• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please help me determine my type!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I think you are too warm and personal to be an INTP,
so you can scratch that off the list.
*ducks for cover as INTPs start gathering ammo* :peepwall:

+1
No ammo. You speaks the truth.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I do that too!
You must be an INTJ! :devil:
I just looked at the dark arts book... promise. I don't remember a thing about summoning demons... honest!!

Iz good boy. Iz INTP. I no bad nough to be J!!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Perhaps it's not an INTP thing or an INTJ thing, but an NT thing.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Perhaps it's not an INTP thing or an INTJ thing, but an NT thing.
Bingo. Same as the bit about saying you look fat in that dress as some kind of friendly gesture :newwink:

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
I would've typed as a definite P. Certainly not a J, and that because of your activities... I mean, I don't think that a J would "waste" his/her time digging for dinosaur bones in the yard.
And probably, a J would've known what his/her B.A degree will be.
Of course, these are just supositions, but I am convinced you are INTP. Maybe ISTP.

B

beyondaurora

Forget letters, read some type descriptions and see what you relate to more.

I've read these descriptions before, and it's so frustrating because I can see aspects of myself in all of them.

Here are the statements that I relate to most within the following Introverted, Perceiving (since an IP type seems to be the general consensus) type descriptions:

ISFP
Probably I’m the happiest when things are just a little different everyday. I don’t want to commit to any particular way to be. I want to be able to be a lot of ways. Most people don’t understand there’s a lot going on inside.

I’m reserved when I first meet people, but I am friendly, warm, and outgoing once I’ve gotten to know someone. I really enjoy listening to people, hearing other people’s stories and learning about them.

I ask a lot of questions and like the challenge of recognizing where people are coming from and why they might be coming from that perspective. I love the give and take of conversations. I really feel thrilled and excited learning from that intellectual energy combined with that emotional energy.

I have a lot of interests and I can get interested in one thing, and then something else comes along and that looks fascinating. I enjoy using the skills that I do have.

My nature is when things get to a crunch, I’ll make something happen that will make it all right. I just know that I can do that and will do that.

But part of me shivers if someone tells me their expectations of me, even if they’re expectations I have for myself. I need the freedom to be able to change my mind or direction. I like to get a feel for what they’re looking for and then just make it happen and hope they enjoy it.

It’s whatever moves me at the time.

I like recognition. It’s very important to get complimented soon after an accomplishment. If something goes unnoticed or unrewarded, it doesn’t have the immediate impact that I want.

You might say I’m a perfectionist. I want people to be impressed with my performance. I don’t want anyone to be unhappy with my performance so I continue to perform…

ISTP
Inside I am continually reworking an issue. I am constantly open to new directions, always tweaking and bringing in new information.

In my work, I don’t want to be just doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff. I like to accomplish things—make a contribution.

Those times that I have to use my heart, it drives me crazy because I’m looking for things in clear-cut answers. I have a hard time agreeing that other people look at things completely differently. People should think things through.

I rarely work on one thing at a time. I get an idea and chase it down. I’m always studying—not just books but looking at what interests me.

But when I have too much time I tend to just pick away at things. I am really much better when there is a deadline.

I look at the world as a place to enjoy. I like things to smell good, taste good, look and feel good.

I have no desire to be with people when I don’t know anybody.

I like flexibility in what I do. Fun means something that interests me.

I’ve always found ways to make things fun. It’s a game to make sure you can come to the next point where you have freedom again.

INFP
I like harmony and seek consensus. My values and the things that are important to me often feel outside the mainstream in the sense that I feel impinged upon and uncomfortable with so much of what goes on.

And I like to discuss or write things because I seem to have a lot in my head and I’ve got to get it out. I love bringing together different eclectic ideas and seeing what’s similar. I like to have my own ideas, hear others ideas, and have ideas challenged, bantering back and forth.

Motivation comes when something has real meaning or value for me, and while I enjoy ideas I don’t like having my values challenged.

