• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which MBTI Type tends to excel at pure mathematics

rav3n

This is not Kirsey temperaments but original.

Original four temperaments are IJ IP EJ EP not NT NF SP SJ and they are based on cognitive functions not some invented BS.

IJ - Lack of perceptual knowledge -> act LOGICAL -> logic control over emotions (aux Te , ter Ti)
IP - Lack of tribal knowledge -> act EMOTIONAL -> IMPLOSIVE -> flooding of emotions devour their ego (dom Fi, inf Fe)
EJ - Lack of self knowledge -> act EMOTIONAL -> EXPLOSIVE -> what is in the mind set is on action (dom Te , inf Ti)
EP - Lack of organize knowledge -> act LOGICAL -> logic coexist in harmony with emotions (aux Fi, ter Fe)
Do you have a citation of what you're basing the four 'original' temperaments from? I'm genuinely curious since I didn't have Kiersey in mind, moreso the Four Temperaments theory that was created by Hippocrates which bears no resemblance to what you've been stating.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
:peepwall::fairy::saturned:[/QUOTE]

You could easily be an INTP, but I found I have more of a love for pure mathematics as an ENFP than my INTP Dad does, maybe because I'm more focused on finding the deeper why.

What drove you to do all the proofs and enjoy it. Was it about knowing things or seeing a clearer reality? Or just because you could, lol. What did you feel the reward was?

Ok, the reason I pursued Mathematics was because my calculus 1 teacher got me interested. She was very energetic and interested in the subject matter, which translated to me. I ended up updating my major from Geology with a minor in Math to a double major in Math and Geology after being intrigued by sequences and series (calculus 2). I would consider myself more of a divergent thinker initially. I often would write a four page proof where only a few paragraphs were required. I never liked solving a proof by copying or relating past material....I would rather solve it creatively. The main reward in regards to working on proofs was to find an original solution. First, I would come up with an idea on how to solve the proof and follow the road til hopefully I reach the destination. If I was sidetracked along the way or hit a dead end, I would hypothesize another solution and continue the process til the conclusion is reached. I also enjoyed finding patterns in numbers and developing a formula by induction. Also, I solved problems for the sake of exploring, not to see a clearer reality.
I also have a few issues that may be related to my inferior function:
- I leave piles of clothes on the floor and continually forget to do laundry.
- I am often told (by my Mom) that I need to clip my nails due to negligence
- I tend to be oblivious to physical changes...for instance, not knowing if someone got a new haircut or any alteration in a home.
- I have periods of emotional sensitivity.
- I continually make the same errors in reports (formatting wise).
- I dislike rules and procedures at work.
-I cannot stand having too many material possessions.
- When I was under stress (past), I was a hypochondriac and suffered OCD.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Do you have a citation of what you're basing the four 'original' temperaments from? I'm genuinely curious since I didn't have Kiersey in mind, moreso the Four Temperaments theory that was created by Hippocrates which bears no resemblance to what you've been stating.

Temperaments are based on first and last function

Te = Fe (objective J) -> their feeling, their logic... (structure and ethics)
Ti = Fi (subjective J) -> my feeling, my logic... (morality and logic)
Ni= Si (subjective P) -> inner perception of world (imagination and impression)
Ne = Se (objective P) -> outer perception of world (abstraction and realism)

We are not talking about Choleric, Melancholic etc. ;)

rav3n

Temperaments are based on first and last function

Te = Fe (objective J) -> their feeling, their logic...
Ti = Fi (subjective J) -> my feeling, my logic...
Ni= Si (subjective P) -> inner perception of world (imagination and impression)
Ne = Se (objective P) -> outer perception of world (abstraction and realism)

We are not talking about Choleric, Melancholic etc. ;)
Where did you get this 'theory' from, hence asking you to provide a citation.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Where did you get this 'theory' from, hence asking you to provide a citation.

I think there is a tread on this forum about Je Pe etc. You know Tribe , Self etc... You should find it.

Also Jung classified Ti and Fi as same functions but with different approach judging things (personal and impersonal). For example according to Jung they are both living in fantasy world while Fe and Te are realistic (objective) oriented.

rav3n

I think there is a tread on this forum about Je Pe etc. You know Tribe , Self etc... You should find it.

