• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ trapped in the body of an ISTJ?

Curtis_Brandon

MBTI Type
IST?
Interesting about the discordia test result. Lots of ISTPs seem to initially test as INTJ.

Look here for a small overview:
ISTP - INTP/INTJ

A really good way to figure out your type is to look through these descriptions and find out which suits you most in terms of content and style.
ISTJ
INTJ
ISTP (Keep in mind that 'J' does not necessarily mean what you think it means.)

Wow, may I really be an ISTP? I can identify with both the ISTJ and ISTP descriptions fairly equally, but I've never thought of myself as a P before.

However after thinking about it more, I realize that I plan/organize very little, often start (and fail to finish) multiple projects, and often procrastinate until the pressure is on.

The only planning I do is for A) a complex project, B) a meeting/event that many people must attend, and C) my day (but usually not until the morning of, and at the very earliest the day before). In fact my thoughts on planning seem to match these fairly closely.

My J side may come from having a mother and father who are both very J oriented. When I was younger and living with them, I had to fit into a J world. But now that I am older and live on my own (I'm 25 now), I find that I plan very little and organize even less. For example, I don't budget or keep a detailed record of expenses, etc. Instead, I prefer to have a general idea of how much money I can spend in a month and just keep a very rough estimate of it all in my head.

On the flip side, in a work environment I like to know what is expected of me and be given a clear direction (although not necessarily instructions) for a given project. And (in work or in life), I don't like others to interrupt/change/throw a loop in my flexible plan (I don't know if this makes sense).

So I don't know. IST?

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
On the flip side, in a work environment I like to know what is expected of me and be given a clear direction (although not necessarily instructions) for a given project. And (in work or in life), I don't like others to interrupt/change/throw a loop in my flexible plan (I don't know if this makes sense).

Preferring stability in your external environment is more indicative of introversion than anything else. Strong introverts, in particular, prefer to be left to their thoughts and not have to deal with pandemonium every second of every day; even the Ps.

This is all based on what I've seen, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Usehername said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that all these type descriptors are (genearally) written by xNxx types, which means xSxx types get slightly shafted in descriptions sometimes.
And not even because they're looking down on S types, but because of the rift in communication and understanding. It's difficult to see one from the other's perspective.

My J side may come from having a mother and father who are both very J oriented. When I was younger and living with them, I had to fit into a J world. But now that I am older and live on my own (I'm 25 now), I find that I plan very little and organize even less. For example, I don't budget or keep a detailed record of expenses, etc. Instead, I prefer to have a general idea of how much money I can spend in a month and just keep a very rough estimate of it all in my head.

So I don't know. IST?
I think you've analyzed this pretty well. You may indeed be a P by nature, but have learned over time how to deal with J-style conditions and activities (or something like that). Maybe you are an ISTP...

Last edited:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Discordia: ISTP
Humanmetrics: INTJ
That's interesting.
The I and the T is consistent, but the other two are not.

The thing I have always thought about these tests is that if a person doesn't understand the context in which the question is couched, it's difficult to understand which answer to give.
Writing the "perfect test" is indeed a challenge.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Still ISTJ. An ISTP doesn't just fit freely into a "J World" because they're supposed to.