• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you like help with determining your dichotomies?

Shadow Play

[DISCONTINUED] Would you like help with determining your dichotomies?

NOTICE: As of 11/11/2018, I have discontinued this "type yourself" project. Do not expect a response if you wish to receive assistance in finding your type.

This is a thread where, instead of the OP being typed, it's the OP doing the typing.

First things first, if you want to be typed with functions, you've come to the wrong place. I firmly believe that functions are a category mistake, and any validity functions such as Ti and Ne can claim is piggy-backed to their respective dichotomy combinations, such as TP and NP. Type dynamics (the so called "function axes") never reflect in statistical data in such a way where you have TP/FJ and NP/SJ or TJ/FP and NJ/SP clustered together. More importantly, I don't believe it makes any sense to limit one's understanding of a type to just two dichotomy combinations, either. The full MBTI model for, say, an INTP is not merely ITP + NP, but instead I + N + T + P + IN + IT + TP + NT + NP + TP + INT + INP + ITP + NTP + INTP.

There's a time and a place to debate validity, but this thread isn't the place to do so because it would distract me from typing others.

Okay, now that we're clear on the terms, let's get to it.

Here's a link to a copy of the official MBTI test; it contains both the question items and their responses, and it also marks the relevant dichotomies for each response.

To give one example, here is the first test item.

#1 When you go somewhere for the day, would you rather
*J plan what you will do and when, or
*P just go

I'd like you to go through the test, highlight the answers you relate to the most, and then count them to determine your dichotomy scores. Once you've done that, post your scores in this thread.

To give an example, here are my own scores:
I: 17 E: 4
N: 24 S: 2
T: 21 F: 3
P: 15 J: 7

If there are any items that leave you racking your brain, choose an answer anyway, but feel free to post the test item along with a brief explanation of why it left you hanging.

The four dichotomies are not so much binary opposites as they are a spectrum (or multiple spectrums) of preference. It's quite possible to be close enough to the middle of one or more dichotomies where "x" is the best fit. Thus, if there are multiple types that are a valid possibility, it would pay to read through relevant type profiles to identify traits with which you can relate.

Unfortunately, I don't have links to reports from the MBTI Manual, Third Edition to share with you. I suggest visiting the site Oddly Developed Types, whose profiles contain info sourced directly from reports in that book. Unlike most places online, type profiles are not pulled out of mid air based on the author's purely subjective abstractions of an archetype.

One final note. Although this thread will remain open indefinitely, I could call it a day at any time due to real life commitments or high demand from posters, or if this thread loses interest.

Without further adieu, let's begin.

Last edited:

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ooh I call first, I'm going to edit this almost immediately to do what your post asks

ALSO for sake of ease, here is the link OP was providing: Official Mbti. The html got a little bit messy when you posted it here

Overall score was INTP. My biggest issues with my results is that it doesn't match my mbti step 2 (INxJ, though I didn't think that was right anyways, I have them if you want a reference?) and also I struggle with black and white responses like these because I'm wishy washy like that. Also I think the N choices here in general are more attrractive sounding than the S choices (ie. "Create" generally has a more positive connotation than "Make" societally speaking) Nonetheless, my results:

Last edited:

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lines up too. I'll do the same thing Kray's doing.

--- Which answer comes closest to describing how you usually feel or act?

--- Which word in each pair appeals to you more? Think about what the words mean, not about how they look or how they sound.

--- Which word in each pair appeals to you more? Think about what the words mean, not about how they look or how they sound.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just to note the last letter for introverts makes it odd for dichotomy tests.

but me 3

Shadow Play

Ooh I call first, I'm going to edit this almost immediately to do what your post asks

ALSO for sake of ease, here is the link OP was providing. The html got a little bit messy when you posted it here

Overall score was INTP. My biggest issues with my results is that it doesn't match my mbti step 2 (INxJ, though I didn't think that was right anyways, I have them if you want a reference?) and also I struggle with black and white responses like these because I'm wishy washy like that. Also I think the N choices here in general are more attrractive sounding than the S choices (ie. "Create" generally has a more positive connotation than "Make" societally speaking) Nonetheless, my results:

Thanks for providing a link. When I tried inserting the link into my posts, Typology Central just said "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words." I think this is meant to be a deterrent against spam, and it's probably affecting my posts because I only recently joined this forum.

