• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differentiating INFP and ISFP

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In case you were trying to decide between the two types.

Differences between ISFP/INFP : mbti

My apologies if this isn’t the right place to post this! I just found it to be extremely helpful and wanted to share it.

Hah. I wish I could be more normal. It's not like I had it easy growing up either and still have major difficulties with reality. I would think the e4 variety would greatly alter this.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Neat. I think I lean towards INFP than ISFP based on this.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Overall I think I have more of the ISFP characteristics listed in the article. Most especially, I don't readily articulate anything, and am not at all verbose. I don't expound upon any of my philosophies or beliefs verbally, and probably am actually unable to. You'll never catch me talking/articulating something for more than like.. maybe 30 seconds at a time max, and what's much more common is my just giving one or two sentence responses/ just commenting on things; contrast with people who can talk for 10-20 minutes straight and are very good at verbalizing all of the nuances of their thoughts/views.

elizabethmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would definitely say I am more INFP, but not completely sure. In response to the comment above, I express myself all the time while writing, but I actually find it difficult to verbalize my thoughts out loud. So I think INFPs, on the whole, aren't great orators either, but we love to express our beliefs creatively through writing, or by sharing our them online on forums like these :)

Also-

1. In terms of music, sounds and textures are nice, but what truly lets me fall in love with a song is I can connect to the lyrics or the message the artist is trying to send through the lyrics. If I can relate to a message in a song, deep down in my heart, I truly love it. I like to internalize lyrics and apply them to my own life/perspective.
2. hmmm...I am actually interested in paranormal/fantasy books and elements to quite an extent, so not sure about that. From the fantasy novels I read, I enjoyed them, but they aren't my favorite genre.
3. Yes I believe I have tert Si: I keep a journal to catalog, capture and carry my deepest emotions/thoughts/feelings. Writing out my feelings is my favorite way of coping through them.
4. I honestly don't have that much sexual energy but I do plan on staying celibate until marriage, it is one of my core values.
5. I'm more drawn to liberal arts and psychology where I can connect with other people and inspire them to see the potential in their lives.
6. Lol, I don't think I have any Se, I'm not healthy at all. I never work out and never focus on eating healthy. And I fail to "see my body as an extension of myself", I mainly just focus on my mind and my soul.
'
Overall, I think I'm more INFP than ISFP. Thoughts?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I've found ISFPs to often have other worldly creativity. They are one of the few types where it seems to just come out of thin air.

When it comes to art Fi Se Ni is basically a royal flush.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would definitely say I am more INFP, but not completely sure. In response to the comment above, I express myself all the time while writing, but I actually find it difficult to verbalize my thoughts out loud. So I think INFPs, on the whole, aren't great orators either, but we love to express our beliefs creatively through writing, or by sharing our them online on forums like these :)

Also-

1. In terms of music, sounds and textures are nice, but what truly lets me fall in love with a song is I can connect to the lyrics or the message the artist is trying to send through the lyrics. If I can relate to a message in a song, deep down in my heart, I truly love it. I like to internalize lyrics and apply them to my own life/perspective.
2. hmmm...I am actually interested in paranormal/fantasy books and elements to quite an extent, so not sure about that. From the fantasy novels I read, I enjoyed them, but they aren't my favorite genre.
3. Yes I believe I have tert Si: I keep a journal to catalog, capture and carry my deepest emotions/thoughts/feelings. Writing out my feelings is my favorite way of coping through them.
4. I honestly don't have that much sexual energy but I do plan on staying celibate until marriage, it is one of my core values.
5. I'm more drawn to liberal arts and psychology where I can connect with other people and inspire them to see the potential in their lives.
6. Lol, I don't think I have any Se, I'm not healthy at all. I never work out and never focus on eating healthy. And I fail to "see my body as an extension of myself", I mainly just focus on my mind and my soul.
'
Overall, I think I'm more INFP than ISFP. Thoughts?

