• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Give me your best analysis. INxx?

Void Winter

Enneagram
5w4
Just joined this forum. I've been lurking personality forums for quite some time for info, but this is the first time I'm posting.
I have an idea of what bucket I might fall into, but I'm wondering what you think as well:

I’ve been pretty into personality theory for a few years now, including MBTI, enneagram, cognitive functions etc. Although I’ve tested as INTP on the MBTI test, I’ve also tested as INTJ. Personally, I think I’ve developed some neurotic J tendencies by growing up in a strict household and wiring myself to excel in school and college so I could secure a successful future for myself and prosper. Or maybe I do have an extroverted judging function - I’ve always been pretty neat and organized.

But yes, although I’ve tested as INTP, I exclusively test as being Ni-dominant on cognitive function tests. I’ve looked into INFP and INFJ as well. In a way, I feel like I could be any of the INxx types. I have the habit of getting absorbed in deep abstract thought frequently and disconnecting from reality (seemingly Ni?), but lack the apparent identification of a singular truth or goal in favor of multiple possibilities (Ne). I feel like we really can’t have absolute objective knowledge, and I question why anyone can be so certain about what they think or say so frequently since they are human and are subjective by default. It seems like judgements can always be incorrect in some way because they are missing a vital piece of information or a different perspective.

To make things more complicated, I have many feeler tendencies as well. Although I would never join a cause/crusade (I despise large groups of people and herd mentality), I nonetheless feel like I have strong values. Some things inexplicably feel fucked up and wrong to me, and I cannot stand them. At the same time, it seems as if I can literally feel the emotions of others and it’s overwhelming. This drives me to avoid a lot of conflict and large groups of people. Although by default I have an intense and emotionless look on my face, I genuinely try to be kind to people and feel compassion for them when they are hurt mentally or physically. Seeing the things people are capable of made me very misanthropic in my past, as well as very distrusting of others and their motives.

I strongly dislike loud noises and get easily overstimulated. I also tend to get obsessed with certain topics - take the MBTI for example. I’ve analyzed it exhaustively and gone down the rabbit hole a few times, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I will never really know my type. Sure, we have models of cognitive function stacks, but who really made these and why are they valid? Is there a direct correspondence to the cognitive functions and certain neural processes in the brain that can be mapped? What if the cognitive functions are completely wrong and we are attempting to conform to a false system? I already know the MBTI isn’t a perfect system etc etc.

Strongly relating to the 5w4 enneagram (which I’m far more certain of, although I definitely relate to 6, 8, and 3 to some extent as well), maybe it’s the case that I’m simply trying to find a stronger sense of identity by conforming myself to an externalized system. Sometimes I think I’m certainly one type and feel sort of relieved that I’ve acquired closure on this and eventually I go back to questioning it and restart the cycle. I shift perspectives on this - maybe it's the fact that I am trying to solidify my sense of self or maybe I just enjoy the challenge and simulation that comes along with it.

I work as a software engineer. Although I disliked many of the CS classes I took (I certainly found some to be interesting), I pushed through so I could earn a practical degree, support myself, and survive. Languages and writing have always come naturally to me, and although I went pretty far in college math, it was something I had to really work for compared to some people in those classes who seemed to be born with the knowledge from day one of their lives. At my job, I despise working through most of the errors I encounter - reading hundreds of lines of a detailed stack trace to solve a dependency or configuration issue. This isn’t some fun puzzle to me like it would be to others - I get overwhelmed with the details and just want the thing to fucking work so I can accomplish my tasks for the day. I enjoy the theoretical aspects of CS, but doing things like this at work usually drains me. Something I’m working on is patience and persistence when it comes to this.

I'm very self preserving and private - I actually feel sort of uncomfortable writing all of this for random people on the internet to see lol. I also frequently have ideals in mind of the person I want to become and work to fulfill them, but I inevitably fall short due to perfectionist tendencies.

Philosophy and psychology are extremely interesting to me. I find myself fascinated by people, but at the same time, I want to withdrawal from them. When in a room with others, I feel like I'm the only one observing and taking in the essence of people, which sometimes distracts me from the discussion or main topic at hand.

Thoughts?

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on this, I'd think you're INTP. If you forget about the J/P aspect for a moment, how well do you relate to INTJ and INTP type descriptions? What about INFJ and INFP type descriptions?
(You might enjoy reading about Dario Nardi's work, btw)

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Ti-Ne at some point have so much knowledge that at same point you can see what Ni-dominant see.
From my point of view , The J life style gave you alot of stress , chill out xD.

Metis

I have the habit of getting absorbed in deep abstract thought frequently and disconnecting from reality (seemingly Ni?)

That's not Ni. I think that's a common Ti/Ne or Ne/Ti thing. Maybe others do it too; I'm not sure.