This is a test where, according to the official MBTI statistics, over 70% of takers came out with an S preference. Chances are the N results seem more interesting to you because you are an N yourself. I think the average S would be more concerned about practicality than what they perceive to be "head in the clouds" flights of fancy.

I see a forced choice test such as the MBTI as having its disadvantages as well as its advantages. On the one hand, it doesn't show the strength of a preference for a particular aspect of each dichotomy, meaning that a test taker could come out with strong P results, and yet only have a mild preference for most of their P responses. On the other hand, the items that made it onto the official test made it through a refined "screening process". Myers had devised thousands of test items, and when she tested them against a number of subjects, the ones which correlated the most strongly with their respective dichotomy preference were the ones that made it onto the test. Basically, the the items for dichotomies such as J/P were the ones with the highest responses among Js and Ps.

Here are your results.
I: 15, E: 6
N: 21, S: 3
T: 20, F: 1
P: 14, J: 7

I'd be interested in seeing your Step II responses; especially your J/P ones. How did you choose predominantly P answers, and yet see yourself as a J on the Step II?

Lines up too. I'll do the same thing Kray's doing.

I: 20 E: 1
N: 21 S 5
T: 22 F: 2
J: 19 P: 3

Your overall results indicate an INTJ type. Why do you type yourself as an INFP instead? Also, isn't 538 an unusual tritype for an INFP? It seems like something that would better describe an INTJ.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
@Shadow Play - I see you are a new user. You have perhaps come here to ask for feedback on your test, no?

One of my biggest criticisms is that you do not hide what letter the statement refers to. Sure, most people here already know what you are attempting to test, but newer people may not, yet still have some idea of what type they would "like" to be. You need to "blind" your test, for lack of a better term. Moreover, putting a way of tallying the scores so people don't have to manually count up 93 questions worth of results would be nice.

You may also consider placing future tests in this subforum: https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/forum43/

My results: ISFP

S 23 N 3
I 16 E 5
P 13 J 9
F 13 T 11

I do not feel as though I have P demeanor or attitude about myself, though I may act a bit as one because I do not have a rather strong J preference and I am not a naturally organized person.

Full results

Shadow Play

[MENTION=38365]Shadow Play[/MENTION] - I see you are a new user. You have perhaps come here to ask for feedback on your test, no?

One of my biggest criticisms is that you do not hide what letter the statement refers to. Sure, most people here already know what you are attempting to test, but newer people may not, yet still have some idea of what type they would "like" to be. You need to "blind" your test, for lack of a better term. Moreover, putting a way of tallying the scores so people don't have to manually count up 93 questions worth of results.

You may also consider placing future tests in this subforum: https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/forum43/

My results: ISFP

S 23 N 3
I 16 E 5
P 13 J 9
F 13 T 11

Full results

It's not my test; it's a copy of the official MBTI test. I'd prefer to link forum members to an online test version where they answer the questions, without knowing which question is asking for which dichotomy, and it shows up with the results showing dichotomy preferences. However, for anyone with a bit of MBTI knowledge, it should be fairly obvious which dichotomies the questions are asking for, so why hide them at all?

I'm not asking for feedback on the test. The purpose is to provide a tool with which to identify your dichotomy preferences, and I've created a thread specifically for the purpose of discussing results with takers, to go over any aspects of type with which they might have doubts.

Your results indicate an ISFP type overall, but both your F and P are borderline; F in particular. I'm inclined to go with ISfp.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
It's not my test; it's a copy of the official MBTI test.

Oh I see. I saw the user above stating that it didn't correspond to the actual MBTI test, so I assumed it was different.

I'd prefer to link forum members to an online test version where they answer the questions, without knowing which question is asking for which dichotomy, and it shows up with the results showing dichotomy preferences. However, for anyone with a bit of MBTI knowledge, it should be fairly obvious which dichotomies the questions are asking for, so why hide them at all?

More for the new users who are less knowledgeable, I would think.

I'm not asking for feedback on the test. The purpose is to provide a tool with which to identify your dichotomy preferences, and I've created a thread specifically for the purpose of discussing results with takers, to go over any aspects of type with which they might have doubts.

Ah I see. I have been mistaken then. My apologies.

At any rate, I edited my post above stating that I am likely more of a J type. But you do not have to feel the need to discuss this with me. I misconstrued the idea of the thread.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for providing a link. When I tried inserting the link into my posts, Typology Central just said "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words." I think this is meant to be a deterrent against spam, and it's probably affecting my posts because I only recently joined this forum.

