• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ, ISFJ, or something else? Halp.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Reread: "(albeit stereotypical) S." You mentioned it yourself, "Perhaps gravitation towards heath is more frequently initiated by sensor's but it does not necessarily. hold(And I know you're not sealing your decision based on this)."
Yes, It is simply a factor, just another point of consideration, not telling of type in on itself. That being said;

Yeah, once I read "stereotypical," I added the parenthesis...The rest was a rambling mess.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, so I have to point out that... my scores for some of the Big 5 are somewhat similar to yours, Dante.

Big Five Personality Dimensions
Extraversion - 22nd percentile - very low
Agreeableness - 90th percentile - very high
Conscientiousness - 57th percentile - about average
Neuroticism - 68th percentile - high
Openness - 93rd percentile - extremely high

This would supposedly make me an INFJ, but I can't - just can't - see Ni as my dominant function. And my Fi is higher than my Fe. So, take it with a grain of salt. Read the descriptions and go with the one that sounds more like you.

Dante H.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay, so I have to point out that... my scores for some of the Big 5 are somewhat similar to yours, Dante.

Big Five Personality Dimensions
Extraversion - 22nd percentile - very low
Agreeableness - 90th percentile - very high
Conscientiousness - 57th percentile - about average
Neuroticism - 68th percentile - high
Openness - 93rd percentile - extremely high

This would supposedly make me an INFJ, but I can't - just can't - see Ni as my dominant function. And my Fi is higher than my Fe. So, take it with a grain of salt. Read the descriptions and go with the one that sounds more like you.

Why would that make you an INFJ? Is there somewhere that says it, or are you basing it off that I think I might be an INFJ? I could very well be INFP too.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why would that make you an INFJ? Is there somewhere that says it, or are you basing it off that I think I might be an INFJ? I could very well be INFP too.

I believe Conscientiousness is supposed to be somewhat correlated to J/P (with higher levels associated with J). So, with both of ours being over 50%, I believe it would call us INFJs (someone please correct me if I have this wrong). I just wanted to point out, when you're closer to the mid-line on some of these, you might also consider the other (which you are obviously also doing!)

I think the others are: Extroversion - E/I, Agreeableness - F/T, and Openness - N/S (the the higher score being the first listed).

The other things you've mentioned, regarding communication style, and preferring Fe over Fi, lean more toward INFJ for you.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Luminous is right. That kind of profile more or less correlates with INFJ, however, I see a few interesting things here.

Self-Discipline - 22nd percentile - very low
You have very low self-discipline—which is the ability to get to work quickly, stay focused, and avoid distractions or procrastination.
Self-Efficacy - 40th percentile - low
When you need to do something, you have low ability to get it done and do it well (or maybe more accurately, you believe that your ability is low).

Immoderation - 98th percentile - extremely high
You have extremely low self-control when it comes to resisting temptations; there are extremely high chances that you'll give into your desires and binge (on shopping, eating, drinking, or whatever your vices are). Note that self-discipline (a facet of conscientiousness) deals with your ability to focus your attention on accomplishing goals, whereas immoderation refers to your ability to resist temptations.

These are parts of what makes J, J. I can see now why/how you considered INFP. The rest does point to J, after all, this is more of a matter of preference rather than a skill. To put it in a bit of a mundane comparison, people can have their right hand as their dominant, but not everyone writes as well as some people. Not all Js aren't distractible, and they can have low confidence in their capability of getting things done. Js also aren't without temptations. What matters most is that you stick to the baseline goal and do end up achieving it, even if it's messy on the way there (preference, not skill level)- how you cognitively function/process how things work. The facets above do affect your methodology but does not necessarily dictate them, but you did mention that you sometimes indeed leave tasks unfinished. That, and not everyone is strongly one way or another; you may be more in the middle.

If you would like to discern further, it might be worth going into why you do not complete certain tasks, and what kind are they? Do you schedule? Do schedules and plans restrict you/feel suffocating more than not?

Interestingly, the facets that correlate with MBTI Intuition are also very high. These two typology systems are separate but there is a degree of correlation and studies made on them (sadly I do not have the one source/link I had about it with me), though not absolutely definitive. If anything however, if you do identify as, or if other people/tests identify you more of an INFJ than ISFJ, at least you may have a better idea why.

