• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or ISFP?

Amethyst14

Hello,
I've been reading about cognitive functions for a little while now and I suspect that I'm (probably) one of these two types, but however much research I do I'm still struggling to see which is the most likely option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reasons I might be an ISFP

• I enjoy nature and travelling a lot. I get bored really quickly if I'm stuck at home and have to be out in the world 'seeing' something.
  • I often struggle to see possibilities or ways out of a situation - I'm prone to feeling 'trapped' in the present moment and unable to escape or find solutions.
  • When I analyse literature I like to come up with one coherent theory that explains the entire book. (Ni?)
  • I can misinterpret people and become slightly paranoid or convince myself people are being malicious when my conclusions aren't based in reality. (Fi-Ni loop?)
  • I'm not sure if I think about the 'big questions' all the time. On one hand, I really enjoy considering things like the interplay between society and the individual, the concept of individual moral responsibility vs societal responsibility, the idea of social conditioning. But I'm less interested in the meaning of life - I think about it and what the point of everything is but that often leaves me feeling depressed so I try to avoid it.
  • I like crafts - especially making jewellery, which is quite delicate.
  • My career plans haven't changed since a very young age.
  • Can get strong 'feelings' based on my physical environment - a strong association between a particular place and a way of feeling based on past experience which is triggered when I'm in that place. (Though that could be Si)
  • Good at reacting quickly and calmly in emergency situations.

Reasons I might be an INFP

• I create elaborate fantasy worlds in my head, often to explore moral questions I have about society and the world around me. Questioning 'if this happened, what would be the outcome' and then analysing it from a moral standpoint, but with lots of characters and often a touch of science fiction/magic content. I feel very connected to these characters.
  • I often feel like I belong in a different world - either one of my own fantasies or a particular tv programme. I find reality can be comparatively dull sometimes.
  • I sometimes play with imaginary scenarios when I meet people. In a relationship I imagine way into the future, even when I'm meeting or watching new people I rehearse the conversation and imagine how it could go and what might be said. I imagine a whole series of imaginary events and conversations in great detail, basically. These are rarely accurate predictions of what really happens.
  • I'm terrible at sports, hate learning things by doing them (why do a science experiment if you can read about it instead) and am generally not keen on practical things in most ways (except some craft activities). Can't draw or sculpt. Good at writing and poetry but struggle with perfectionism and my work not matching my expectations.
  • I love literature and analysing metaphors, hidden meanings and symbolism. I find complex analysis thrilling and am accused of forgetting to talk about the basics or the factual details in favour of a 'big theory'. Like to find an original and unexplored viewpoint, to deviate from the established argument.
  • I often create bizarre metaphors when I'm talking- I once described my memory of disagreements as like a haystack in that I couldn't remember individual disagreements (pieces of hay) but had an idea of the overall volume and size of my disagreements with somebody.
  • Have ideas for potential enterprises or projects and feel deflated when they are shot down in flames by other people.
  • Often completely oblivious to the physical world. I miss physical details such as changes in my environment and occasionally 'zone out' or get lost in thoughts/fantasies to the point I forget where I am temporarily.
  • On the potentially Fi-Si loop front I am hopelessly caught up in the past, constantly relive past events and criticise myself for them then use these past experiences an excuse to avoid future experiences 'just in case it turns out the same'. I miss my childhood. I don't deal well with change as I look at the past with rose coloured glasses and wish things could go back to how they always were, but at the time was desperate for change and had a 'grass is greener' mentality.

Hope all this makes sense. Happy to answer any additional questions :)