This is a test where, according to the official MBTI statistics, over 70% of takers came out with an S preference. Chances are the N results seem more interesting to you because you are an N yourself. I think the average S would be more concerned about practicality than what they perceive to be "head in the clouds" flights of fancy.

I see a forced choice test such as the MBTI as having its disadvantages as well as its advantages. On the one hand, it doesn't show the strength of a preference for a particular aspect of each dichotomy, meaning that a test taker could come out with strong P results, and yet only have a mild preference for most of their P responses. On the other hand, the items that made it onto the official test made it through a refined "screening process". Myers had devised thousands of test items, and when she tested them against a number of subjects, the ones which correlated the most strongly with their respective dichotomy preference were the ones that made it onto the test. Basically, the the items for dichotomies such as J/P were the ones with the highest responses among Js and Ps.

Here are your results.
I: 15, E: 6
N: 21, S: 3
T: 20, F: 1
P: 14, J: 7
I figured. When I take dichtometry tests online, I typically score around that (typically IxTx, most commonly INTJ or ISTP). This test in particular seems to have resulted in slightly more polarized results than I typically get... Despite commonly getting T on tests, that ratio is quite a surprise.

I'd be interested in seeing your Step II responses; especially your J/P ones. How did you choose predominantly P answers, and yet see yourself as a J on the Step II?
Yeah, I was also surprised that I scored distinctly J on the facets as well, especially looking at the way I responded to these questions. I have a tendency to fall in the center on most of the dichotomies though (except for I) so idk

Here are my results I posted not so long ago (if you're curious as to where the 0.5s came from, those are the ones I forced myself to choose on where I scored confusingly towards the center):

If your curious about which facet descriptions I analyzed here in particular, I got them from this site: Descriptions of the MBTI Step II Facets (Though I've read more into them before)

Last edited:

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your overall results indicate an INTJ type. Why do you type yourself as an INFP instead? Also, isn't 538 an unusual tritype for an INFP? It seems like something that would better describe an INTJ.

I'm going between INTJ, INFJ, INFP.

I settled on INFJ (and was sure) but people on this forum gave me arguments for INTJ (because I used more Te and Fi, but most people can't really tell in what order), and someone gave me one for INFP. I have never considered INFP before because I never relate to them or the type overall, but their explanations were good enough for me to entertain it while learning more about it as well.

The problem with INFP is that functions wise, I have always related more to Ni-Se, but this is dichotomy and not functions.
That, and compared to other INFP, we are just so different.

The problem with INTJ is that I'm too passive / 'gentle' to be one, that, and I have trouble making long-term plans and sticking to them, but I'm not sure if that is due to life circumstances or if I'm just not INTJ. I definitely prefer to be more organized and among P types, I tend to be more organized than them- I can't live without a plan / schedule. Being spontaneous is stressing and I don't like changing plans once they have been made, if something needs to be done I prefer planning it in advance.

Stereotypically, I'm not a perfect fit for either of those three. Dichotomy-wise, I always get INTJ.

For enneagram, I am sure that is my tritype, of all the types, 5 fits me most, and of the heart and gut, I relate to 3 and 8 most, in that order.
I took this test to see if there could be any new perspectives / input offered from dichotomy typing, since I and the people typing me have always used functions.

Shadow Play

I figured. When I take dichtometry tests online, I typically score around that (typically IxTx, most commonly INTJ or ISTP). This test in particular seems to have resulted in slightly more polarized results than I typically get... Despite commonly getting T on tests, that ratio is quite a surprise.

Yeah, I was also surprised that I scored distinctly J on the facets as well, especially looking at the way I responded to these questions. I have a tendency to fall in the center on most of the dichotomies though (except for I) so idk

Here are my results I posted not so long ago (if you're curious as to where the 0.5s came from, those are the ones I forced myself to choose on where I scored confusingly towards the center):

If your curious about which facet descriptions I analyzed here in particular, I got them from this site: Descriptions of the MBTI Step II Facets (Though I've read more into them before)

I think you're more likely an INT than an INF, although the T could be on the mild side. Speaking from anecdotal experience, I often get mixed T/F signals out of female INTs; they seem to be as different from male Ts as they are from female Fs. Gender differences reflect in the distribution of T and F between genders, where approximately 76% of women test as F, while only 57% of men test as T. The only really confusing one is J/P. It's possible you're a P on a temperamental level, but you might've learned to adjust to a structured way of living and working in order to get ahead. I'm a P type, and although I may not instinctively feel that punctuality is that big a deal, I've learnt to develop a habit of arriving early to things because I know on a conscious level that lateness has consequences. Does that sound something like you, or does structure come more easily to you than that?

