• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

8 year old (FSJ?) and Extroversion vs. Introversion

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am guessing my 8 year old might be a SFJ, although I know it's kind of early to be able to tell anything for sure. I just was wondering about something.

A couple of years ago, he was homeschooled and didn't really have any friends, and when I would take him somewhere to meet people, like a play group or a tee ball team, he would literally cry and run away. He was so painfully shy that he would not speak when spoken to by a stranger, to the point of being rude.

I put him in school, and now he loves other kids. Not only does he enjoy his friends at school, but everywhere we go, such as the beach or the playground, he will make new friends and be very "outgoing." He can play alone at home but would always prefer to be with someone else.

So I am wondering if maybe he is an extrovert who just used to be really shy and unhealthy because he hadn't been properly exposed to other children. I typically find that extroverts are quick to say hello to others and enthusiastic about meeting new people. I am just wondering if any of these things can be used as an indicator of whether he is extroverted or introverted. What other indicators would you look for?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
ISFJs can be fairly ambiverted types- and once they are familiar with people they tend to easily make friends. Lots of times shyness can be a confidence issue- but hecause their Si dominance- practice makes progress for sure.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As Frosty said, ISFJs can come off as very ambiverted depending on the individual.

Kids also change a lot as they grow up. Introverts are not always shy and extroverts can be reserved too. It could depend on comfort and experiences. With Si, he may feel more comfortable the more experience he has had with such situations since he has gained more of a sense of how they typically work.

Personally, I went through periods of extroverted and introverted behavior during childhood. I can imagine others going through something similar as well.

Stepan

Does he mainly initiate things (like conversations, etc) or wait for people to come to him? Is he more more comfortable with initializing or responding to things? For example he might be outgoing or talk a lot, but only when someone else initiates or asks him a question. Or is it more the other way around where he takes more of an initiative? That doesn't necesseraly have to mean that he talks a lot or is outgoing. In case of the former he is probably more of an Introvert, in case of the latter more of an extravert.

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Does he mainly initiate things (like conversations, etc) or wait for people to come to him? Is he more more comfortable with initializing or responding to things? For example he might be outgoing or talk a lot, but only when someone else initiates or asks him a question. Or is it more the other way around where he takes more of an initiative? That doesn't necesseraly have to mean that he talks a lot or is outgoing. In case of the former he is probably more of an Introvert, in case of the latter more of an extravert.

That's a good question and I'm not sure, so I will pay attention to that.