consciously.
Home: A nice headquarters to have in the background and just in general too but again not a conscious focus.
Hearth: wat?

10. Are you worried about what may go wrong? Tend to imagine worse case scenarios?

No. I don't have time for imagining anything, let alone be a worrywart. I do make my plans around points where I need to pay attention to things going smoothly, but I don't spend time on worrying, just on being concretely action focused.

11. Do you like things spelled out? Details? Exact information? Guarantees?

When it's instructions for something new and complex then yes I want spelled out exact details.

Guarantees like? I need context here.

12. In relationships do you take care of others financially?

If they want/need me to (as long as they don't just sit on their asses all day being a lazy parasite), also I'm happy to provide materially overall. Happy to provide a place to live at, and other stuff.

Social (Need for Social Validation - Can show up with strong focus on groups, organizations, family, world, friends, your surroundings, your social image)

1. Do you need or really like social validation?

No, never needed it and it'd be uncomfortable dependency. I don't even particularly like it as some bit of a bonus i.e. I won't take it too seriously but it's okay for being just that "bit of bonus" I guess.

2. Is social image important to you?

For social status materially yes. For anything else... eh. I guess reputation and respect is desirable.

3. Do you have desires/fantasies of being rewarded in a social or public arena?

As a bonus... hmm, standing on the podium after races actually can feel quite good lol or receiving other rewards too. I mean I don't fantasise about it or have a conscious desire but I've enjoyed this sort of thing in actual reality yes.

4. Do you think about your affect on others, groups, organizations, and the world?

Only in a very removed general way. But that is important to me.

5. Is it very important to you to look good in public, groups, work, and the world? Is name recognition important, either yours or others?

For the first part of the question here, see question 2.
For the second part: bonus category...

6. Are you upset if you don't get enough validation, reward for the hard and creative work you do in a social context or for a social cause?

Hmmm uh I don't focus on this. I get more like embarrassed almost when I get the recognition in informal ways for such work of mine. I've done work a lot though that benefited others a lot. Call that a social cause? Sometimes it was a definite cause, too, but defined by myself.

7. Are you involved in groups, organizations and team oriented activities?

Sometimes. Frankly though I'd die if I was to have this as my primarily goal for its own sake / l'art pour l'art.

8. Is belonging to special groups or being a leader of a group important to you?

I like to have influence yes. Special groups, uh what do you mean? Oh wait... when for example I go train with a group of very good athletes I do like that. So yeah, special groups when there is some good tangible way as to why they are special, are good. I perceive status in this way too and it's important to me.

9. Are you strongly upset if you feel not included or rejected by a group or family or not invited to a social event?

No, that'd be too much dependency to get strongly upset or care that much. If my achievements, goals or tasks I'm to perform support my belonging to a group then that's enough for me. Anything else would go too *personal* for me. But I think I'm just good at removing the emotional affect in such situations.

10. Do you make your money through your association with groups affecting a large number of people?

Happened before.

11. Do you get really upset if you make a social faux pas? Do you think about and plan out how you will be or present yourself in public?

First part of the question: sometimes yes. Very upset in some moments.
Second part: No.

12. Are you the social instigator and connector in your family?

No.

Relationship (Need for 1 to 1 or Relationship Closeness)

1. Do you define yourself through a romantic or close partnership? Is closeness with another person of paramount importance?

First part of the question: no. But my basic definition of myself is simple... EDIT: If it counts, my goal for a really good close relationship is highly important, and maybe actually it's part of a slightly extended definition of myself, where I see myself as always "seeking" something with this being really fundamental too.
Second part: In theory yes very much. In practice it's still somehow distant and not a reality. Even after having been at this for 7 years.

2. Do you like intense energy, particularly in relating to people? Are you energized when you have a revealing conversation or engagement with another, particularly a special other?

First part of the question: yes and yes in relating to people too but idk if "particularly" with people. Though in ways it can get more intense fun emotionally/viscerally than with impersonal things/activities yeah.
Second part: yeah but if it's a too deeply mental topic i.e. mentally intense in a deep way then that can be draining too at the same time.