I don't really follow the stereotypes/trends and don't think it's easy to type most people (especially with just a short list of items) so can't comment on whether you are infp or isfp (meaning: Based on everything I've written on here, half of the stuff I write doesn't 'seem isfp'. So I could look through your list and say all of it fits more of the stereotype of x or y, but that doesn't necessarily mean you ARE x or y) - someone else will have to make that call. ;)

Re articulating thoughts/beliefs, I'm actually very good at it via writing; it's just the verbalizing that doesn't translate for me / I'm not able to gather my thoughts fast enough or verbalize them in a complete way. I often think though that this is moreso tied to introversion (ie I think ALL introverts prefer writing vs speaking) -- however, like I said in the first post I wrote in this thread, it can be really really common for INFx's to talk nonstop for long lengths of time, assuming they're with someone they like and trust. I'm sure not all INFx's have this ability, but I do think it's more of a trend for INFx's vs ISFx's -- at least when it comes to what I'll term 'weightier' subjects.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I often think though that this is moreso tied to introversion (ie I think ALL introverts prefer writing vs speaking) -- however, like I said in the first post I wrote in this thread, it can be really really common for INFx's to talk nonstop for long lengths of time, assuming they're with someone they like and trust. I'm sure not all INFx's have this ability, but I do think it's more of a trend for INFx's vs ISFx's -- at least when it comes to what I'll term 'weightier' subjects.

It's because of Ne that INFPs can shift into this mode of fast and flowing speech and you'll see them do this often during conversations because, alike all introverts, they tend to rely on their auxiliary function in most social interaction, but during conversations that stimulate Fi they struggle to find their words. Se isn't as verbal a function as Ne so you won't see as extreme a shift in ISFPs.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's because of Ne that INFPs can shift into this mode of fast and flowing speech and you'll see them do this often during conversations because, alike all introverts, they tend to rely on their auxiliary function in most social interaction, but during conversations that stimulate Fi they struggle to find their words. Se isn't as verbal a function as Ne so you won't see as extreme a shift in ISFPs.

Oh goodness... and when you get into a conversation with someone else riding that Ne train, it can be so good...

elizabethmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, I think if I'm with someone I like and trust, I will speak for a long time, especially if we share common interests/values (for instance, MBTI). I have almost no friends, however, so I rarely have the chance to have lengthy discussions, and I'm only 16 and most of my friends only speak about "shallow" subjects or school related topics. So I haven't really had the chance to have many in-depth conversations, to be honest. I do love to have philosphical/deeper conversations with my mom about the lessons I have learned, my experiences, and my feelings however. But on the whole, writing online provides me with more opportunities to share my values, insights, and beliefs. I know that when I do write, I have a lot so. My thoughts while overflow as I write them out, and I can go on and on and on if I am interested in a subject or if it concerns my values.

Sigh. I truly long for friends to share my deepest thoughts and heart with. I feel so lonely and misunderstood. I just wish I could find someone who understands me and is interested in being friends with me, someone who is a truly loyal, intelligent, and compassionate friend. I wish I could pour out my feelings and have them validated. It feels like a hole in my heart that waits to be fulfilled.

From all of the posts I have written in the past, (I have written on Reddit and Quora), most people generally agree that I am INFP over ISFP. Here is my Reddit post if you're interested in reading it: ISFP or INFP? : mbti

I don't know, I'm just really confused. Would you mind reading my "type me" post and giving me your opinion on my type? It would be much appreciated!

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I think if I'm with someone I like and trust, I will speak for a long time, especially if we share common interests/values (for instance, MBTI). I have almost no friends, however, so I rarely have the chance to have lengthy discussions, and I'm only 16 and most of my friends only speak about "shallow" subjects or school related topics. So I haven't really had the chance to have many in-depth conversations, to be honest. I do love to have philosphical/deeper conversations with my mom about the lessons I have learned, my experiences, and my feelings however. But on the whole, writing online provides me with more opportunities to share my values, insights, and beliefs. I know that when I do write, I have a lot so. My thoughts while overflow as I write them out, and I can go on and on and on if I am interested in a subject or if it concerns my values.

Sigh. I truly long for friends to share my deepest thoughts and heart with. I feel so lonely and misunderstood. I just wish I could find someone who understands me and is interested in being friends with me, someone who is a truly loyal, intelligent, and compassionate friend. I wish I could pour out my feelings and have them validated. It feels like a hole in my heart that waits to be fulfilled.