Have you taken Big Five personality tests before? If so, where do you come out on Conscientiousness?

I'm going between INTJ, INFJ, INFP.

I settled on INFJ (and was sure) but people on this forum gave me arguments for INTJ (because I used more Te and Fi, but most people can't really tell in what order), and someone gave me one for INFP. I have never considered INFP before because I never relate to them or the type overall, but their explanations were good enough for me to entertain it while learning more about it as well.

The problem with INFP is that functions wise, I have always related more to Ni-Se, but this is dichotomy and not functions.
That, and compared to other INFP, we are just so different.

The problem with INTJ is that I'm too passive / 'gentle' to be one, that, and I have trouble making long-term plans and sticking to them, but I'm not sure if that is due to life circumstances or if I'm just not INTJ. I definitely prefer to be more organized and among P types, I tend to be more organized than them- I can't live without a plan / schedule. Being spontaneous is stressing and I don't like changing plans once they have been made, if something needs to be done I prefer planning it in advance.

Stereotypically, I'm not a perfect fit for either of those three. Dichotomy-wise, I always get INTJ.

For enneagram, I am sure that is my tritype, of all the types, 5 fits me most, and of the heart and gut, I relate to 3 and 8 most, in that order.
I took this test to see if there could be any new perspectives / input offered from dichotomy typing, since I and the people typing me have always used functions.

You sound more like a J to me.

If you consistently test as INTJ with clear preferences for all dichotomies, there's a good chance you are an INTJ. I get that you might think otherwise if you approached your type using a different system, but from a strictly dichotomies-based viewpoint, I'm looking at someone who would show up as an INTJ if I was compiling test data.

I really do think 538 is a peculiar Enneagram type for an INFP; even moreso if the 5 is 5w6. With 5 running the show, you have a substantial amount of emotional detachment, while the 3 provides a competitive drive and the 8 a streak of assertiveness. I can't imagine an INFP identifying with that tritype, and such an INFP would be very much an exception rather than a general rule. Please note that I don't actually take Enneagrams seriously as a typology system, but I do think there are certain aspects of them which overlap with MBTI.

*****​

My suggestion for both of you is to go through the profiles for the four IN types on the site oddlydevelopedtypes. The profile descriptions are based primarily on statistical data, which would give you an idea of where your various traits and interests compare against the existing research. Again, I'd link you the site, but Typology Central doesn't seem to like newbies inserting links into posts.

Last edited:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My results:

J 14 P 8
S 4 N 23
E 9 I 12
F 21 T 2

So INFJ, according to this, but INFP descriptions fit me better.

Shadow Play

My results:

J 14 P 8
S 4 N 23
E 9 I 12
F 21 T 2

So INFJ, according to this, but INFP descriptions fit me better.

I'd say that INFJs and INFPs have more in common with each other on average than they do with any other type, so it would be quite natural for an INFJ to feel that they relate to a lot of INFP descriptions. So what exactly is it about INFP descriptions which you identify with better than INFJ ones?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say that INFJs and INFPs have more in common with each other on average than they do with any other type, so it would be quite natural for an INFJ to feel that they relate to a lot of INFP descriptions. So what exactly is it about INFP descriptions which you identify with better than INFJ ones?

Cognitive function wise I relate much more to Fi/Ne than Ni/Fe.

Difficulties in narrowing down options, taking a lot of time to consider, and an ungrounded dreaminess seem to point toward INFP.