3. Do you tend to focus more attention on close relationships than money?

Uh, yeah, but in a particular way. I was never obsessed about money in the way I would be about trying to build a relationship. Money is very important for status, attractiveness, but it on its own just would not be the same obsession. At the same time I did get oblivious to people whenever I got to be really working on something that can also bring in the money nicely. But the way I imagine it, petty money issues and workaholism cannot get in the way of a truly good relationship. But I've yet to see that relationship. See my answer to the first question in this section: theory vs practice.

4. Does money relate to how a partner will see you more than security for yourself?

Yes. Just earning money for security for myself is barely energising. Otoh, I've always had a way to figure out how to sustain myself whenever needed so... I think I'd drive some people mad with how reckless I seem here too actually lol... that I don't plan in detail for security but when the need comes up I will take care of it asap without a conscious worry.

So yeah, basically money is good for status and status is good for my competitiveness and my interest in attractiveness. And also good for taking care of the partner. But it's not interesting for security for myself. That's a basic necessity and no more. No extra energy going into it.

5. Are money and resources less for self and more to please an intimate other?

Ideally... see theory vs practice. In practice it's been more for myself.

6. Does your attention go more to how well you relate to a partner or potential partner than to other concerns?

More on building the relationship. Obsessively. Because, to put it simply, I either relate well or I do not, if I do, i.e. I have a strong interest, then that's a given and I'll just have the focus on building the relationship from then on.

Though on second thought... it'd actually be interesting to focus more on how I relate, like, analyse it out in more detail... to know when it really is special lol

7. Would others describe you as dramatic? Do you like to go deep with things?

First part of the question: ah nah I don't have the skills for that. I can play drama privately to myself but that's not going to be shown to others lol.
Second part: Yeah.

8. Do you tend to be in the moment and not think as much about the future or your future security?

Yes.

9. Do you have an urge to merge? Do you "lose yourself" with an important other at times?

First part of the question: in theory... in practice I've been working on connecting to others, for 7 years now, but still with incomplete results.
Second part: mentally-intellectually it's happened, and also when I felt really euphoric about someone but that is so hard to get there, i.e. not with many people and it did not last usually, once it did and then it didn't end well either.
On second thought... if "lose yourself" just means focusing on the other person then that's just default. I first interpreted it in a more emotional way. That is what is hard to get to.

10. Do you like risk taking? New experiences? Tend to get bored without enough stimulation particularly in the area of relationships?

First part of the question: eh small risks. See my answer to question 4 for the sp part of the questionnaire.
Second part: eh sometimes.
Third part: I think emotional stimulation is absolutely needed, yes. Sometimes mental too.

11. Are you focused more on connection with another and forget your own priorities?

In terms of giving my time and energy, yes, in terms of giving up basic needs, no.

12. Do you focus a lot on sexuality, romantic fantasies or mystical spiritual experiences?

Sex is easy! Lol I mean it was always easy for me to speak that "language". So yes a focus on it. Uh, mystical spiritual experiences if it's meant in terms of connection, that is a part of the theory part of the unrealised ideal as above.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My tests had me at SP first and SO as my secondary. Reading your questions though... :huh:
It's pretty confusing stuff rofl.

Like, I live in the country, but I do have neighbors and live beside the interstate. Yet, I still leave my doors unlocked and the windows wide open (I also own 2 large dogs though :D
But I do have a "Go Bag" with survival gear and some tools and rations. I don't like to swell on stuff, but I do have rough plans for the inevitable collapse of society or zombie apocalypse.

I'm more curious about health stuff than concerned... but I do take meds and supplements (I have a crappy diet though and can't remember when I exercised last outside of Physical Therapy for a broken arm).

Socially is even worse. I would sooner die than be the center of attention. I like to be acknowledged when I do good (positive reinforcement FTW), but a head nod or simple thank you would be more than enough. I could care less about status (mine or others) or fashion (please, just kill me now- I mean, I'm careful not to mix up patterns or colors, but that's it).

