User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default [DISCONTINUED] Would you like help with determining your dichotomies?

NOTICE: As of 11/11/2018, I have discontinued this "type yourself" project. Do not expect a response if you wish to receive assistance in finding your type.

This is a thread where, instead of the OP being typed, it's the OP doing the typing.

First things first, if you want to be typed with functions, you've come to the wrong place. I firmly believe that functions are a category mistake, and any validity functions such as Ti and Ne can claim is piggy-backed to their respective dichotomy combinations, such as TP and NP. Type dynamics (the so called "function axes") never reflect in statistical data in such a way where you have TP/FJ and NP/SJ or TJ/FP and NJ/SP clustered together. More importantly, I don't believe it makes any sense to limit one's understanding of a type to just two dichotomy combinations, either. The full MBTI model for, say, an INTP is not merely ITP + NP, but instead I + N + T + P + IN + IT + TP + NT + NP + TP + INT + INP + ITP + NTP + INTP.

There's a time and a place to debate validity, but this thread isn't the place to do so because it would distract me from typing others.

Okay, now that we're clear on the terms, let's get to it.

Here's a link to a copy of the official MBTI test; it contains both the question items and their responses, and it also marks the relevant dichotomies for each response.

To give one example, here is the first test item.

#1 When you go somewhere for the day, would you rather
    *J plan what you will do and when, or
    *P just go
    I'd like you to go through the test, highlight the answers you relate to the most, and then count them to determine your dichotomy scores. Once you've done that, post your scores in this thread.

To give an example, here are my own scores:
    I: 17 E: 4
    N: 24 S: 2
    T: 21 F: 3
    P: 15 J: 7

If there are any items that leave you racking your brain, choose an answer anyway, but feel free to post the test item along with a brief explanation of why it left you hanging.

The four dichotomies are not so much binary opposites as they are a spectrum (or multiple spectrums) of preference. It's quite possible to be close enough to the middle of one or more dichotomies where "x" is the best fit. Thus, if there are multiple types that are a valid possibility, it would pay to read through relevant type profiles to identify traits with which you can relate.

Unfortunately, I don't have links to reports from the MBTI Manual, Third Edition to share with you. I suggest visiting the site Oddly Developed Types, whose profiles contain info sourced directly from reports in that book. Unlike most places online, type profiles are not pulled out of mid air based on the author's purely subjective abstractions of an archetype.

One final note. Although this thread will remain open indefinitely, I could call it a day at any time due to real life commitments or high demand from posters, or if this thread loses interest.

Without further adieu, let's begin.
    Last edited by Shadow Play; 11-11-2018 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Project has been discontinued.
    Likes Hexcoder liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    613 sp/so

Ooh I call first, I'm going to edit this almost immediately to do what your post asks

ALSO for sake of ease, here is the link OP was providing: Official Mbti. The html got a little bit messy when you posted it here

Overall score was INTP. My biggest issues with my results is that it doesn't match my mbti step 2 (INxJ, though I didn't think that was right anyways, I have them if you want a reference?) and also I struggle with black and white responses like these because I'm wishy washy like that. Also I think the N choices here in general are more attrractive sounding than the S choices (ie. "Create" generally has a more positive connotation than "Make" societally speaking) Nonetheless, my results:

Last edited by RooibosKrayfish; 10-28-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Adding my answers and irrelevant comments UwU

Illuminatriangle of Rage Ixaerus's Avatar
    Enneagram
    538 sp/so

Lines up too. I'll do the same thing Kray's doing.

--- Which answer comes closest to describing how you usually feel or act?

--- Which word in each pair appeals to you more? Think about what the words mean, not about how they look or how they sound.

--- Which word in each pair appeals to you more? Think about what the words mean, not about how they look or how they sound.

JohariNohari
    You kneel before my throne unaware that it was born of lies.
    A language that cannot be written, only seen.
    Likes RooibosKrayfish, Hexcoder liked this post

However You Project Me
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Just to note the last letter for introverts makes it odd for dichotomy tests.

but me 3
    Maybe we can save the world
    From every evil boy and dangerous girl
    Please make me believe in harmony

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RooibosKrayfish View Post
    Ooh I call first, I'm going to edit this almost immediately to do what your post asks

ALSO for sake of ease, here is the link OP was providing. The html got a little bit messy when you posted it here

Overall score was INTP. My biggest issues with my results is that it doesn't match my mbti step 2 (INxJ, though I didn't think that was right anyways, I have them if you want a reference?) and also I struggle with black and white responses like these because I'm wishy washy like that. Also I think the N choices here in general are more attrractive sounding than the S choices (ie. "Create" generally has a more positive connotation than "Make" societally speaking) Nonetheless, my results:

Thanks for providing a link. When I tried inserting the link into my posts, Typology Central just said "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words." I think this is meant to be a deterrent against spam, and it's probably affecting my posts because I only recently joined this forum.

