• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which MBTI Type tends to excel at pure mathematics

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I always had an interest in "pure" mathematics relative to "applied." I just enjoyed solving proofs in a unique original way instead of resorting to sources of information to attain the answer. I liked how there were multiple ways to arrive at a sound conclusion. On one instance, I created a way to solve a typology problem prior to a midterm and ended up using it on the exam, which I knew was a risk. I also tried solving the "Goldbach conjecture" as a mathematics major, and spent an entire week trying to tackle it. My mom mentioned that I was very insensitive during that period. I never intended to be, however, I was very unaware of my environment at the time. I ended up creating some algorithm to solve for the set of all non-prime integers. I also created many "non practical" equations during that time, one of which was vedic multiplication. I do not intend to sound narcissistic via this post...I just want to emphasize my strengths. My weaknesses include poor attention to detail, lack of formatting research papers in the correct manner, lack of common sense, and indecisiveness. I believe if someone that has an interest in Mathematics coupled with an inquisitive mind, will sought after novel discoveries for its own sake. Utilizing creativity expends energy and can halt academic performance....hence, a lot of people who aren't inclined to use creativity will resort to conventional methods. Lately, I have been doubtful of my type...I always obtain "INTP" for my result, however, I am quite indecisive regarding my preferences. I have narrowed down the possibilities to either INTP, ISTP, or ISTJ. Also, I am quite adept at making predictions based on patterns/trends, and do tend to have emotional outbreaks at times. I can be "pessimistic" at times since I tend to analyze issues deeply...For instance, I believe the cosmetic industry is going to contribute to higher incidence of alcohol abuse and polygamy. I also tend to ignore females if they get emotionally "close" to me.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
ESTJs according to functions are best mathematicians but theory and reality are two different things. :)

I believe if someone that has an interest in Mathematics coupled with an inquisitive mind
Opposite. Realistic. :D

My weaknesses include poor attention to detail, lack of formatting research papers in the correct manner, lack of common sense, and indecisiveness.

ENFP. :)

I do not intend to sound narcissistic via this post...

Narcissistic ENFP --> ESFP :bye:

believe the cosmetic industry is going to contribute to higher incidence of alcohol abuse and polygamy.

:peepwall::fairy::saturned:

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Well, I don't really consider people's feelings, however, I can tell their emotions through their behavior patterns. I'm spend a lot of alone time internally thinking about an idea or theoretical problem to solve, especially for graduate research. I highly doubt I am a feeler....I have met feelers, and they tend to show thoughtfulness and empathy. Pure mathematics requires strong logic at it's core...it's very similar to philosophy although symbolic in its approach. Feelers could very well excel in pure mathematics but I do not know how you reasoned that an estp would be an ideal mathematician (maybe decent at practical math). All your conclusions are opinionated....I wanted a reasoned response. MBTI is a theory, hence, you cannot determine types be stating a narcissist is a sensor. I'm sure intuitive can be narcissists, especially cerebral narcissists.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well, I don't really consider people's feelings

ESFP is low empathetic people and can be high egocentric unlike ENFP. They also have high narcissistic view of themselves.
They also tend to shut down their Fi and go whatever is their mind and what they enjoy to do. So they practically use Se-Te branch instead Se-Fi. ;)

I'm sure intuitive can be narcissists, especially cerebral narcissists.

Yes ESFP's mirror INTJ :)

Temperament
IJ - Controlling logical (like Capricorn)
IP - Implosive emotional (like Scorpio)
EJ - Explosive emotional (like Leo)
EP - Shallow logical (like Gemini)

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
The esfp function stack is SE > FI > TE > NI.
I am definitely not Se dominant as I struggle to focus on visual details or minute details in the environment. I am constantly misplacing things such as keys, pens, exc. I rarely go out for sensation seeking. Also, I am very clumsy and never was adept at sports or hands on activity. Why do you state esfp without any logical basis aside from a few words that I mentioned such as "narcissist." Just because I mentioned it, doesn't imply that I am egocentric. I never get on social media such as Facebook, Instagram, or snap-chat. I never think anyone is less intellect than I am or see myself as superior in any regard. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and intelligence is not quantifiable. It is composed of many facets, and everyone displays a unique subset of the broader range of intelligence as a whole.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Lack of organization inf Si or inf Ni.

Te is obvious but I don't want to mention it.

ENFP.

believe the cosmetic industry is going to contribute to higher incidence of alcohol abuse and polygamy.