I went to INFP Healer | Oddly Developed Types and INFJ Counselor | Oddly Developed Types to compare:

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think you're more likely an INT than an INF, although the T could be on the mild side. Speaking from anecdotal experience, I often get mixed T/F signals out of female INTs; they seem to be as different from male Ts as they are from female Fs. Gender differences reflect in the distribution of T and F between genders, where approximately 76% of women test as F, while only 57% of men test as T.
Mm I see, I guess that argument makes sense. Perhaps I should place a higher amount of consideration on the INT types than I have thus far

The only really confusing one is J/P. It's possible you're a P on a temperamental level, but you might've learned to adjust to a structured way of living and working in order to get ahead. I'm a P type, and although I may not instinctively feel that punctuality is that big a deal, I've learnt to develop a habit of arriving early to things because I know on a conscious level that lateness has consequences. Does that sound something like you, or does structure come more easily to you than that?
I think that would make more sense. I'm structured in the sense that I place timeliness and good work performance at a high enough priority to be mistaken as "conscientious," but realistically I've always struggled with organization and internal motivation. Additionally, during the brief period that I typed as a J type (INFJ), my ISTJ friend flat out laughed at the idea I was even considering a J type as a possibility. Based on family situation and adjustments I've had to make in my life, I think it's more probable that I'm an INxP than an INxJ.

Have you taken Big Five personality tests before? If so, where do you come out on Conscientiousness?
Mid to low. Typically my results range from 33-49 give or take.

My suggestion for both of you is to go through the profiles for the four IN types on the site oddlydevelopedtypes. The profile descriptions are based primarily on statistical data, which would give you an idea of where your various traits and interests compare against the existing research. Again, I'd link you the site, but Typology Central doesn't seem to like newbies inserting links into posts.
Took a peek through the listed types. None of them were really a perfect fit, though the description varied greatly in size from INT to INF so that might be why. A mix between INFP and INTP would probably fit decently, I don't think my T/F preference is a particularly strong one.

Shadow Play

Cognitive function wise I relate much more to Fi/Ne than Ni/Fe.

Difficulties in narrowing down options, taking a lot of time to consider, and an ungrounded dreaminess seem to point toward INFP.

I went to INFP Healer | Oddly Developed Types and INFJ Counselor | Oddly Developed Types to compare

As I noted before, I'd expect an INF to be able to relate to a substantial amount from both INFP and INFJ profiles, since there is a substantial amount of overlap between those two types. All the stuff you bolded in the INFJ profile was just as applicable to INFP, except I couldn't help but notice you didn't bold the following line: "As Judgers, they do make plans and set times and goals, but they avoid getting down to the real nitty gritty as the Guardians would." In contrast, the following excerpts you bolded in the INFP profile have a distinct P lean to them:

INFPs have a strong independent streak, which one might not guess from their desire for harmony. In fact, the top values that INFPs chose were "Home/family," then "Autonomy," then "Health," then "Friendships," then "Financial security" (Myers, McCaulley, Quenk & Hammer, 1998). (Money usually tends to fall near the end of INFP lists.) INFPs were also among the top types for "Autonomy" and "Creativity."

Between INFPs and INFJs, INFJs often have a stronger sense of community spirit. An INFJ will place greater emphasis on the common good, and on the importance of meeting others halfway through accepted social behaviours. INFPs, however, are more individualistic than that.

In addition, you also bolded the line describing financial security as less important for INFPs. Between Ps and Js, Ps tend to be more comfortable with splurging out, while Js not uncommonly feel anxious about their finances - often to the point of keeping a spreadsheet or saving up a nest egg in case of a rainy day. For many Js, a dollar saved is better than a dollar earned, since that's one more dollar they could spend further down the line. That's not to say a P couldn't learn the importance of saving, but Ps are more present oriented than that.

In areas other than personal values, INFPs are Perceivers to the core--messy, flexible, adaptable, open-minded and bound to neither timetables nor plans. Comfortable with improvising on the fly, INFPs deal well with the unexpected. It strongly depends on the nature of the unexpected for me. I don't deal well with the extremely stressful unexpected.

It's understandable if you don't deal well with the "extremely stressful unexpected," if you're referring to things such as freak accidents. Almost anyone of any type could be caught off guard by those sorts of occurrences. However, Js prefer to respond to the extremely stressful by forming contingency plans. By relying on a procedure, this allows them to go into autopilot instead of being forced to improvise in stressful situations. Are you the type who tends to fret over what could go wrong, or do you generally prefer to live and let live?

At any rate, you've emphasised that you prefer to be "bound to neither timetables nor plans," which gives me a stronger P lean.

I do find it peculiar that you came out with a (rather moderate) J preference in that test. Do you often test as an INFJ? And if you've taken Big Five personality tests, where do you tend to score on Conscientiousness?