This is a test where, according to the official MBTI statistics, over 70% of takers came out with an S preference. Chances are the N results seem more interesting to you because you are an N yourself. I think the average S would be more concerned about practicality than what they perceive to be "head in the clouds" flights of fancy.

I see a forced choice test such as the MBTI as having its disadvantages as well as its advantages. On the one hand, it doesn't show the strength of a preference for a particular aspect of each dichotomy, meaning that a test taker could come out with strong P results, and yet only have a mild preference for most of their P responses. On the other hand, the items that made it onto the official test made it through a refined "screening process". Myers had devised thousands of test items, and when she tested them against a number of subjects, the ones which correlated the most strongly with their respective dichotomy preference were the ones that made it onto the test. Basically, the the items for dichotomies such as J/P were the ones with the highest responses among Js and Ps.

Here are your results.
    I: 15, E: 6
    N: 21, S: 3
    T: 20, F: 1
    P: 14, J: 7

I'd be interested in seeing your Step II responses; especially your J/P ones. How did you choose predominantly P answers, and yet see yourself as a J on the Step II?

Quote Originally Posted by Ixaerus View Post
    Lines up too. I'll do the same thing Kray's doing.

I: 20 E: 1
    N: 21 S 5
    T: 22 F: 2
    J: 19 P: 3

Your overall results indicate an INTJ type. Why do you type yourself as an INFP instead? Also, isn't 538 an unusual tritype for an INFP? It seems like something that would better describe an INTJ.

@Shadow Play - I see you are a new user. You have perhaps come here to ask for feedback on your test, no?

One of my biggest criticisms is that you do not hide what letter the statement refers to. Sure, most people here already know what you are attempting to test, but newer people may not, yet still have some idea of what type they would "like" to be. You need to "blind" your test, for lack of a better term. Moreover, putting a way of tallying the scores so people don't have to manually count up 93 questions worth of results would be nice.

You may also consider placing future tests in this subforum: https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/forum43/

My results: ISFP

S 23 N 3
    I 16 E 5
    P 13 J 9
    F 13 T 11

I do not feel as though I have P demeanor or attitude about myself, though I may act a bit as one because I do not have a rather strong J preference and I am not a naturally organized person.

Full results

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by /DG/ View Post
    @Shadow Play - I see you are a new user. You have perhaps come here to ask for feedback on your test, no?

One of my biggest criticisms is that you do not hide what letter the statement refers to. Sure, most people here already know what you are attempting to test, but newer people may not, yet still have some idea of what type they would "like" to be. You need to "blind" your test, for lack of a better term. Moreover, putting a way of tallying the scores so people don't have to manually count up 93 questions worth of results.

You may also consider placing future tests in this subforum: https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/forum43/

My results: ISFP

S 23 N 3
    I 16 E 5
    P 13 J 9
    F 13 T 11

Full results
    It's not my test; it's a copy of the official MBTI test. I'd prefer to link forum members to an online test version where they answer the questions, without knowing which question is asking for which dichotomy, and it shows up with the results showing dichotomy preferences. However, for anyone with a bit of MBTI knowledge, it should be fairly obvious which dichotomies the questions are asking for, so why hide them at all?

I'm not asking for feedback on the test. The purpose is to provide a tool with which to identify your dichotomy preferences, and I've created a thread specifically for the purpose of discussing results with takers, to go over any aspects of type with which they might have doubts.

Your results indicate an ISFP type overall, but both your F and P are borderline; F in particular. I'm inclined to go with ISfp.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
    It's not my test; it's a copy of the official MBTI test.
    Oh I see. I saw the user above stating that it didn't correspond to the actual MBTI test, so I assumed it was different.