Settling on I-FJ seems pretty safe for now (and you do seem quite I-FJ so far), while figuring out more as you do more research and post more in this forum. It'll allow other members to see how you think and process to understand you and better help find your type as well. Personally I am still inclined towards S over in because of 1) your goals being shorter term 2) the only reason you're typing as N is 'imaginativeness' which is not strictly S/N 3) the activities you have mentioned are (albeit stereotypically) 'S' in nature. Also- if you are I-FJ, it means your perceiving function (Ni/Si) is introverted, and might not be readily apparent. Consider this a preliminary judgement, the journey to find one's type is a long one.

Dante H.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you would like to discern further, it might be worth going into why you do not complete certain tasks, and what kind are they? Do you schedule? Do schedules and plans restrict you/feel suffocating more than not?

I think the reason I sometimes don't complete tasks is because I'm a perfectionist and I'm not really happy with my performance so I "give it a break" and then end up not working on it. I always have the intention of going back, and I know I eventually will (even if it takes a looong time). Schedules and plans don't suffocate me, but they do give me anxiety because it's all I can think about and I can't really enjoy myself unless I get it done. But I'm too lazy to get it done, so there's that. If I'm at school or doing some other work, I'll leave it all until the last few days or night and then bang it all out in one go.

Personally I am still inclined towards S over in because of 1) your goals being shorter term 2) the only reason you're typing as N is 'imaginativeness' which is not strictly S/N 3) the activities you have mentioned are (albeit stereotypically) 'S' in nature. Also- if you are I-FJ, it means your perceiving function (Ni/Si) is introverted, and might not be readily apparent. Consider this a preliminary judgement, the journey to find one's type is a long one.

Thanks for that :) Is there any way I can make ni/si more apparent? Any scenarios you could think up or anything?

Dante H.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I believe Conscientiousness is supposed to be somewhat correlated to J/P (with higher levels associated with J). So, with both of ours being over 50%, I believe it would call us INFJs (someone please correct me if I have this wrong). I just wanted to point out, when you're closer to the mid-line on some of these, you might also consider the other (which you are obviously also doing!)

I think the others are: Extroversion - E/I, Agreeableness - F/T, and Openness - N/S (the the higher score being the first listed).

The other things you've mentioned, regarding communication style, and preferring Fe over Fi, lean more toward INFJ for you.

Thank you! That helped a whole lot.

Dante H.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey, guys. I just did the socionics quiz and I typed as INFP? It's the one thing I've read so far that made me say YES, that's me. Not sure what's going on but looks like I'm confusing myself further. I related to all of this, though:

IEI-1Fe (INFp)
Intuitive Ethical Introvert - The Romantic
Using introverted intuition as her base function and extroverted feeling as his creative, the IEI lives in a world of vivid imagery and imagination. Like the SEI, the IEI is a very creative type and is often seen channelling this creativity towards artistic pursuits such as music. However the two types' creativities diverge with the SEI's creativities channeled towards more tangible creations and the IEI's channeled towards more intangible creations--e.g., the creation of imaginary worlds or stories. The IEI is acutely attuned to the effect these creations can have on people's emotional state, and it is not uncommon for these creations to have a strong emotional impact on people. At her best, the IEI provides deep and meaningful insight into events and trends--particularly those involving human interaction. At her worst, the IEI can become lost in her imagination and lackadaisical. Overall, the IEI's depth of imagination and emotion often goes unidentified by those around her, and this is perpetuated by the IEI's disinterest in broadcasting these traits.

It said I was 99% as likely to be typed as INFJ as well, though, so...bleh.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's confusing in that introverts in socionics have the last letter flipped. So what you got roughly translates to INFJ. :)