From all of the posts I have written in the past, (I have written on Reddit and Quora), most people generally agree that I am INFP over ISFP. Here is my Reddit post if you're interested in reading it: ISFP or INFP? : mbti

I don't know, I'm just really confused. Would you mind reading my "type me" post and giving me your opinion on my type? It would be much appreciated!

I don't get the feeling of Ne/Si from you. Your use of words (my soul, cultivation, potential, etc) and focus on spirituality strikes as much more Se/Ni than Ne/Si.

elizabethmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Interesting. Yes, I do have a very deep spiritual focus. But I still think that I am a Si user, because I do tend to reflect on my past all the time.

Here's an example: four years ago, I hurt my friend deeply. We were going into seventh grade, and we attended a summer camp together. When I confronted her, she expressed that she thought I was a horrible friend. That experience replayed in my mind for years. I kept replaying the situation in my head, and kept feeling horrible about it. I had dreams about the friend and stayed up crying, years after the experience. Finally, last week I wrote an entire email explaining about how sorry I was and how I never wished any pain to her, and that I wished I could take it all away. I told her that she was truly beautiful and I had no right to act so wrongly. She was shocked, because it had been years since we had really even spoken.

I'm very nostalgic. I love to reflect upon memories of Christmastime in my youth when I used to feel so happy and joyful and my heart was full of love. I also have fond memories of the moments my mother and I had together when I was young when we had heart-to-hearts and would make up stories with each other on our walks.

I also am very good at memorizing words quickly. The day before a vocab test, I usually study the definitions, synonyms, and antonyms before. The memory just locks in my mind, and I have always scored an A on the tests.

INFP just resonates with me. I can't really express it. I just know that I'm an Fi user, because I experience emotions so deeply and internally. I also never really focus on my surroundings, so I guess I could possibly be an inferior Se user, but definitely not auxiliary Se.
I think that I have ne as well, but it's just underdevloped. I love to write on the Notes app on my phone and to keep writing constant ideas I get for my stories. When writing a story, also, I don;t really have a specific purpose, I simply start writing and keep building up ideas, moving on randomly as I go. It's a very enjoyable process for me. Once, when my family attended a Barbecue, I sat in a corner and just wrote ideas on my phone all day and got so absorbed until my Fe mom snatched the phone from me and forced me to socialize, lol.

I guess INFJ could be a possibility, but I think that I'm too awkward and cold/reserved in front of strangers to be an Fe user.

Edit: I also just randomly remembered a moment when, in the first grade, we lined of for music class and watched a documentary on penguins. It showed two penguins mating, and the whole class laughed at that point XD. During that time, there were black signs on the wall with multi-colored words, some bolded and bigger than others, with inspiraional messages that I kept on reading. I also remembered another time in music class when it was pajama day and I wore a silk nightie to school. I noticed that, while singing, most people tapped their feet from back to front, while I tapped it from front to back, which was strange.

I just get random flashbacks from years ago and vividly remember details of what I was wearing, where I was, what I was doing, etc. I think this is Si because I'm not always focused on what is going on in the present moment and have been extremely clumsy/unathletic since childhood. In fact, once, when I was in second grade, I spilled chocolate milk all over the cafeteria table while I was distracted. The janitor remarked that I was so clumsy and I remember feeling deeply offended at the time.

elizabethmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Also, these were the results on the cognitive functions test that I just took: Personality Results – Typology Central Jung Personality Test

I think I have well-developed Ni for an INFP, because of my spirituality. But I am still definitely a Si user, I don't see the Se in me at all. I love to recognize messages from my past experiences and to learn from them so that I can personally grow into a kinder person.

A major of religion is entrusting God with your future and following the footsteps that he paved for you. I believe that as Christians, we all have the purpose of inspiring light and love in the lives of every individual. Before I truly developed my spiritual relationships, I did not focus on "cultivation" or "purpose" as much as I do, in fact, I really that I had no "purpose" in life. I thought there were too many possibilities in the future. I didn't know what to do. When I surrendered my struggles to God, I felt him tell me that he has created me for a purpose in this life, that I am 100% beautiful and that I am made for a reason. I don't know this exact reason, but I know that I was made to do great things.