I'd prefer to link forum members to an online test version where they answer the questions, without knowing which question is asking for which dichotomy, and it shows up with the results showing dichotomy preferences. However, for anyone with a bit of MBTI knowledge, it should be fairly obvious which dichotomies the questions are asking for, so why hide them at all?
    More for the new users who are less knowledgeable, I would think.

I'm not asking for feedback on the test. The purpose is to provide a tool with which to identify your dichotomy preferences, and I've created a thread specifically for the purpose of discussing results with takers, to go over any aspects of type with which they might have doubts.
    Ah I see. I have been mistaken then. My apologies.

At any rate, I edited my post above stating that I am likely more of a J type. But you do not have to feel the need to discuss this with me. I misconstrued the idea of the thread.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    613 sp/so

Thanks for providing a link. When I tried inserting the link into my posts, Typology Central just said "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words." I think this is meant to be a deterrent against spam, and it's probably affecting my posts because I only recently joined this forum.

This is a test where, according to the official MBTI statistics, over 70% of takers came out with an S preference. Chances are the N results seem more interesting to you because you are an N yourself. I think the average S would be more concerned about practicality than what they perceive to be "head in the clouds" flights of fancy.

I see a forced choice test such as the MBTI as having its disadvantages as well as its advantages. On the one hand, it doesn't show the strength of a preference for a particular aspect of each dichotomy, meaning that a test taker could come out with strong P results, and yet only have a mild preference for most of their P responses. On the other hand, the items that made it onto the official test made it through a refined "screening process". Myers had devised thousands of test items, and when she tested them against a number of subjects, the ones which correlated the most strongly with their respective dichotomy preference were the ones that made it onto the test. Basically, the the items for dichotomies such as J/P were the ones with the highest responses among Js and Ps.

Here are your results.
    I: 15, E: 6
    N: 21, S: 3
    T: 20, F: 1
    P: 14, J: 7
    I figured. When I take dichtometry tests online, I typically score around that (typically IxTx, most commonly INTJ or ISTP). This test in particular seems to have resulted in slightly more polarized results than I typically get... Despite commonly getting T on tests, that ratio is quite a surprise.

I'd be interested in seeing your Step II responses; especially your J/P ones. How did you choose predominantly P answers, and yet see yourself as a J on the Step II?
    Yeah, I was also surprised that I scored distinctly J on the facets as well, especially looking at the way I responded to these questions. I have a tendency to fall in the center on most of the dichotomies though (except for I) so idk

Here are my results I posted not so long ago (if you're curious as to where the 0.5s came from, those are the ones I forced myself to choose on where I scored confusingly towards the center):

If your curious about which facet descriptions I analyzed here in particular, I got them from this site: Descriptions of the MBTI Step II Facets (Though I've read more into them before)
    Last edited by RooibosKrayfish; 10-28-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Wrong formatting :/

Illuminatriangle of Rage Ixaerus's Avatar
    Enneagram
    538 sp/so

Your overall results indicate an INTJ type. Why do you type yourself as an INFP instead? Also, isn't 538 an unusual tritype for an INFP? It seems like something that would better describe an INTJ.
    I'm going between INTJ, INFJ, INFP.

I settled on INFJ (and was sure) but people on this forum gave me arguments for INTJ (because I used more Te and Fi, but most people can't really tell in what order), and someone gave me one for INFP. I have never considered INFP before because I never relate to them or the type overall, but their explanations were good enough for me to entertain it while learning more about it as well.

The problem with INFP is that functions wise, I have always related more to Ni-Se, but this is dichotomy and not functions.
    That, and compared to other INFP, we are just so different.

The problem with INTJ is that I'm too passive / 'gentle' to be one, that, and I have trouble making long-term plans and sticking to them, but I'm not sure if that is due to life circumstances or if I'm just not INTJ. I definitely prefer to be more organized and among P types, I tend to be more organized than them- I can't live without a plan / schedule. Being spontaneous is stressing and I don't like changing plans once they have been made, if something needs to be done I prefer planning it in advance.

Stereotypically, I'm not a perfect fit for either of those three. Dichotomy-wise, I always get INTJ.

For enneagram, I am sure that is my tritype, of all the types, 5 fits me most, and of the heart and gut, I relate to 3 and 8 most, in that order.
    I took this test to see if there could be any new perspectives / input offered from dichotomy typing, since I and the people typing me have always used functions.
    JohariNohari
    You kneel before my throne unaware that it was born of lies.
    A language that cannot be written, only seen.