• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ trapped in the body of an ISTJ?

Curtis_Brandon

MBTI Type
IST?
Lately I've been reading through many websites and posts on this forum to try to figure out whether I'm an ISTJ or INTJ. Based on what I've read, it seems to me like I act like an S but think and process like an N, but I'm not sure (and am not sure if this is even possible). Here's some of my traits for being an N or S:

Arguments for INTJ:
-Don't like to do something just because it is tradition to do it.
-Process/remember an environment based on what I thought about something I noticed, not just based on pure observation. Example: If I'm spending Friday night with some friends and someone new arrives, I'll notice that he seems to have had a few drinks already and is trying to hit on this girl instead of the fact that he was wearing a blue shirt and khakis.
-Along the same lines, am bad at noticing/remembering sensing-based facts (hair color, name, etc.)
-Like to analyze (hence my continual analysis of which type I am), critique, problem-solve, and look beyond the bare facts.
-Somewhat scattered in how I live (my room) and how I think
-Am reliable, but only if others strongly expect me to be somewhere/to something (This one could possibly go either way).

Arguments for ISTJ:
-Don't like change for the sake of change
-Respect and don't question authority/rules
-Loyal and hard worker
-Like to think practically instead of theoretically (most of the time)
-Not creative
-When I've found a way of doing something that works for me, I don't want to change it.

I've taken multiple MBTI tests, however, as I am seeking a second opinion, I don't want to prejudice your opinions based on what these tests said. Let me know what you think.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
This is very interesting....I can't help you though, because I don't know enough.
I relate to some of the N things you mentioned. I'm pretty sure I'm an S though.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get the feeling he's an ISTJ. This sounds a lot like me. What I mean is that I can identify with a lot of that. Of course, I'm using strictly scientific analysis.... :tongue:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Would you mind humoring me?

Here are a couple of tests I like.
This one is harder to skew because there's 3 choices for each question.
Discordia Inc.
This is a longer test which I think provides greater opportunity for accuracy.
Humanmetrics

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
You sound very much like me. Most of your INTJ points apply, too. I vote ISTJ.

Last edited:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
IMO, if you were an INTJ you wouldn't give much consideration to being an ISTJ. But I could see an ISTJ wondering if they were an INTJ. But that's just based on my experience.

redacted

Most likely ISTJ. Everyone uses all four of Intuition, Sensing, Feeling, Thinking all the time. The fact that you have some intuitive traits doesn't stop you from being an S.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Besides, you can keep observing and collecting information until you can identify which one you are. You could make it an ongoing project. :D Right?

Curtis_Brandon

MBTI Type
IST?
Would you mind humoring me?

Here are a couple of tests I like.
This one is harder to skew because there's 3 choices for each question.
Discordia Inc.
This is a longer test which I think provides greater opportunity for accuracy.
Humanmetrics

Thanks for the advice. I actually took both of those tests before I started the thread. Both tests said I was an S (Actually, the discordia test said that I was ISTP, which is the only MBTI test that I've ever taken to type me as a P. J is usually my strongest trait. I'll just assume that it was an anomaly.).

Curtis_Brandon

MBTI Type
IST?
Thanks for the responses. Like most of the tests, all of you typed me as an ISTJ. I think that's probably my correct type. Based on researching some more, I've realized that I can identify with everything that is used to describe ISTJs (more or less), but, while I strongly identify with some parts of descriptions for INTJs, I also strongly disagree with other parts.

I guess I'm an ISTJ with a strong/well developed N, which seems to put me in good company.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Interesting about the discordia test result. Lots of ISTPs seem to initially test as INTJ.

Look here for a small overview:
ISTP - INTP/INTJ

A really good way to figure out your type is to look through these descriptions and find out which suits you most in terms of content and style.
ISTJ
INTJ
ISTP (Keep in mind that 'J' does not necessarily mean what you think it means.)

MBTI Type
ENTP

What's so weird about being amazingly competent in the things you don't prefer? For instance, I am really good at identifying things that I perceive through my 5 senses. Also, I laugh or smile when I'm amused or happy and cry when I'm really sad...and sometimes I make decisions quickly but other times I don't. I guess you just can't understand those of us who are great at everything. That's ok.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think you're an ISTJ.
The things you use to describe the INTJ are also ISTJ traits.
ISTJ's don't simply follow tradition for the sake of tradition.
I don't think even Keirsey (the guy who coined the "Guardians") believed that.

Usehername

On a mission
Another thing to keep in mind is that all these type descriptors are (genearally) written by xNxx types, which means xSxx types get slightly shafted in descriptions sometimes. There are books out there with better theory and insights than the online stuff.

(And the humanmetrics test online is very skewed to make people get N results, so if people get S, I am very inclined to think that's accurate.)

ISTJs are pretty cool. It's a good type. :)