:fairy::bunnyglee:

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I don't know, maybe you're correct about esfp. My strongest skill in terms of research is pattern recognition, or finding patterns within data to create predictions. I do have various weaknesses, namely, taking forever to compile a text and poor social skills.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have no idea about the trends, but the best at it i can think of meeting was an istp...

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
hmm maybe...Although I am not skilled with mechanical work or fixing things, which I know are just stereotypes. I was more drawn towards theory than practical matters, which contradicts Se secondary. I will note that my worst subject in college was mineralogy where we had to identify minerals within a rock. I could not focus on the small details competently relative to others, and I failed miserably on the lab exam. I was also horrible with anatomy where we had to identify the names of dissected organs. I can, however, come up with multiple ideas that follow a realistic approach. For instance, I want to study the convective effects of wind on a heated concrete slab. I know that wind is never sustained in reality, and rather follows a random scattered function. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that it would be useful to study the rebound effect of wind. That is, apply wind directed towards the slab according to a frequency. By altering the frequency, a rebound map can be created to possibly predict the steady-state temperature within a heated slab exposed to wind within a range. I think I utilize Te since I use data to deductively make an assumption or arrive at a conclusion. One thing I noticed that when I write technical reports, I find inconsistencies in my logic multiple times and have to constantly send my adviser updates.

rav3n

ESFP is low empathetic people and can be high egocentric unlike ENFP. They also have high narcissistic view of themselves.
They also tend to shut down their Fi and go whatever is their mind and what they enjoy to do. So they practically use Se-Te branch instead Se-Fi. ;)

Yes ESFP's mirror INTJ :)

Temperament
IJ - Controlling logical (like Capricorn)
IP - Implosive emotional (like Scorpio)
EJ - Explosive emotional (like Leo)
EP - Shallow logical (like Gemini)
Where are you pulling the descriptions for the temperaments from since they don't align with the description from the four temperaments?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
i have no idea about the trends, but the best at it i can think of meeting was an istp...

Why do you suspect ISTP? If that's true, perhaps my Ti overrides Se, cause I don't think I exhibit Se much, if at all. I have friends who use "snap-chat" daily and are always experiencing the pleasures of the world. I'm quite the opposite, meaning I spent a lot of my time on the internet reading forums. One of my brothers friends is an "ISTP", and he told me once that I need to "live in the moment." Also, I used to work with him, and he worked quietly yet efficiently whereas I spent most of my time talking about physiology. So, my head was "in the clouds," causing me to lose awareness of my surroundings, especially when facing shelves.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Where are you pulling the descriptions for the temperaments from since they don't align with the description from the four temperaments?

This is not Kirsey temperaments but original.

Original four temperaments are IJ IP EJ EP not NT NF SP SJ and they are based on cognitive functions not some invented BS.

IJ - Lack of perceptual knowledge -> act LOGICAL -> logic control over emotions (aux Te , ter Ti)
IP - Lack of tribal knowledge -> act EMOTIONAL -> IMPLOSIVE -> flooding of emotions devour their ego (dom Fi, inf Fe)
EJ - Lack of self knowledge -> act EMOTIONAL -> EXPLOSIVE -> what is in the mind set is on action (dom Te , inf Ti)
EP - Lack of organize knowledge -> act LOGICAL -> logic coexist in harmony with emotions (aux Fi, ter Fe)

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
If I have this correctly, wouldn't dominate/secondary Se manifest as a desire to outwardly experience the world through the senses....so, someone with Se at the upper level of their stack would be more in sync with reality and exhibit an improved mind-body connection relative to those with Se at the base level. Could someone with dominant or secondary Se be poor at finding physical items and exhibit an inability to navigate effectively? Maybe if the dominant function is used excessively, the other function would be masked and hence, the other functions will be disproportionately utilized.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you suspect ISTP? If that's true, perhaps my Ti overrides Se, cause I don't think I exhibit Se much, if at all. I have friends who use "snap-chat" daily and are always experiencing the pleasures of the world. I'm quite the opposite, meaning I spent a lot of my time on the internet reading forums. One of my brothers friends is an "ISTP", and he told me once that I need to "live in the moment." Also, I used to work with him, and he worked quietly yet efficiently whereas I spent most of my time talking about physiology. So, my head was "in the clouds," causing me to lose awareness of my surroundings, especially when facing shelves.

what, i suspect is that you interpreted what i said as more than an anecdotal observation... i suspect that was the individuals type because of their behavior...

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
i suspect is that you interpreted what i said as more than an anecdotal observation... i suspect that was the individuals type because of their behavior...

