0 0%
  • IV not listed

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

Thread: Type The Blob!

Enneagram
    853 sx/so

If the ability to measure probability was related to being a Ni-dominant, then most statisticians/mathematicians would be so, even academics, their number in world population is I assume higher than the INFJ's in the world. Let's also not forget about how few Ni-Dom's statistically are, speaking of that. INTP fits.
    "The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk."
    Likes RadicalDoubt liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by magnetica View Post
    If the ability to measure probability was related to being a Ni-dominant, then most statisticians/mathematicians would be so, even academics, their number in world population is I assume higher than the INFJ's in the world. Let's also not forget about how few Ni-Dom's statistically are, speaking of that. INTP fits.
    You're twisting language here. I wasn't talking about measuring probability the way a statistician would, I was speaking about someone making probabilistic statements in ordinary conversation, which as far as I am aware really is an Ni indicator. Note that it's just an indicator, it's not 100% or anything.

Enneagram
    853 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    You're twisting language here. I wasn't talking about measuring probability the way a statistician would, I was speaking about someone making probabilistic statements in ordinary conversation, which as far as I am aware really is an Ni indicator. Note that it's just an indicator, it's not 100% or anything.
    I am not twisting language. Did you ever hear of professional deformation? That thing would cause a statistician to use "probably" a lot, an engineer, as well. I am not seeing that in anyway you are backing that assumption of "Probability being a Ni indicator" with something, therefore the question of validity rests on your shoulders, not mine, speaking of that, I think, I have made my point in the previous post.

MBTI
    INFJ

I am not twisting language. Did you ever hear of professional deformation? That thing would cause a statistician to use "probably" a lot, an engineer, as well. I am not seeing that in anyway you are backing that assumption of "Probability being a Ni indicator" with something, therefore the question of validity rests on your shoulders, not mine, speaking of that, I think, I have made my point in the previous post.
    I've heard plenty of times that Ne looks at the different possibilities, whereas Ni narrows down on the most likely outcome, which would presumably give rise to using the term "probably" a fair bit.

I don't have the data to back that up, because pretty much no one does at this point, but if I go at it long enough I will be able to determine to what extent it is true. Maybe.

For now, all I can really do is go based on indicator terms and broad characterisations that best fit with a given function.

Enneagram
    853 sx/so

I've heard plenty of times that Ne looks at the different possibilities, whereas Ni narrows down on the most likely outcome, which would presumably give rise to using the term "probably" a fair bit.

I don't have the data to back that up, because pretty much no one does at this point, but if I go at it long enough I will be able to determine to what extent it is true. Maybe.

For now, all I can really do is go based on indicator terms and broad characterisations that best fit with a given function.
    Probability suggests an analysis of events done by thinking, not intuition, since there is a skeptical cut for it which hints at the use of Ti, instead of Ni. Ni is usually an unconscious function, it "knows" in almost an instinctive way, which overrides or rather disregards conscious analysis.

MBTI
    INFJ

Probability suggests an analysis of events done by thinking, not intuition, since there is a skeptical cut for it which hints at the use of Ti, instead of Ni. Ni is usually an unconscious function, it "knows" in almost an instinctive way, which overrides or rather disregards conscious analysis.
    What do you mean that Ni "knows"? Ni is always making guesses. Sometimes it makes very good guesses, but it doesn't tend to really "know" things does it?

A statement of probability in this case is not arrived at by logical analysis. It is just the mind making a guess as to how things would develop, and the individual has an understanding that that line of development may not be at all necessary, and is thus likely.

Maybe I also ask, while we're at it, why you type as an INTJ rather than an INFJ?

Enneagram
    853 sx/so

What do you mean that Ni "knows"? Ni is always making guesses. Sometimes it makes very good guesses, but it doesn't tend to really "know" things does it?

A statement of probability in this case is not arrived at by logical analysis. It is just the mind making a guess as to how things would develop, and the individual has an understanding that that line of development may not be at all necessary, and is thus likely.

Maybe I also ask, while we're at it, why you type as an INTJ rather than an INFJ?
    The point that I am making is that "Ni" knows, the user thinks that "Ni" knows, be it true or false, it is the truth of the "Ni" user until it is disproven. It also actually does tend to "know" things, if you were to investigate the matter of intuition a bit further.

"It is just the mind making a guess as to how things would develop, and the individual has an understanding that that line of development may not be at all necessary, and is thus likely."

The statement above can be a dictionary definition for logical analysis, but it's your choice.