As an INFP Christian, I related a lot to this article: INFP - Compassionate Visionary. - Godly Personalities

I am very much an idealist and want to make a difference in the lives of people who are hurting, who are wounded inside, who are bleeding for help. I really want to life people up and to make a change in this world, to add light where there is so much darkness. I want to heal, to inspire, to love. And although I feel misunderstood and awkward, I have an intense passion that flames in my heart to do so, especially children. And I'm crying as I'm writing this because I know what it feels like to feel so wounded and hurt and alone as a child because I experienced anxiety and bullying myself when I was a child. No child deserves to feel that pain, they need to be encouraged to be who they are and to embrace their individuality. I want to help children who feel that internal pain, to revive their joy. I want to show them just how wonderful and special they are without feeling like they are worthless, because that was a deep-rooted insecurity that I struggled with and still struggle with. My own personal experiences drive me to do so, because I empathize with those that feel misunderstood, I place their hearts in mine. Not only by healing others spiritually will I help them grow, but I can grow as an individual and truly gain insight about the world, and I thirst for that. I thirst to understand all people, all perspectives, and to spread compassion. For these reasons, I think that I am an NF type.

elizabethmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hi guys, sorry for posting so much in this thread. I noticed something interesting. [MENTION=35569]notmyapples[/MENTION], you said that my use of words pointed to Se/Ni. However, looking at one of my old Quora posts (Elizabeth Rose's answer to What are INFP teenagers like? - Quora), I did not actually use any of those words. In the time lapsed between now and then, I have attended multiple religious retreats with talks that have focused on the cultivation, soul, and potential, which really shaped my view of the world differently. Perhaps that is why I write in that way now?

Let me know what you think.

Now I feel really weird, like my personality has changed. I know that's theoretically impossible, but I never used to have that mindset until recently (I never focused that much on religion, cultivation, or potential. )

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Hi. First of all, :hug:

For a % of people, high school ends up being their 'glory days', when they're at their happiest, at the summit of their existence and they really thrive in that environment. This % looks back at high school very fondly and will always be nostalgic about it.

For a larger % of people (probably), high school sucks ass and it's something they never want to relive. It is a really challenging period for almost everyone, with social dynamics really taking hold, people trying to find their identities and places in the world.

fwiw I found most people very 'shallow' as well, and therefore I withdrew and was pretty much a loner in junior/high school. I didn't find really true and lasting friendships until college and beyond. I don't think not relating and finding most people 'shallow' and unrelatable has much to do with N/S -- though it's probably the single-most common reason someone would identify as an N. I think being 'shallow' vs 'not shallow' has more to do with a persons' values, interests, intelligence, or maturity.

Re your personality 'changing', every new experience and new bit of info that we accumulate, every person we interact with, might shift our perceptions about the world, our values, or ourselves -- and being 16, you have a lot of new experiences ahead of you. I've changed my views on things many times over the years, sometimes I'm more 'intellectual' than other times, etc etc, it just depends on where I'm at in life.

If you identify as INFP, then roll with it. Maybe in 5 years you'll realize you identify more strongly with something else. Good luck!

elizabethmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hi :hug:

Thanks for the comment. I actually wasn't correlating "shallow" with N/S at all. It's just that I've never really had conversations with others about our interests, values, thoughts on society, etc. That's why I'm not really sure if I would speak a lot, or have trouble communicating. It was in response to the comment about ISFPs having trouble verbalizing their thoughts as opposed to INFx types.

But thank you :)

elizabethmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been evaluating my personality. I guess the reasons that I think I'm an INFP (for now) is that I love to analyze the meaning behind things and to try to come up with different meanings and symbols behind literature and art. I also like to try and see beneath the surface of different people. Abstract theories and ideas really interest me. Those all sound like Ne, but now that I think about it, maybe I use Ni. I definitely do think I could have a "purpose" in life, although I'm not exactly sure what it is right now
so for now, yes, I identify as INFP, but who knows?

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs care about the integrity of the idea, ISFPs care about how something tastes.