Also Jung classified Ti and Fi as same functions but with different approach judging things (personal and impersonal). For example according to Jung they are both living in fantasy world while Fe and Te are realistic (objective) oriented.
So it's self-created. That's all I needed to know and would explain why EJ = explosive since EJs aren't all explosive or even all ENTJs since objective logic is our first orientation where explosiveness wouldn't be the result of our first orientation, albeit might be the emotional byproduct of Fi value violations which wouldn't be often and if it's not often, then it can't be used as an overall description. Analogous, calling INTPs and ISTPs super social because of their inferior Fe. It doesn't compute.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
So it's self-created. That's all I needed to know and would explain why EJ = explosive since EJs aren't all explosive or even all ENTJs since objective logic is our first orientation where explosiveness wouldn't be the result of our first orientation, albeit might be the emotional byproduct of Fi value violations which wouldn't be often and if it's not often, then it can't be used as an overall description. Analogous, calling INTPs and ISTPs super social because of their inferior Fe. It doesn't compute.

Te is emotional explosive because of inf Fi. Hell out, ExxJ are high tempered person LOL! ENTJs are definition of Choleric temperament! Type 8 is definition of dom Te and calling type 8 not explosive... :shock:

No. It doesn't work in that way! inf Fe is sensitive to world like dom Fi. inf Fe is literately sensitives to emotional needs of tribe. ;)

Our latest function attack us constantly so when inf Fi or inf Ti (self functions) attack us we literally loose our control.
Why? Because of pride (inf Ti) or because of emotions (inf Fi) it is doesn't matter when inferior attack nothing can control it, not even us. :D

And finally if ExxJ are not explosives i.e. stand to their point of view, pushing their point of view as absolute we won't be The Leaders. Nobody will follow us. Instead we would go to people like ExxP to get leadership. :D

rav3n

Te is emotional explosive because of inf Fi. Hell out, ExxJ are high tempered person LOL! ENTJs are definition of Choleric temperament! Type 8 is definition of dom Te and calling type 8 not explosive... :shock:

No. It doesn't work in that way! inf Fe is sensitive to world like dom Fi. inf Fe is literately sensitives to emotional needs of tribe. ;)

Our latest function attack us constantly so when inf Fi or inf Ti (self functions) attack us we literally loose our control.
Why? Because of pride (inf Ti) or because of emotions (inf Fi) it is doesn't matter when inferior attack nothing can control it, not even us. :D

And finally if ExxJ are not explosives i.e. stand to their point of view, pushing their point of view as absolute we won't be The Leaders. Nobody will follow us. Instead we would go to people like ExxP to get leadership. :D
This chart should explain things to you, relative to how each of the EJs clump in enneagram type. Clearly, enneatype twos are uber explosive. :dry:

8cdbabb8baf6d483.jpg

Attachments

• 8cdbabb8baf6d483.jpg
    8cdbabb8baf6d483.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 118

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
This chart should explain things to you, relative to how each of the EJs clump in enneagram type. Clearly, enneatype twos are uber explosive. :dry:

This is irrelevant.

dom Fe = emotional expression to world , bring emotions to world...

Attack pride of dom Fe (their objective logical deduction) and see what is going to happen!

Emotions are not flowers and rainbows lol. :D

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
If I have it correct, inferior Fi would inwardly suppress emotions and hence, be seen as cold or unaffectionate. If under immense stress, inferior Fi would manifest like a volcanic eruption (since it was inwardly repressed for some time). Inferior Fe would manifest as being sensitive to other people's emotional intensity...If under immense stress, someone with inferior Fe may be overcome with a surge of emotion that causes one to be left in a sea of fog. Also, from my experience, inferior Fi coupled with Te leads to the need to correct relational strain whereas Inferior Fe coupled with Ti leads to confusion. I also would assume inferior Fe outbursts occur more frequently yet less intensely than an inferior Fi surge in negative emotion. I'm pulling this "out of my @ss, so I may be wrong...

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
f under immense stress, someone with inferior Fe may be overcome with a surge of emotion that causes one to be left in a sea of fog

No. They will leave person.

If under immense stress, inferior Fi would manifest like a volcanic eruption

Yes.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
No. They will leave person.

Ok, that makes sense....inferior Fe would be more impulsive since the anger tends to be an immediate response and didn't require much contemplation.