Your last question is irrelevant to the topic at hand so I find no point in answering it, I'm sorry.

In fact, I think we are about to derail a user's typing thread via a debate on typology and functions, therefore this is going to be my final post in this thread. If you have furthermore questions or answers or arguments, don't hesitate to PM.

MBTI
    INFJ

The point that I am making is that "Ni" knows, the user thinks that "Ni" knows, be it true or false, it is the truth of the "Ni" user until it is disproven. It also actually does tend to "know" things, if you were to investigate the matter of intuition a bit further.

"It is just the mind making a guess as to how things would develop, and the individual has an understanding that that line of development may not be at all necessary, and is thus likely."

The statement above can be a dictionary definition for logical analysis, but it's your choice.

Your last question is irrelevant to the topic at hand so I find no point in answering it, I'm sorry.

In fact, I think we are about to derail a user's typing thread via a debate on typology and functions, therefore this is going to be my final post in this thread. If you have furthermore questions or answers or arguments, don't hesitate to PM.
    It seems like every function "knows" what it thinks it knows, then, I don't see the link to Ni. Not saying there is not link.

What I said may have been logical analysis of Ni, and every function is still likely to have other functions come into play with it, but stating something is "probably" the case I don't think is inherently logical.

I did just ask a question which you said there was no point to answering when you could have PM'd it, but ok.

Inactive For A Bit RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    613 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Don't mind me, I'm just procrastinating finals...

ALSO, does anyone see any other possibilities for my core type in enneagram/iv? I'm ok with 6w5 I think, but I was almost debating 9w1 core again... Even though fears wise I'm distinctly 1 > 9 in my mind...

1) What makes you angry?
    Lots of things makes me angry to be honest. I make my own self angry because I'm relatively cowardly and inhibited. I don't live up to my own expectations of what I want to be and what I know I should be, so I'm pretty often irritable about that. On a more common basis (if you're looking for when I'm outwardly angry), typically I get set off by lacking the ability to understand things or when small menial things are not going my way. I probably get irritated by not being able to understand things (specifically on my own) for some ego related reason probably.

2) What do you like/dislike most about people?
    I really don't like how self centered people are (even though that's very hypocritical coming from my mouth)and that people are majorly pleasure seeking. I also find it problematic that many people fall into the category of now paying attention to consequence and also blindly trusting either their own judgement or the judgement of a trusted few without enough skepticism. I also get very annoyed at the level of sentiment people have generally, although I'm pretty sure I shouldn't dislike that.

3) Do you like animals? why?
    Of course, with the exception of a select few. Generally, I find animals to be very interesting in general whether it relates to behavior or general traits. I can't really explain why, but being around animals in general (assuming I'm talking about the ones that are safe to be around) can be incredibly stimulating, probably because I find the majority of animals to be cute and exciting.

4) What do you like most about the favorite people in your life?

Some of my favorite people have really dry or sarcastically blunt sense of humor. They are grounding to me, which is nice because I am anything but. For my favorite person in general, I really admire their businesslike personality, as she is likely one of the most competent and hardworking people I have ever come across. She's organized, attentive to the needs of others, and pretty decent at both reading the environment and dealing with the emotions of others.

5) What do you like/dislike most about yourself?
    Like: I'm quite fond of my imagination and ability to visualize, since this is a really useful technique against being bored and also helpful when it comes to generating ideas and solving problems. I also really that I'm relatively self-controlled in comparison to others, which makes it incredibly easy for me to defy desires I don't like and push forward rather than dwell on my own pleasures.
    Dislike: I'm incredibly apathetic and I find it difficult to genuinely care about something or attach myself to things. I'm also kind of an indecisive and undetailic mess who tends to contemplate and doubt everything excessively, which is a huge hindrance in actually doing things and reaching judgement. Additionally I'm a massive coward who fear anything and is easily inhibited by their own ego and fears.

6) Do you care about being fashionable? why/why not?
    No, I've pretty much given up on that. I was never one to care much about physical presentation to begin with (there's far more important things to deal with and I don't have that much energy to begin with), which wasn't helpful at all since I generally seem to have no natural eye for fashion or aesthetics in general. I guess the only think I might pay attention to is color combinations when it comes to how I physically present myself, but otherwise I just go with whatever comes easiest.

7) Do you prefer to fit in or stand out?
    Whichever is necessary in the moment. I can't really stand either to be honest, I hate drawing attention to myself so standing out is uncomfortable. Additionally it also depends on how I'm standing out. Still, the idea of being "just like everyone else," despite that this isn't even as bad as people make it out to be, is somewhat repulsive. I don't like to merge into the totality of things, so fitting in seems to be just as bad as standing out. I tend to take on that awkward middle space where my presence is somewhat ghostly, but also weirdly memorable because of that.