I enjoy talking to people. It’s interesting to learn about them, where they’re coming from and how they invent their reality.

I tend to form impressions right away about people.

[It really puts me off] when someone doesn’t honor, or accept as valid, my communication or feeling as I try to talk to them about something that matters to me.

INTP
I want to know the truth and get down to the bottom of things. I want to bring everything that can be known into understanding a problem or situation.

I am interested in developing new skills and trying new ideas with those skills.

I have a penchant for clarity.

I don’t like sloppy thinking, waste, and redundancy, and I am uncomfortable with sending out something that isn’t as good as it can be, but it has to go out anyway.

I like to avoid conflict at all possible costs, but if it reaches a point where I can’t go anywhere unless this gets resolved, then I will jump in and take care of it.

I can be seen as… too quick to start into work with not enough basis laid out for the day.

I tend to try solving personal problems all by myself.

I believe there must be an answer or a solution if I can just figure it out.

Here are the main issues I have:

INTP: Statements such as, "...theorizing constantly about how things work", and "...not knowing everything there is to know with insufficient time to learn everything that is important". The truth is, I generally don't care to know how everything in the world works, and if I do want to learn about a particular subject, it's never to the point of expertise. I'm much more interested and successful in strategizing on how to succeed with as little effort as possible. Additionally, I want to research the things I'm interested in, at the moment I'm interested in them, and move on to the next thing.

INFP: Statements such as, "I enjoy seeing people enjoy who they are, and I get a lot of joy helping others discover that they have value. Being able to help someone in their darkest hour...". No way, not me. I more the types who likes to help people solve problems with the resources and knowledge I have (ex., "I know this guy who does this or that", "Here's a website that you might find interesting", "Have you ever considered taking the MBTI", etc.). And none of this sappy stuff. In fact, I'm made fun of in my family for my lack of affection. They've coined the phrase "a [Beyondaurora] hug" to illustrate a hug where the two people come together keeping at least 6 inches between their bodies and give a light tap on the other's back. : )

ISTP: Statements such as, "I step back outside of things, think for a while, and make adjustments—could this be better than that, how do these react, and how does the whole system go together?", " I solve a problem by looking at all the angles, probably whatever side I need to.", and " I can be quick with the verbal comeback—I like the impact."And I’m very competitive". I'm not so sure that I wrap my mind around all the angles of an issue. I don't feel that I have the talent for that. In fact, if someone asked me to look at all the angles of an issue, I think I would feel unintelligent and unable to adequately do so. And again, as I said regarding INTP, I don't really care how something works. And to be honest, I have very little patience. And there is no way I'm quick with the verbal comeback; I generally think of the comeback hours after the initial statement was made! : )

ISFP: Statements such as, "In my mind, I am peacefully assimilating myself to a lot of different situations, flowing easily between them all.", "I carry through with my commitments and I’m a very responsible person.", "When I am angry I get quiet. Others don’t know though, that’s the problem. Because it’s not an external, visible reaction—it’s more passive, turned inward. I’m trying to think it through to figure a way to get my point across so they understand because I wouldn’t want to attack somebody. That’s something about me, that noncommunication, or withdrawal.". First of all, with regard to the statement about anger, this statement is only true when I'm at work or with someone I don't know. I am very ready to express myself when I'm angry with family members. I'll "communicate" until they see it my way or are smart enough to say they see it my way! Regarding "peacefully assimilating myself to a lot of different situations...", again my family would have to disagree. I am generally not seen as easy-going and am viewed as being rather opinionated. However, I feel that in situations outside my family this sounds like me. Regarding keeping commitments, I'm ashamedly not so good with that. I can be a bit of a flake, yet I have an extreme sense of duty when it comes to my family and work, and I'd be there in a heartbeat if an emergency arose.

Okay, another novel - sorry. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The incredible level of indecision totally rules out INTP, and likely ISTP.

My money's down to IxFP, with $1 more on INFP.