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Differentiating Ni from Si can be difficult due to their internal nature... Think of Ni as the projection of data points within present space to imaginary/future space.... The individual elements (compiled from real space) are transformed into a space curve that represents the subconscious saturation of multiple elements to yield an instantaneous insight (projection from real space to imaginary space). Think of Si as a chain reaction in which the elements in past space feed elements within present space....Now Si can also project into future space, however it will be linked linearly from past space....So, the main distinction lies in the direction and degree of saturation in respect to the elements at play. Here's a few instances of Ni/Si: Suppose you are thinking about the solution to some problem. You are unable to solve it within the present moment, however, you are compiling new elements into your repository....During sleep/awake state, your subconscious is slowly linking the elements together...Eventually, a saturation point is reached such that all elements are connected together to form a singular insight/epiphany/realization. Now, suppose you enter a new work environment (obtaining new job). Si will immediately look for similarities within the atmosphere (linkages from past connections) to effectively adapt to the new situation, and solve problems of a similar basis.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think the reason I sometimes don't complete tasks is because I'm a perfectionist and I'm not really happy with my performance so I "give it a break" and then end up not working on it. I always have the intention of going back, and I know I eventually will (even if it takes a looong time). Schedules and plans don't suffocate me, but they do give me anxiety because it's all I can think about and I can't really enjoy myself unless I get it done. But I'm too lazy to get it done, so there's that. If I'm at school or doing some other work, I'll leave it all until the last few days or night and then bang it all out in one go.

The fact you still focus or care and not necessarily feel restricted by them (only by your perfectionism, not the tasks themselves) I'd still say J.
"I'll leave it all until the last few days or night" you still do prioritize and end up finishing them after all, after other important tasks. Lazy or not you still 'schedule' them out in your head (because this is a cognitive process, not behavioural model).

"I can't really enjoy myself unless I get it done" > a facet of conscientiousness, being more task-based/having a focus in it, needing closure/finish = more J.

Thanks for that :) Is there any way I can make ni/si more apparent? Any scenarios you could think up or anything?

Other than the questions I have asked, no. Imaginativeness itself does not correlate to N (a lot of S are artists. A lot), and facets of openness such as high emotionality is generally F, though there is a tie to N in that N would be more likely to explore emotions as a concept. This is a little narrow because it also consists of things such as "daydreaming about a future love" which really, everyone can do. S would rather actually experience them or derive their thoughts from what they have already experienced.

Another dead giveaway between S and N; "I trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what I actually experienced".
I notice that when recalling things, S can retell the event in significant detail while N would have its own unique takeaway, sometimes in a way that 'does not make sense' necessarily to others because it is a more personal, symbolic interpretation. Your 'imaginativeness' seems to be geared towards emotions, which is more F in general rather than necessarily telling of S/N. I don't know the content or nature of your stories enough to discern whether it is more S or N in nature. After all, both can be musicians, actors, writers, singers, etc.

That being said, ISFJ and INFJ are a common mistype. If you do want to go with any for now, go ahead with either. As you post more, your priorities the working of your mind will become more obvious and others can provide more input as you go.

Socionics is a behavioural type model and geared more towards intertype relationships (information present on its homepage itself Sociotype.com: Socionics Applied). Some of the socionincs functions, though going by the same name, do not share the same definition as their MBTI counterparts. For eg, you can type as socionics ESTJ and MBTI ENFJ. I wouldn't tie them together because there is do direct correlation / direct conversion (eg; socionics ENTj are not necessarily MBTI ENTJ) to begin with, it's a bit misleading in that aspect.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Other than the questions I have asked, no. Imaginativeness itself does not correlate to N (a lot of S are artists. A lot), and facets of openness such as high emotionality is generally F, though there is a tie to N in that N would be more likely to explore emotions as a concept. This is a little narrow because it also consists of things such as "daydreaming about a future love" which really, everyone can do. S would rather actually experience them or derive their thoughts from what they have already experienced.

Yes, that is one key misconception which can skew typing results. I think Se users can be quite imaginative and creative, especially artistically. They are adept at transforming real space in such a way to appeal/derive pleasure via the senses (coupled with Te or Ti). Further, by deriving energy from sensory stimulus, Se users can imagine scenarios that linked to the manipulation of real space (tied to reality). Of course, diverting the mind beyond their focal point can suppress the positive feedback initiated from the 5 senses. By defining conceptual space, it will follow that Ne users will be adept at transforming it in such a way to appeal/derive pleasure via the creation of novel ideas which transcend the senses (yet the individual components derived from the senses will be sparse relative to high Se user). Se users also create novel ideas, however, the distinction lies in the focal point. Since functions are coupled, there will exist a degree of overlap between them, which can mask the true identity (in this case----mbti type) to an extent. So, in this regard, Si users can generate/refine new conceptual ideas quite often, however, it will be superficial relative to a dominant Ne user (less extensive/developed).