8) What activities do you enjoy?
    I tend to really enjoy thinking in general as well as producing art (ie. Drawing, playing an instrument). A lot of time, doing these things is incredibly relaxing and can help me to find/regain focus. I'm also a big fan of hiking and walking, mostly because I'm a relatively energetic person and doing so is a nice way to consume time. Researching and completing tasks related to that can also be stimulating with the right subject.

9) What makes you feel secure?
    God I wish I knew. Probably having a sense of control , whether it be over my life or over my environment. Having people rely on me or trust in my judgement can also give me security, since that typically means I'm competent enough to be in control.

10) Do you like being in a relationship? why/why not?
    Not at all. Some of this probably has to do with me being relatively young, but I found that when I was in a relationship I became very insecure. It's difficult for me to understand relationships in general and how to function within one since I'm not naturally a warm and intimate person in most scenarios. I tend to feel a lot of guilt because I'm somewhat aloof and inexpressive of my feelings, which led my partner to insecurity. I also have a tendency to feel trapped by relationships, not sure why though.

11) What do you love and why? Could be people, things, places, etc...
    Love is a strong word and I'm not really sure I generally love anything at this point. I love specific family members of mine if that counts. I also really love to learn and the feeling that comes with having an understanding of things.

12) What do you spend the most time thinking about?
    I spend a lot of time playing with different ideas, story lines, and scenarios unrelated to myself. I tend to spend a lot of times trying to understand how things function and generalizing how certain concepts would function in different contexts. I also spend a lot of time thinking about my own health and why it is the away it is, but that's mostly because it's causing me problems at the moment.

13) How much have you changed over the years? Who were you as a child?
    My personality is almost unrecognizable. As a child, I was incredibly inquisitive and quick minded. Despite being incredibly solitary and stuck in my own mental musings (which is similar to how I am now actually), I was quick to speak up for others and was verbal about my judgement and ideas because I trusted in myself and in my mind. I was really good at solving problems and just as good at understanding and feeling compassion for others. I had a very strong sense of self and genuinely didn't care about identity in the slightest. On a more negative note, despite my curiosity of it, the outside world was difficult to deal with, which left me not being exploratory in the real world. I also trusted my own judgement too much, which left me vulnerable to reality when I relied that much of my worldview was purely subjectively composed and wrong (because I refused to actually get any data from the physical relm). Now I'm a lot more inhibited. My mind is typically more filled with the sludge of my thoughts, which makes it really difficult to think quickly or be inquisitive in the moment. I'm apathetic and have very little genuine care for others in terms of both compassion and relationship focus. On a more positive note though my time management is far better than it used to be and, despite my critical doubt, I've developed an ability to not trust myself completely and blindly.
    - 6w5 1w9 3w4 - sp/so - INTP -
    “My deplorable mania for analysis exhausts me. I doubt everything, even my doubt.” Gustave Flaubert

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1/3

@RooibosKrayfish

You now sound like the INTJs I've seen posting. Serious and focused and whatnot.

But then this is so typical Fe inferior according to descriptions:

Quote Originally Posted by RooibosKrayfish View Post
    10) Do you like being in a relationship? why/why not?
    Not at all. Some of this probably has to do with me being relatively young, but I found that when I was in a relationship I became very insecure. It's difficult for me to understand relationships in general and how to function within one since I'm not naturally a warm and intimate person in most scenarios. I tend to feel a lot of guilt because I'm somewhat aloof and inexpressive of my feelings, which led my partner to insecurity. I also have a tendency to feel trapped by relationships, not sure why though.
    But maybe I'm wrong, how do you relate to Se inferior?

I tend to spend a lot of times trying to understand how things function and generalizing how certain concepts would function in different contexts.
    Seems really Ti-Ne, but maybe someone will come in and argue for Ni-Te, lol. I thought Ti about generalising concepts, and Ne about the different contexts.

I also trusted my own judgement too much, which left me vulnerable to reality when I relied that much of my worldview was purely subjectively composed and wrong (because I refused to actually get any data from the physical relm).
    Yeah and now this kind of sounds Se inferior... but then you say you rely on your own judgment over the world, which would be Ti, not Ni.

Out of curiosity, can you give me an example of where you used your own judgment about reality that was wrong and left you vulnerable to actual reality?