Mm I see, I guess that argument makes sense. Perhaps I should place a higher amount of consideration on the INT types than I have thus far

I think that would make more sense. I'm structured in the sense that I place timeliness and good work performance at a high enough priority to be mistaken as "conscientious," but realistically I've always struggled with organization and internal motivation. Additionally, during the brief period that I typed as a J type (INFJ), my ISTJ friend flat out laughed at the idea I was even considering a J type as a possibility. Based on family situation and adjustments I've had to make in my life, I think it's more probable that I'm an INxP than an INxJ.

Mid to low. Typically my results range from 33-49 give or take.

Took a peek through the listed types. None of them were really a perfect fit, though the description varied greatly in size from INT to INF so that might be why. A mix between INFP and INTP would probably fit decently, I don't think my T/F preference is a particularly strong one.

Yeah, based on your test results and how you describe your issues with conscientiousness, I do see an INP typing for you. In addition to the way gender skews T/F, I also tend to think of T/F as something of a mixed bag of traits, as opposed to something that constitutes a single spectrum of preference. Thus, you could be more of a T on some facets, more of an F on others, and in the middle on the rest. Given the choice between T and F, I still get a mild T lean from you; I do see an INtP typing as a possibility. However, it's possible that your overall T and F traits balance out close enough to the middle where INxP is the best fit.

Also, T/F are often described in terms that convey a logic vs. values duality, which can be problematic considering almost anyone uses logic to inform decisions while also having things they value. A good way to distinguish T/F is to compare your preference with your Big Five preference for Agreeableness. Unlike T/F, Agreeableness describes the extent to which an individual has a personal or impersonal outlook towards their relations with others. Where do you tend to score on Agreeableness?

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

If it helps, here's by big 5.

I'll paste things I see relate to me from each NF type (the NT ones are short).
I must say though, from this site, I relate most to INTJ. I just am pretty nonconfrontational, but that's because I don't like dealing with people.

INFP

INFJ

EDIT: This wasn't to me, but to add, this does apply to me too;

However, Js prefer to respond to the extremely stressful by forming contingency plans. By relying on a procedure, this allows them to go into autopilot instead of being forced to improvise in stressful situations. Are you the type who tends to fret over what could go wrong, or do you generally prefer to live and let live?

Whatever spontaneity I do / seem to do is usually once I feel secure that the pitfalls are out / that I have resources to deal with them.
You took the words out of my brain. I basically autopilot based on a standardized approach that I or someone else have planned in advance.

Shadow Play

If it helps, here's by big 5.

I'll paste things I see relate to me from each NF type (the NT ones are short).
I must say though, from this site, I relate most to INTJ. I just am pretty nonconfrontational, but that's because I don't like dealing with people.

INFP

INFJ

EDIT: This wasn't to me, but to add, this does apply to me too;

Whatever spontaneity I do / seem to do is usually once I feel secure that the pitfalls are out / that I have resources to deal with them.
You took the words out of my brain. I basically autopilot based on a standardized approach that I or someone else have planned in advance.

Your Big Five results are consistent with an INJ typing. You are near the middle on Neuroticism, meaning neither the labels Calm nor Limbic would properly apply to you. Agreeableness is similarly towards the middle. Had you come out with a high score, that could've potentially cast doubt over your T typing, but with middle Agreeableness, you could really go either way. As much as I believe the MBTI dichotomies and Big Five factors are tapping into similar underlying temperaments, the overlap between them isn't entirely consistent. A fair number of Thinkers come out with clear T results in MBTI tests only to get middlish scores in its corresponding factor.

I will say you're atypical for an INTJ in the respect of being non-confrontational. Here's one thing I don't get; you type yourself as an 8 in your tritype, and yet you say you're non-confrontational? How do you reconcile that? Anyway, my point is MBTI is essentially a study of probabilities, not absolutes. No given trait is going to completely rule out a given type for anyone. So long as the wind blows in the general direction towards INTJ, that's not a bad place to look.

About the INFP excerpt you quoted, even though I think Anna Moss (who wrote the content on Oddly Developed Types) did a generally good job, that's one trait I consider to be less typical of the average INFP.

The first INFJ quote was basically an INJ trait in general. The other two had a slight F flavour to them, but not enough for me to reconsider your type.

That last quote further reinforces my J typing of you.

