• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do opposite types react with each other?

ScarlettGem05

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
One of my best friends is an ESFJ, and we get on very well, though I have met other ESFJs that I just do not mix with. Do opposites really attract? Or could opposite-type relationships and friendships end disastrously?

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've seen it go both ways. It really depends on the maturity of the individuals involved and the circumstances under which they interact. Both seem to attract each other, as most people love others who share and can converse about their interests or feel understood around and just as much love meeting an individual with the novelty of thinking very differently from them. In the end, mbti has very little to do with compatibility.

á´…eparted

passages
The few ISTP's I have gotten to know (online and off) tend to have so few common interests that I find them uninteresting and unstimulating. Not a bad thing, just no connection forms. I am sure the feeling is mutual too.

Lyra.I

First of Her Name
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Opposite in what sense, the dichotomy? The type opposite to you has the same functions as you (in reverse order) so they're actually not as "opposite" as you'd think. I know only one ISTJ personally, and while we prefer very different life-styles, i've observed many similarities in the way we think and she understands me pretty well when i tell her about myself, we get along fine. I respect her self-discipline and how reliable she is when it comes to work. And also the fact that she has her system of values that she sticks to. One thing that can get annoying about her is that she's pretty bad at reading the room, she doesn't realize what to say and what not to say or WHEN to say/not say it. I've been helping her out with that, she's much less awkward with that now.

I think the type i get along with the least is ESFJs (and ESTPs maybe XD) But i realize that my perception of them so far is limited to my experiences with the few real life examples of them i've met who i didn't get along with and so i try not to project it onto the types as a whole. i'd love to meet some nicely developed versions of them :)

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find a satisfaction with people who are opposite type of me in function stackings. It's like they embody the controlled version of whom I turn into when I am in the grip of the shadow.

If you look at your true opposite, people who's functions are just completely off of what you are, then there is more often than not... a complete disconnect. But even then it's more about just how two people interact than anything else.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some ESTP’s are fun to hang out with. We both know there’s not a perfect connection between us but it can be nice from time to time.

It’s like we have a unspoken truce between us that somehow we’re there for each other when the going gets real but it’s like we don’t interact often.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
My friend is ISFP as well my brother and we have a grate time. It sounds like you talk with gentle myself. :)