I'm not the least SX, so that part is easy rofl (I did have the urge to merge as a youth... and sex was almost spiritual for a time, but that's it)

I think I'm more SO than anything because of a description I read elsewhere. It was "Mind Reading". I'm all about peace and harmony. I read a room and can tell what others need or want and I'm driven or compelled to comply. My own needs don't exist (or exist minimally) when I'm around others. I DESPISE chaos and conflict and will do everything in my power to drive those out.

Ahhh... here it is. Oh, I don't think I can share links. The Three Instincts - Enneagram Universe

**EDIT**
Very good... The link went through. It's a very great read even if the black background is migraine inducing :doh:

kittenke

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1/3
My tests had me at SP first and SO as my secondary. Reading your questions though... :huh:
It's pretty confusing stuff rofl.

Thanks for your post and input and the link too. :) Yeaahh confusing just like that lol.

You though have way more sp than I do?!, I don't have plans for survival like that...

Otoh I'd not leave the doors unlocked though recently I did simply because I did not have time to lock the house lol. And I know some people who would go positively apeshit over that but I knew it wasn't gonna be a problem. Btw no dogs...

With health stuff I'm not curious about it. I'm curious about biology, not the same thing. As soon as it comes to health directly, it gets boring. I do take supplements when actually required sometimes (e.g. iron for my training). My training I don't do for health reasons. But ofc good to enjoy the good side effects of fitness for health.

Socially... I care about fashion. :) We are on the same page for not liking to be the center of attention too much and simple thank you being enough.

Why do you say you are not SX at all?

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm too trusting in the goodness of others.... plus, I don't own anything interesting enough to steal other than my PC lol At the same time, though, I don't tempt fate. If I'm driving somewhere and have my iPad, or food, or groceries in the car but have to get out to pump gas or something, I'll lock my car. It's not because I think people are bad, but because kids are stupid and drug addicts are desperate.

I'm fascinated by survival. I'd like little more than to go out and live in a cave somewhere (as long as it had electricity and internet :D) Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to know what plants are useful for.
But I lack the raw intellect to really do anything with what I learn. In fact, I quickly forget it :dry:
I retain information by watching other people do something and then doing it myself a hundred times.
I lack the motivation, finances and social gumption to find someone to teach me.

As for SX... because of my upbringing and self-programming (self-injury), the top two offenders were allowing anyone to see I was upset, and hurting other people. I've never truly and completely bonded with anyone else (Hollywood style). Not even the 4 kids I gave birth to. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I made the connection. I don't let people "in" because I'm terrified of hurting them.
I mean, I'm kind and loving and overly empathetic... but I've never really NEEDED someone else.

I was once a fairly sexual creature, but I've been celibate for some 10 years now (hubby's not interested). But sex was mostly either a chore or something I did largely because I felt the other person needed that. My thought processes never revolved around seduction and the likes.
In fact, I used to laugh with my friends because I'm not attracted to people in the normal sense. I don't feel any sort of pull unless I know and like them.

What is "ofc"? I always want to get in shape, but meh :rotfl: I want a friggin "stripper pole". I'm "part monkey" and love to climb and spin. The pole was the best exercise I've ever done. Everything else just bores me to tears.

kittenke

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1/3
I'm too trusting in the goodness of others.... plus, I don't own anything interesting enough to steal other than my PC lol At the same time, though, I don't tempt fate. If I'm driving somewhere and have my iPad, or food, or groceries in the car but have to get out to pump gas or something, I'll lock my car. It's not because I think people are bad, but because kids are stupid and drug addicts are desperate.

I'm fascinated by survival. I'd like little more than to go out and live in a cave somewhere (as long as it had electricity and internet :D) Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to know what plants are useful for.
But I lack the raw intellect to really do anything with what I learn. In fact, I quickly forget it :dry:
I retain information by watching other people do something and then doing it myself a hundred times.

Hmm if you type S (MBTI), I would say that fits your style of learning, i.e. that you don't start from generalising concepts.

As for SX... because of my upbringing and self-programming (self-injury), the top two offenders were allowing anyone to see I was upset, and hurting other people. I've never truly and completely bonded with anyone else (Hollywood style). Not even the 4 kids I gave birth to. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I made the connection. I don't let people "in" because I'm terrified of hurting them.
I mean, I'm kind and loving and overly empathetic... but I've never really NEEDED someone else.