B

beyondaurora

I know, it's embarrassing! At this moment I feel completely incompetent when it comes to understanding myself.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'll take that bet.
She's ISFP.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know, it's embarrassing! At this moment I feel completely incompetent when it comes to understanding myself.

hmm....lack of Ti, yet natural display of Te(as i said before)

ISFP ?

Se would explain alot
and tertiary Ni should be taken into account

ygolo

My termites win
You're an introvert. That's about all I can determine so far. Does that make sense to you?

It seems like the other dichotomies are unclear. And getting directly at the archetype is hard.

So we can try different models:

Interaction Style:
Interaction Styles

Which of the interaction styles fits you best?
(only the introverted ones are listed below)

Chart-the-Course™(Drive to get a desired result)
The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this style focus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.

Behind-the-Scenes™(Drive to get an integrated result)
The theme is getting the best result possible. People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.

Temperament
Temperament Theory
Which of the four temperaments describes you best?

Catalyst™ Temperament . . .
(Diplomatic Skill Set)
Want to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic. Search for identity, meaning, and significance. Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships. Tend to be idealistic and visionary, wanting to make the world a better place. Look to the future. Trust their intuition, imagination, and impressions. Focus on developing potential, fostering and facilitating growth through coaching, teaching, counseling, and communicating. Generally are enthusiastic. Think in terms of integration and similarities and look for universals. Often are gifted in the use of metaphors to bridge different perspectives. Usually are diplomatic. Frequently are drawn to work that inspires and develops people and relationships.

Stabilizer™ Temperament . . .
(Logistical Skill Set)
Want to fit in, to have membership. Hunger for responsibility, accountability, and predictability. Tend to be generous, to serve, and to do their duty. Establish and maintain institutions and standard operating procedures. Tend to protect and preserve, to stand guard and warn. Look to the past and tradition. Foster enculturation with ceremonies and rules. Trust contracts and authority. Want security and stability. Think in terms of what is conventional, comparisons, associations, and discrete elements. Generally are serious, concerned, and fatalistic. Usually are skilled at ensuring that things, information, and people are in the right place, in the right amounts, in the right quality, at the right time. Frequently gravitate toward business and commerce.

Theorist™ Temperament . . .
(Strategic Skill Set)
Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve mastery. Seek expertise to understand how the world and things in it work. Are theory oriented. See everything as conditional and relative. Are oriented to the infinite. Trust logic and reason. Want to have a rationale for everything. Are skeptical. Think in terms of differences, delineating categories, definitions, structures, and functions. Hunger for precision, especially in thought and language. Usually are skilled at long-range planning, inventing, designing, and defining. Generally are calm. Foster individualism. Frequently gravitate toward technology and the sciences. Tend to be well suited for engineering and devising strategy, whether in the social sciences or physical sciences.

Improviser™ Temperament . . .
(Tactical Skill Set)
Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact, to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive. Generally are excited and optimistic. Are absorbed in the action of the moment. Are oriented toward the present. Seek adventure and stimulation. Hunger for spontaneity. Trust impulses, luck, and their ability to solve any problem they run into. Think in terms of variation. Have a talent for noticing and describing rich detail, constantly seeking relevant information. Like freedom to move, festivities, and games. Tend to be natural negotiators. Seize opportunities. Usually are gifted tacticians, deciding the best move to make in the moment, the expedient action to take. Are frequently drawn to all kinds of work that requires variation on a theme.

Cognative Processes
Which cognitive process describes you best?
Cognitive Processes / Cognitive Dynamics
(only the introverted ones are listed below)

Si - introverted Sensing
Reviewing past experiences; “what is” evoking “what was”; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been.

Ni - introverted iNtuiting
Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing “what will be”; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols.

Ti - introverted Thinking
Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision.

Fi - introverted Feeling
Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I am 95% sure you're IxFx.