Now, a dominant Si user (isfj) will rely heavily on past connections derived from internal understanding of sensory input to define their reality such that new/novel ideas can clash with their internal structure of reality....hence, permitting rejection because the new input would cause their structure readjust/conform to the new conditions (analogous to tetris). Similarly, a dominant Ni user (infj) will rely heavily on their subconscious framework to guide them down a particular path such that minute sensory details can clash with their internal vision because these details are unnecessary to attain goal x,y,z, exc. That is, only the correct sensory input is translated within their network to yield these recurring realizations that propel them forward.

Dante H.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The fact you still focus or care and not necessarily feel restricted by them (only by your perfectionism, not the tasks themselves) I'd still say J.
"I'll leave it all until the last few days or night" you still do prioritize and end up finishing them after all, after other important tasks. Lazy or not you still 'schedule' them out in your head (because this is a cognitive process, not behavioural model).

"I can't really enjoy myself unless I get it done" > a facet of conscientiousness, being more task-based/having a focus in it, needing closure/finish = more J.

This is very true. Glad I can get a solid on J, then!

This is a little narrow because it also consists of things such as "daydreaming about a future love" which really, everyone can do. S would rather actually experience them or derive their thoughts from what they have already experienced.

I have to say that I would much prefer to daydream than experience, since I feel like I get more out of it imaginatively than I do actually experiencing a situation (I'm usually let down when I do experience it), but that may also be because I'm socially anxious. And, when I have experienced something good, I do replay it over in my head. It usually turns into a fictional scenario where I said/did different things since I do like to play out different scenarios like that in my head, but I think overall that's more of an S trait? am I wrong?

Another dead giveaway between S and N; "I trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what I actually experienced".
I notice that when recalling things, S can retell the event in significant detail while N would have its own unique takeaway, sometimes in a way that 'does not make sense' necessarily to others because it is a more personal, symbolic interpretation.

This is difficult too, since my memory recall can be really spot on. I do notice it's only like that with traumatic situations and not all situations, though, but still may be S if that's the case? I think I'll just use X for now until I can get something solid down. I know if I read about ISFJ I immediately think "eh, kind of me, kind of not" but I know a lot of what you read about those types is flavour text, and they really lean into the 'S LOVES ROUTINE' idea which I don't relate to a lot.

Socionics is a behavioural type model and geared more towards intertype relationships (information present on its homepage itself Sociotype.com: Socionics Applied). Some of the socionincs functions, though going by the same name, do not share the same definition as their MBTI counterparts. For eg, you can type as socionics ESTJ and MBTI ENFJ. I wouldn't tie them together because there is do direct correlation / direct conversion (eg; socionics ENTj are not necessarily MBTI ENTJ) to begin with, it's a bit misleading in that aspect.

Thank you! Good to know I've probably got a solid on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Differentiating Ni from Si can be difficult due to their internal nature... Think of Ni as the projection of data points within present space to imaginary/future space.... The individual elements (compiled from real space) are transformed into a space curve that represents the subconscious saturation of multiple elements to yield an instantaneous insight (projection from real space to imaginary space). Think of Si as a chain reaction in which the elements in past space feed elements within present space....Now Si can also project into future space, however it will be linked linearly from past space....So, the main distinction lies in the direction and degree of saturation in respect to the elements at play. Here's a few instances of Ni/Si: Suppose you are thinking about the solution to some problem. You are unable to solve it within the present moment, however, you are compiling new elements into your repository....During sleep/awake state, your subconscious is slowly linking the elements together...Eventually, a saturation point is reached such that all elements are connected together to form a singular insight/epiphany/realization. Now, suppose you enter a new work environment (obtaining new job). Si will immediately look for similarities within the atmosphere (linkages from past connections) to effectively adapt to the new situation, and solve problems of a similar basis.

Okay, that's interesting. I'll have to mull that over a bit.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is very true. Glad I can get a solid on J, then!