I was once a fairly sexual creature, but I've been celibate for some 10 years now (hubby's not interested). But sex was mostly either a chore or something I did largely because I felt the other person needed that. My thought processes never revolved around seduction and the likes.
In fact, I used to laugh with my friends because I'm not attracted to people in the normal sense. I don't feel any sort of pull unless I know and like them.

o_O no sex for 10 years, unimaginable to me.

You sound demisexual about your way of getting attracted.

What is "ofc"? I always want to get in shape, but meh :rotfl: I want a friggin "stripper pole". I'm "part monkey" and love to climb and spin. The pole was the best exercise I've ever done. Everything else just bores me to tears.

Ofc = of course

The pole thing sounds like fun :)

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Huh... I don't think I've ever heard demisexual before. I had to google it, and it definitely sounds like me lol. The friends, from my teens, would squeal "Look at his butt!" or his chest. I'd just internally roll my eyes. "What about his butt? I guess it is kind of ??? round? It's a butt.":rotfl:
And, boy, friendships were the hardest. Male, female- didn't matter. If I was especially fond of you, I'd develop a crush. Besides a couple of times, in my younger years, I never had relationships with females because of religious beliefs. I was very fortunate to be surrounded by honorable people. People always want to protect me. I could have gotten myself into some very dangerous situations.

And yes, 10 years has just about crushed me lol. I always flirt with hubby. Whenever we travel and he asks 'You know what I'd like to do?', I answer with "have sex?" hehehe. He's just not healthy enough though (not that he's unwell- just high BP so testosterone supplements are out of the question).

The pole is friggin amazing. My first husband abandoned our 4 kids and me. For about 3 months, I worked as a stripper so we wouldn't lose our apartment.
But I am, very much, a goody-goody, modest and somewhat self-conscious person. I disassociated the entire time (never knew there was such a thing before then). The pole kept me grounded and was tons of fun. I was never in better shape than that time (and never had as many bruises :laugh:)

Thanks for the definition. Ofc, I knew what that meant. How the heck had I forgotten rofl.

And now I've jacked your thread completely. Have you gotten any closer to discovering your instinct stacking?

kittenke

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1/3
Huh... I don't think I've ever heard demisexual before. I had to google it, and it definitely sounds like me lol. The friends, from my teens, would squeal "Look at his butt!" or his chest. I'd just internally roll my eyes. "What about his butt? I guess it is kind of ??? round? It's a butt.":rotfl:
And, boy, friendships were the hardest. Male, female- didn't matter. If I was especially fond of you, I'd develop a crush. Besides a couple of times, in my younger years, I never had relationships with females because of religious beliefs. I was very fortunate to be surrounded by honorable people. People always want to protect me. I could have gotten myself into some very dangerous situations.

And yes, 10 years has just about crushed me lol. I always flirt with hubby. Whenever we travel and he asks 'You know what I'd like to do?', I answer with "have sex?" hehehe. He's just not healthy enough though (not that he's unwell- just high BP so testosterone supplements are out of the question).

The pole is friggin amazing. My first husband abandoned our 4 kids and me. For about 3 months, I worked as a stripper so we wouldn't lose our apartment.
But I am, very much, a goody-goody, modest and somewhat self-conscious person. I disassociated the entire time (never knew there was such a thing before then). The pole kept me grounded and was tons of fun. I was never in better shape than that time (and never had as many bruises :laugh:)

Thanks for the definition. Ofc, I knew what that meant. How the heck had I forgotten rofl.

And now I've jacked your thread completely. Have you gotten any closer to discovering your instinct stacking?

Glad if the demisexual term fits you. Maybe you are not sx-last after all though? :)

As for myself, I see all of the instincts to some degree and I don't see any of them as being very strong or all-consuming in that black and white stereotypical way. So that's where I am...

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hehe, I guess sx isn't a *complete* zero :D

Maybe the confusion is just part of being well-rounded? I know I have a hard time answering certain questions, because I consider all possible possibilities lol

Even though my test has sp as primary, I really think so is my main go-to. Just go with your gut.