No, I just wanted proof of your claim. I would just take it as a "grain of salt" since typing someone needs more substance. Now, the way to differentiate INTP from ISTP is through the secondary function SE vs. NE. Also, I suppose their inferior functions (FE) manifest in different ways...perhaps ISTP's are more physical when reacting to emotions due to Se, but this won't always be the case. Also, it may be atypical for an ISTP to be drawn to pure mathematics as apposed to applied since Se is driven to outwardly experience the physical realm. Hence , it would be likely that ISTP's wouldn't work on pure mathematics problems for weeks on end, without getting bored and wanted to experience the pleasures the world has to offer. I spend one total month solving all problems for my intro to proofs and logic course as an undergrad due to interest...would this behavior be typical for ISTP's? I'm sure their are exceptions...hence, it's best to focus on the function stack.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I just wanted proof of your claim. I would just take it as a "grain of salt" since typing someone needs more substance. Now, the way to differentiate INTP from ISTP is through the secondary function SE vs. NE. Also, I suppose their inferior functions (FE) manifest in different ways...perhaps ISTP's are more physical when reacting to emotions due to Se, but this won't always be the case. Also, it may be atypical for an ISTP to be drawn to pure mathematics as apposed to applied since Se is driven to outwardly experience the physical realm. Hence , it would be likely that ISTP's wouldn't work on pure mathematics problems for weeks on end, without getting bored and wanted to experience the pleasures the world has to offer. I spend one total month solving all problems for my intro to proofs and logic course as an undergrad due to interest...would this behavior be typical for ISTP's? I'm sure their are exceptions...hence, it's best to focus on the function stack.

there is no proof that this person was the best at math (regardless of variety) of anyone i met or that they were an istp... i don't have documentation of every person i have met, and if i did have such documentation it would likely be difficult to prove i hadn't falsified it... it was a simple observation from my own life that isn't built on evidence i can demonstrate...

post script:

if you wanted me to take you step by step through how i typed them, i could save you some effort by saying i am uninterested in doing so at this time...

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
there is no proof that this person was the best at math (refardless of variety) of anyone i met or that they were an istp... i don't have documentation of every person i have met, and if i did have such documentation it would likely be difficult to prove i hadn't falsified it... it was a simple observation from my own life that isn't built on evidence i can demonstrate...

Ok, the question definitely needs to be reworded. I agree there exist no type most proficient at math...The point I was trying to make was whether certain types would be drawn to theoretical (pure) math relative to others, not whether they are more proficient at it. Although proficiently is directly proportional to interest since memory retention is directly proportional to interest. What I want you to explain is why my Se > NE. From my experience, "true" INTP would really enjoy arguing theoretical matters with an open mind whereas a "true" ISTP wouldn't delve as deeply into the matter, and would want to get out occasionally to feed Se.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, the question definitely needs to be reworded. I agree there exist no type most proficient at math...The point I was trying to make was whether certain types would be drawn to theoretical (pure) math relative to others, not whether they are more proficient at it. Although proficiently is directly proportional to interest since memory retention is directly proportional to interest. What I want you to explain is why my Se > NE.

i have no opinion on what your type is... i am inclined to take your word for what your type is because you know yourself, and i don't know you at all...

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
i have no opinion on what your type is... i am inclined to take your word for what your type is because you know yourself, and i don't know you at all...

Yes, although I do know myself...I still have doubts regarding me type. I have recently got into the theory, so I do not have the knowledge base to come to a consensus accurately. Also, there is subjective bias regarding the types...hence, the test is not always indicative. Some people associate "intuition" with higher IQ relative to "sensors," so of course, they will be more likely to be typed as intuitive. There's also an bias between T and F in terms of one's ego. For instance, if F is deemed as a weakness for person A, then they will be more likely to be typed as T. Also, some associate intellect with grades...I could prove them wrong with the following:

Suppose a subset of the population was taken such that person x1,x2,....,xn < P exhibits equal intellect capacity ( where P = global population). Define a function f(t, S) where t = time of studying, S = severity of negative trait, and f(t) corresponds to grades. Further, apply a negative trait to the subset such that it does not disturb intellect. For instance, depression is a negative trait that disturbed intellect (lowers cognition) whereas ADD is a negative trait that does not disturb intellect. It will follow that if you apply these negative traits individually on the degree of severity axis, then grades will be reduced in proportion to the severity. Hence, there will be a scattered function meaning the correlation is weak.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
You could easily be an INTP, but I found I have more of a love for pure mathematics as an ENFP than my INTP Dad does, maybe because I'm more focused on finding the deeper why.

What drove you to do all the proofs and enjoy it. Was it about knowing things or seeing a clearer reality? Or just because you could, lol. What did you feel the reward was?