MBTT is based on comparing ourselves to other people.
I used to think I was observant, which would have made me an "S". That is, until I met my ISTP husband. Then I realized, "Oh! THAT'S what they mean by "observant!"
My husband eavesdrops on other people's conversations in restaurants.
My husband knows the color of the bridge downtown.
He notices the names and orders of all the stores on Main St.
He knows which of our neighbors take their dogs for walks.
He looks at the people inside the cars that we meet on the road.
THAT is S.

I do not do that.
I don't want to do that.
That would exhaust me.
And if I did actually make the effort, I would probably forget it all rather quickly.
He does this all effortlessly.

I take in the big picture.
I read between the lines.
I think about underlying motives and hidden connections.
I can't tell you exactly word for word what somebody said, but I can tell you the gist of it, or tell you what they meant by what they said.

If it's not too personal, why did you emancipate yourself? What motivated you or pushed you to do it? Cause I'm a little surprised an FP would do that.
Aurora, I have described the S and N dichotomies in pretty good detail here. Would you say that you are as observant as my husband, or would you say you are more like me?

B

beyondaurora

Aurora, I have described the S and N dichotomies in pretty good detail here. Would you say that you are as observant as my husband, or would you say you are more like me?

INTJMom, I apologize for the delayed response. To be honest, distinguishing between whether I'm an S or N type has been especially difficult for me. Maybe this is telling in of itself, but I when I read how you describe yourself as an N type (taking in the big picture, reading between the lines, and thinking about underlying motives and hidden connections), I find myself saying, "give me examples!".

What I can tell you is this...

Although my house is a disaster and I live with three people, I can locate a misplaced item faster than anyone (even if the item isn't mine). I'm also the fastest to find a particular movie or book at the store, and I, without trying, find typographical errors in anything and everything. I've also found more hairs in my food over my lifetime than I care to think about.

Generally it's things like my aptitude for language and music or my idealistic visions for the world that make me consider myself to be an N type. But then I point out to myself that, with regard to language, I love the structure of words and sentences, spelling and grammatical rules, but I despised my college literature class, particularly the aspect that called upon me to interpret the meaning of a passage or metaphor. I also remind myself that I can barely read music, choosing rather to play by ear and compose short pieces reflecting what I'm feeling at the moment.

I have to also consider the fact that I'm quick to spot patterns and similarities (again, as in language, such as patterns within the structure of a particular language or similarities between two separate languages) and use my knowledge of unrelated subjects to understand something new.

I do not understand very well the differences between the eight cognitive functions, but I suspect that they might hold the key to pinning down my type.

What are your thoughts?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
INTJMom, I apologize for the delayed response. To be honest, distinguishing between whether I'm an S or N type has been especially difficult for me. Maybe this is telling in of itself, but I when I read how you describe yourself as an N type (taking in the big picture, reading between the lines, and thinking about underlying motives and hidden connections), I find myself saying, "give me examples!".

What I can tell you is this...

Although my house is a disaster and I live with three people, I can locate a misplaced item faster than anyone (even if the item isn't mine). I'm also the fastest to find a particular movie or book at the store, and I, without trying, find typographical errors in anything and everything. I've also found more hairs in my food over my lifetime than I care to think about.

Generally it's things like my aptitude for language and music or my idealistic visions for the world that make me consider myself to be an N type. But then I point out to myself that, with regard to language, I love the structure of words and sentences, spelling and grammatical rules, but I despised my college literature class, particularly the aspect that called upon me to interpret the meaning of a passage or metaphor. I also remind myself that I can barely read music, choosing rather to play by ear and compose short pieces reflecting what I'm feeling at the moment.

I have to also consider the fact that I'm quick to spot patterns and similarities (again, as in language, such as patterns within the structure of a particular language or similarities between two separate languages) and use my knowledge of unrelated subjects to understand something new.

I do not understand very well the differences between the eight cognitive functions, but I suspect that they might hold the key to pinning down my type.

What are your thoughts?
What did you feel/think when you read the description of the manifestation of my husband's "S"?