I have to say that I would much prefer to daydream than experience, since I feel like I get more out of it imaginatively than I do actually experiencing a situation (I'm usually let down when I do experience it), but that may also be because I'm socially anxious. And, when I have experienced something good, I do replay it over in my head. It usually turns into a fictional scenario where I said/did different things since I do like to play out different scenarios like that in my head, but I think overall that's more of an S trait? am I wrong?

Contemplativeness, reflectiveness is generally I in on itself. It's more about how or what you contemplate about, and why. What do you 'imagine', say?
Replaying over and over (especially as-is) is more S, and Si in particular. What you imagine is still in context about the 'real' situation that happened (other options or methods you could have used to engage that specific situation itself) as opposed to deriving symbolic meaning (not just general meaning or values) or projecting towards the future, so I would say S > N off this alone. In fact say, an ISFJ in loop can very particular replay things over and over again, looking at all the other alternatives of how things could have played out (engaging in their Ne from a Si basis, you could say).

I know if I read about ISFJ I immediately think "eh, kind of me, kind of not" but I know a lot of what you read about those types is flavour text, and they really lean into the 'S LOVES ROUTINE' idea which I don't relate to a lot.

If you want to go by stereotypes, pure routine is J, not S. What other parts do you not relate to about ISFJ?

Dante H.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Replaying over and over (especially as-is) is more S, and Si in particular. What you imagine is still in context about the 'real' situation that happened (other options or methods you could have used to engage that specific situation itself) as opposed to deriving symbolic meaning (not just general meaning or values) or projecting towards the future, so I would say S > N off this alone.

That makes sense to me.

If you want to go by stereotypes, pure routine is J, not S. What other parts do you not relate to about ISFJ?

I think it's everything I've read about them being very practical, grounded, and aware. I can relate to some of it, but I just feel like it's missing a lot for me. I'll c&p something I saw on a rando website and elaborate on it (I know they're stereotypes but might give an idea?)

– They are keenly aware of all the details around them. (I wouldn't say so, but I might be interpreting it wrong. I often miss what's right in front of my face, but I'll notice sounds and smells that I'm not expecting since I'm bothered a lot by them.)

– They are down-to-earth and outwardly matter-of-fact. (Half-half? I think I'm probably matter-of-fact, but I wouldn't say down to earth.)

– They absorb and place importance on proven facts, which they can recall swiftly. (Unsure. I don't trust a lot of "proven facts" unless it's really something that can't be disputed, but I think pretty much anything can be.)

– They tend to be hard-working and responsible. (Hard-working, yes, responsible, half-half. I'm only responsible when I don't want to hurt someone's feelings, or when I'll get into trouble if I'm not.)

– They have a respect for history and traditions. (Not really for traditions. I think I appreciate things more if they're a once-off, or a twice-off. I get bored and frustrated if things are the same theme all the time. I wouldn't say I have a respect for history.)

– They enjoy tried-and-true techniques. (Yes, if it's a tried-and-true technique that I've built that's efficient. I have so much trouble picking up on what other people have built. I feel like I need to see every step of the way of the creation of something to truly get it. Probably why I have so much trouble with all of this, haha.)

– They focus on what already exists and prefer to deal with concrete realities, facts, and examples. (Yes to the "concrete examples". Unsure on concrete facts.)

– They form future forecasts based on what they’ve learned through personal experience. (Unsure. Is this like moving a box or something because I can just tell someone is going to trip over it?)

– They thrive on routine and like to know what to expect. (I don't thrive on routine. I have mini-routines in games where I'll do things in a certain way all the time for efficiency, but I don't think I do it in my real life. I'll just do what I want when I think of it.)

– They are very detail-oriented and attentive, but can be less aware of “the big picture”. (I've always felt like I focused on the bigger picture more than anything. It annoys me when people get hung up on details, since I feel like my time is being wasted. But at the same time, I do think I pick up on inconsistencies well.

– They are very aware of inner body sensations like hunger or illness. (Yes.)

– They tend to be careful with money. (No, the very worst. If I want something, I'm going to get it even if I'm going into debt.)

– They are often described as “conservative”, “practical” or “level-headed”. (No.)

Dante H.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
By the way, I did do the questionnaire you originally posted but I kinda feel like I’ve blabbed so much about myself at this point that maybe I shouldn’t post it. Not sure if there’s any new info now anyway.