No. Anger has nothing with it. Anger is just consequence. It is like wound for knife. But lacking understating of Fi. Fi is the Knife. :blush:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Stereotypically INTP lands with interest and excels in pure theoretical science

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Stereotypically INTP lands with interest and excels in pure theoretical science

Yeah, the key word is "stereotypically," as there will exist sensor's and intuitive's in pure science. I'm still stuck whether I am ISTP or INTP. I do remember, however, that I was very interested in poetry back in HS English. I liked to make analogies to relate two unrelated things....For instance, I would relate a volcano to anger or fog to confusion, exc. Also, I am currently working on a research project with the intent to De-ice bridges using a Hydronic Geothermal System. Compared to the other students, my research is atypical in the sense that I do not perform literature reviews prior to tackling a specific task. I devise my own methodology/experiments to prove the underlying concept that I would initially propose. To do that, I need to look at data to find patterns/relationships and form conclusions or theories to explain the results. The other students will read previous works so that they can form a valid conclusion whereas I rarely cite sources with exception to an introductory paragraph. Now, the way I go about research has disadvantages that I'm aware of....clearly, my conclusions may not be so sound since I may be lacking substance (citations). I just enjoy the creative aspect and independence to seek novel solutions rather than replicate solutions.

rav3n

This is irrelevant.

dom Fe = emotional expression to world , bring emotions to world...

Attack pride of dom Fe (their objective logical deduction) and see what is going to happen!

Emotions are not flowers and rainbows lol. :D
This can be applied to any type. Attack anyone's weakness and they'll get angry. To add to this, relative to your post about needing to be explosive for people to follow, it too isn't a logical follow through aka it's a non sequitur.

Anyways, carry on with your beliefs since logic doesn't appear to impact on it.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
This can be applied to any type. Attack anyone's weakness and they'll get angry. To add to this, relative to your post about needing to be explosive for people to follow, it too isn't a logical follow through aka it's a non sequitur.

Anyways, carry on with your beliefs since logic doesn't appear to impact on it.

No. You think emotions never apply to your judgment but it is wrong. ETJ invest a lot of emotions, what they do, what they believe etc
You are complete don't understand how Extroverted Thinking works as supreme (dominate) function. We actually use our emotional state as a tool to push our judgement as RIGHT! We are HIGH-TEMPERAMENT persons!
Jung says also that Extroverted Thinkers are confident and open in expressing their emotions (like Fe) but unlike them they appear as kind, cold, detached and withdraw to others. ;)

René

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well actually I as an INFP was very good at maths in school and gave private lessons to classmates in maths. And I loved to do some nerdy stuff, like using WinPlot to draw pictures, putting in formulas and choosing the graph colours. But when I started studying maths at the university, I was all like "Damn where the numbers at?" and changed to sociology.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Well actually I as an INFP was very good at maths in school and gave private lessons to classmates in maths. And I loved to do some nerdy stuff, like using WinPlot to draw pictures, putting in formulas and choosing the graph colours. But when I started studying maths at the university, I was all like "Damn where the numbers at?" and changed to sociology.

From what I've observed, INFP's tend to enjoy music and art....mathematics is an "art" in a creative aspect relative to the cut and dry method of following a step-by-step process to solve an equation. I enjoyed "Real Analysis", especially when it came to sequences and series because there were multiple paths to take to conclude whether a function is converging or diverging. One of my good friends (InFP) says he has ADD, but believe "ADD" is linked to divergent thinking....INFP's would be particularly susceptible because their mind tends to wonder off in space...hence, the stereotype "head in the clouds." Thus, it would make sense that academics is structured for convergent thinkers, especially today since a higher population implies more rigidity. It would be very difficult to grade multiple papers if teachers stressed the use of creativity because that would waste more time. I've noticed that a lot of teachers prefer hw to be structured a certain way and also create the hw in such a way that students can easily refer to notes/handouts to obtain answer...so, there's less curve balls because most teachers/TA's don't have the patience for grading multiple papers. Academics is also becoming easier over time for that reason....hence, why tests are so similar to hw (= easy grading).

Metis

I always had an interest in "pure" mathematics relative to "applied."

Going by subjects people thought I was gifted at when I was a kid, I'm good at math. If I concentrated on it, I could probably excel in it. I'd rather spend as little time on it as possible, though. If I do math, it isn't for its own sake or the fascination and enjoyment of it, with a few exceptions. (One exception, if you consider it doing math, is that I have a logic puzzle magazine like the ones my dad would buy for me when I was little. I solve some of the puzzles, rarely, for the leisurely challenge and the nostalgia.) If I do math, I prefer to be either solving a tangible problem with it, or using it to increase my understanding of phenomena. I don't do it to appreciate the beauty that some people find in it for its own sake.