I'm still inclined to type you as an INTJ, and if I was to nominate a second-most-likely type, it would be INFJ.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, based on your test results and how you describe your issues with conscientiousness, I do see an INP typing for you. In addition to the way gender skews T/F, I also tend to think of T/F as something of a mixed bag of traits, as opposed to something that constitutes a single spectrum of preference. Thus, you could be more of a T on some facets, more of an F on others, and in the middle on the rest. Given the choice between T and F, I still get a mild T lean from you; I do see an INtP typing as a possibility. However, it's possible that your overall T and F traits balance out close enough to the middle where INxP is the best fit.

Also, T/F are often described in terms that convey a logic vs. values duality, which can be problematic considering almost anyone uses logic to inform decisions while also having things they value. A good way to distinguish T/F is to compare your preference with your Big Five preference for Agreeableness. Unlike T/F, Agreeableness describes the extent to which an individual has a personal or impersonal outlook towards their relations with others. Where do you tend to score on Agreeableness?
Mm I see. Agreeableness wise I'm typically inn the 45-65 range, with a slight skew towards being more agreeable:
View attachment 20778 This is the whole thing if it helps, this one seems to characterize my typical results pretty well.
I've always had difficulty figuring out if I fell on the F or T side of things. I've considered INtP heavily in the past though (both dichtometry wise and via the cognitive functions) and have gotten positive feedback with that, so it's definitely plausible. Dichotomy wise, I've always struggled most with the T/F axis (probably unreasonably). Could neuroticism also play a role in my confusion? High neuroticism typically leans more towards emotional reactivity anyhow which could be where I'm struggling.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You are near the middle on Neuroticism, meaning neither the labels Calm nor Limbic would properly apply to you.

What theory is this from? I would like to read it.

I will say you're atypical for an INTJ in the respect of being non-confrontational. Here's one thing I don't get; you type yourself as an 8 in your tritype, and yet you say you're non-confrontational? How do you reconcile that?

1) E8 is not just about conflict
2) I'm not non-confrontational in the sense of avoiding conflict to keep the peace
3) admittedly, looking at me and my motivations/actions in day-to-day, my gut influence is pretty weak

About being non-confrontational, it's more that I'm very selective. Compared to some people who confront on every little thing, I'm more capable of letting things slide if it's not actually something important (though this is learned behaviour). So compared to the average INTJ, I am pretty non-confrontational/easygoing (which is what made me consider INFJ).

It is said that E8 can't measure their strength- it's true. Once I come out I'm very candid and if the person I'm talking to is sensitive, I'll accidentally push them too hard. It results in way more broken pieces that I'm willing to pick up after the ordeal. I really hate dealing with that, so I'd rather not. Sometimes what is regular discussion to me can be perceived as an attack by a more sensitive person, even if I was just speaking as-is / am just wanting to solve something. I guess this can point against F for me in dichotomies because I'm usually pretty blind to the emotional impact of what I say / do.

About the INFP excerpt you quoted, even though I think Anna Moss (who wrote the content on Oddly Developed Types) did a generally good job, that's one trait I consider to be less typical of the average INFP.

Ahh. I generally don't relate to the profile / descriptions as a whole, but I particularly did not relate to that. It's what makes me struggle to type as an F/NF/Idealist.

The first INFJ quote was basically an INJ trait in general. The other two had a slight F flavour to them, but not enough for me to reconsider your type.
That last quote further reinforces my J typing of you.
I'm still inclined to type you as an INTJ, and if I was to nominate a second-most-likely type, it would be INFJ.

People note that there is an apparent gentleness to my presence/approach, and generally can't tell my T/F, especially online. While people naturally gravitate to me for that gentleness, it's more that they come to me rather than I go reach out and console them. It doesn't help that I'm actually a very dry / detached person, which is much more apparent in real life. This part does confuse me because it isn't INTJ-like at all, however, those who know me note I am detached/objective/unemotional, and I barely make emotional appeals (doesn't mean I can't, but it's barely laced with real emotion). I also place more focus in actually solving the problem than making them feel better, the latter is icky and I end up not knowing what to do.
About the artistic comments, I do work as an artist, and have artistic interests.

Generally speaking, I (and others) have had the most confusion with T/F for me. Maybe dichotomy wise, I'm a really nice T/F balanced INTJ, if that makes sense?
Also, strong Ts tend to see me as F, and strong Fs tend to see me as T.

Thank you for the observations & time with this.