• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP or INFP?

jdool894

Hello! I've been having a hard time figuring out if I'm INTP or INFP, and I'm hoping you guys can provide me with some insights, maybe point out some things that I'm not seeing. Thus far, most of of my testing has left me with the INTP type, but their are a number of reasons that I've grown skeptical of this conclusion.

1. I don't trust the tests that I've taken. Most of the questions refer to behavior and interests (which I think correspond more with enneagrams (nurture)). In other words, they tend to look at content rather than structure--and I believe structure is what the cognitive functions are about.

2. I majored in philosophy--and I took it pretty seriously. My training in philosophy either developed my Ti to a large extent or conditioned me to mimick the way in which Ti operates. I'm highly-skeptical, and am good at seeing things from a multitude of perspectives. However, I'm also disinclined toward the Ti project (at least, what I keep seeing associated with Ti). That is, the orientation towards building some sort of 'unified theory' (of course, it could be something less ambitious, but theory-oriented nonetheless). I can appreciate appreciate such theories from a aesthetic standpoint, and as interpretations, and as useful tools--but, as it stands, I don't see myself doing that with my life.

3. When I look at the past few years (I recently graduated from college), my life shouts 'INTP'. However, whenever I look at my life as a whole, I seem to be more INFP, and it's just my enneagrams that keep changing. I looked at excerpts from Nurture by Nature, and the INFP childhood description reminds me much more of myself (although I'm not sure how accurate those descriptions are. For those who have read the book or excerpts, did the descriptions of your type's childhood ring true?)

3. Then again, could it be that my formative years were spent in an environment inconducive to my INTP nature? Could it be that the shitty schooling system kept me from realizing how much I loved to learn until I'd finally entered college?

4. In my formative years, I was romantic, idealistic, and self-sacrificing--all of which seem like fitting descriptors for the INFP. I wrote a lot, and in a very romantic way that kind of makes me feel nauseous in retrospect. I crushed hard on the opposite sex and put them on a pedestal. I was obsessed with my goals/dreams, and ignored any evidence that contradicted my beliefs.

5. I don't identify with many of the descriptions of the INFP that I've seen online. They're often described as people highly concerned with 'positive emotion'. They're portrayed as saints, activists, people who are generally bubbling over with compassion and warmth. They're also described as highly irrational types who often put their own feelings over those of others and have little grasp on logic. Most of that is not me. I'm pretty cold and detached around most people, until I get to know them better (and that takes a long time, which, I'm aware, is also an INTP trait). However, in this way, I resemble the Fi that Jung described, particularly when he says, "It is a feeling which apparently depreciates the object; hence it usually becomes noticeable in its negative manifestations...It puts forward negative feeling-judgments or assumes an air of profound indifference, as a measure of self-defence."

I know it looks like I'm leaning toward INFP, but self-knowledge is a tricky thing. It could be that I'm just rebelling against INTP stereotypes that they're unfeeling.

This has run long enough. I'll fill in more information if y'all want me to. Thanks for reading!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this is a very nice comparison between both Ti and Fi, give it a read through and you'll probably know wether you are really INTP or INFP.

Introverted Feeling (Fi) vs Introverted Thinking (Ti)

Fi can sort of manifest like Ti sometimes. And also while Ti and Fi might seem very different on paper, they actually have a lot of natural overlap. But the stresses and focusses are different.

Biggest noticable difference between INTP's and INFP's is probably the inferior function instead. Fe vs Te.

INTP's want to fit in and accepted through being understood and understanding others, INFP's want to fit in and accepted through conforming to external expectations.

INTP's are definately more ego-centric. ;)

rav3n

INFJ is one more type to consider. Unification isn't Ti related. That's Ne.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
was obsessed with my goals/dreams, and ignored any evidence that contradicted my beliefs.

What?! If you believe that something you can do it JUST DO IT! Don't listen bs around you... ;)

I also think you are INFJ :D

jdool894

I think this is a very nice comparison between both Ti and Fi, give it a read through and you'll probably know wether you are really INTP or INFP.

Introverted Feeling (Fi) vs Introverted Thinking (Ti)

Fi can sort of manifest like Ti sometimes. And also while Ti and Fi might seem very different on paper, they actually have a lot of natural overlap. But the stresses and focusses are different.

Biggest noticable difference between INTP's and INFP's is probably the inferior function instead. Fe vs Te.

INTP's want to fit in and accepted through being understood and understanding others, INFP's want to fit in and accepted through conforming to external expectations.

INTP's are definately more ego-centric. ;)

Thanks--what you said about the inferior functions really strikes a chord with me. I'm thinking about how hard I've pushed myself in the past to conform to Te systems (if I understand Te correctly). Although I'm pretty laid back when I'm on my own, when I'm at work or doing some sort of job with others, I'm hyper-conscientious--to the point where I seem excessively anxious about being seen as competent and responsible (although, I've also seen that INTPs are really concerned with competence too). This was especially the case when I played team sports. Oddly enough, I was often regarded as one of the hardest-working players on the team--yet, deep down, I didn't really care about winning. I was just so afraid of letting my teammates down or appearing lazy. Does this sound like the work of an inferior Te?

jdool894

What?! If you believe that something you can do it JUST DO IT! Don't listen bs around you... ;)

I also think you are INFJ :D

Ha, right on! I'm pretty sure I'm not an INFJ though--my Fe is far from preferred. I'm more concerned with the indvidual's values, even if it comes at the cost of the group's harmony. As for introverted intuition, I can't say I have a great understanding of it. By saying that I may be INFJ are you suggesting that when Fe works with Ni it may look like Fi?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks--what you said about the inferior functions really strikes a chord with me. I'm thinking about how hard I've pushed myself in the past to conform to Te systems (if I understand Te correctly). Although I'm pretty laid back when I'm on my own, when I'm at work or doing some sort of job with others, I'm hyper-conscientious--to the point where I seem excessively anxious about being seen as competent and responsible (although, I've also seen that INTPs are really concerned with competence too). This was especially the case when I played team sports. Oddly enough, I was often regarded as one of the hardest-working players on the team--yet, deep down, I didn't really care about winning. I was just so afraid of letting my teammates down or appearing lazy. Does this sound like the work of an inferior Te?

Yes, it does. :)

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ha, right on! I'm pretty sure I'm not an INFJ though--my Fe is far from preferred. I'm more concerned with the indvidual's values, even if it comes at the cost of the group's harmony. As for introverted intuition, I can't say I have a great understanding of it. By saying that I may be INFJ are you suggesting that when Fe works with Ni it may look like Fi?

Fe is about consulting the tribe not necessary harmony. For example ExTP or Ti/Fe can seek advice from someone and listen it carefully but they will never do it according to advice and they actually proud of it because they access their logic in subjective level (Ti <- very aware how smart they are ) and emotions in objective level (Fe <- search for approve in relationships like respect and stuff).

INFJ is also perfectionist (Ni) and because Fe comes first then Ti (no matter of smart awareness) they tend to ignore their values (logic) for the sake of the tribe. ;)