• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTJ and the profiles associated with them

HorrorFan

I have taken the official mbti test. I scored a entj.
The cognitive functions for entj fit me the most as do some descriptions.
But when I read online profiles some of it doesn't seem to fit me personally.
For instance it seems entj like the corporate world and follow most rules.
Me on the other hand id never want to work in the corporate world and I question rules and bend them all the time. If it doesn't make sense or I just don't like them I will bend or question them. I've been pretty rebellious in my life and still am.

-i work in retail as a lead and my manager asks me to arrange product a certain way that to me seems dumb. So I do it my way instead and the other employees agree my way makes the most sense. But sadly my manager has me do it his way but 5 days later he asks me to re do it and it's the same way I tried telling him before. It's always like that. I'll do it my way,he has me do it his way and later I'm redoing back to my version.
I question things a lot and it causes a lot of tension but I know I can be more efficient and see how things should look. I hate retail btw working with the public is excruciating and my management is incompetent a lot of the time. My manager says one thing and later isn't even following his rule but is pushing it on every one else. I've always butted heads with parents,teachers,employees for trying my way and questioning there's. I'm not saying I believe all rules are stupid, some are there for a good reason and should be followed.
-another thing I notice is entj parenting seems to come off strict. For me and my kids that's not that true. I encourage my kids to explore and learn for themselves. I want them to be independent not dependent. One of kids she's very artsy and paints all over furniture which is fine by me. I encourage her to do what makes her happy. I obviously wouldn't let them do stupid things and I do have some guidelines for them like they must finish all homework and chores before anything else. But I'm not strict with them only if really need be.
-im very goofy with my kids and wife. I like making people laugh. Im a gamer,table top gamer,i love writing and reading fantasy and horror. I waste time reading movie facts and gaming lore. I sing out loud and play air guitar for fun. With movies and tv shows I tend to relate to estp and entp characters and my wife brings up how some characters in movies remind her of me but most arent entj but she totally agrees with entj being my type from what she reads. I relate to the cognitive functions for it but the profile typing I don't fully agree.
-i am someone who likes to be in charge.
I'm assertive and don't back down.
I tend to trial and error when learning. I need to try it and solve the problem.

Is it possible to be like this and be entj still?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have taken the official mbti test. I scored a entj.
The cognitive functions resignates with me quite a bit as do some descriptions.
But when I read online profiles some of it doesn't seem to fit me personally.
For instance it seems entj like the corporate world and follow most rules.
Me on the other hand id never want to work in the corporate world and I question rules and bend them all the time. If it doesn't make sense or I just don't like them I will bend or question them. I've been pretty rebellious in my life and still am.

-i work in retail as a lead and my manager asks me to arrange product a certain way that to me seems dumb. So I do it my way instead and the other employees agree my way makes the most sense. But sadly my manager has me do it his way but 5 days later he asks me to re do it and it's the same way I tried telling him before. It's always like that. I'll do it my way,he has me do it his way and later I'm redoing back to my version.
I question things a lot and it causes a lot of tension but I know I can be more efficient and see how things should look. I hate retail btw working with the public is excruciating and my management is incompetent a lot of the time. My manager says one thing and later isn't even following his rule but is pushing it on every one else. I've always butted heads with parents,teachers,employees for trying my way and questioning there's. I'm not saying I believe all rules are stupid, some are there for a good reason and should be followed.
-another thing I notice is entj parenting seems to come off strict. For me and my kids that's not that true. I encourage my kids to explore and learn for themselves. I want them to be independent not dependent. One of kids she's very artsy and paints all over furniture which is fine by me. I encourage her to do what makes her happy. I obviously wouldn't let them do stupid things and I do have some guidelines for them like they must finish all homework and chores before anything else. But I'm not strict with them only if really need be.
-im very goofy with my kids and wife. I like making people laugh. Im a gamer,table top gamer,i love writing and reading fantasy and horror. I waste time reading movie facts and gaming lore. With movies and tv shows I tend to relate to estp and entp characters and my wife brings up how some characters in movies remind her of me but most arent entj but she totally agrees with entj being my type from what she reads. I relate to the cognitive functions for it but the profile typing I don't fully agree? Is it possible to be like this and be entj still?

I think the MBTI descriptions are very linear.

NTs don't like rules we don't understand, it's not in our nature to follow them unless they make sense to us, though alot of NTs end up following rules because, most of the time, the cost of disobeying outweights the cost of obeying. I'm into fantasy and horror as well, though I am not as involoved in gaming as you are, I don't think this is type related...

I relate to what you wrote, though I am more into socionics than mbti, and not one hundred percent sure of my type even there.

Best of luck in your self-discovery.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hi, I'm glad you had the time to write about your experiences.
I've come off as ENTJin the official MBTItest as well, and likewise, I find many discrepancies between the descriptions and myself. In all probability, MBTI isn't a good system for me, meaning it won't describe me much or help me much or anything of the sort. Maybe some mediocre help or insight but that's that.

Another possibility for me would be the ENTP, but this doesn't offer a solution, for the discrepancies between me and that description is even greater.

You mentioned the corporate world. I've mostly fit very well withing the structures of governmental organizations and private businesses and I've done pretty well. Various tests list me as almost 100% anti-authoritarian which means I tend to support independence in thought and action and I too get in trouble with my bosses quite often.People tend to put and keep me in charge though. If the people aren't choosing a leader for themselves though, but for some other people, they tend not to choose me.

I tend to have good amount of fun and laughter in my life as well. I value my sense of humor. I'm an internet junkie, using time reading court reports on online databases, discussing some detailed topics on the forums, playing online games and stuff like that. People say my presense off-line is intimidating. I'm welcoming for a selected group of people, but most don't fall into that category. I give my professional respect for people I can work with and I treat them with respect and kindness.

People often tell me they've been scared of me, they would never think of messing around with me and they would never come to me with some sub-standard propositions or business deals. They get the sense I'm not interested of wasting my time or effort for unworthy goals.

Intelligent people often feel comfortable with me and they don't feel themselves too "judged" by me. That's the type of person I find myself most associating with.

To answer your question, yeah, you do sound like an ENTJ to me for what I know.

Mesmeric_Moon

Soul Reaver
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No system is ever going to provide a descrption that fits you perfectly or anyone else whatever their type may be/whichever system they might use.

Lark

No system is ever going to provide a descrption that fits you perfectly or anyone else whatever their type may be/whichever system they might use.

yeah, and in my experience the typing will change over time and depending on the context you find yourself in, it'd be interesting if someone had done a longitudinal study in which they took the quizes results without letting the outcomes be known over the years and then did a comparative study of the outcomes.

Digital Lion

You sound like an ENTJ to me, dude. This is something I had been thinking a lot about lately regarding myself and it was frustrating the hell out of me because I hate things being left open-ended and unresolved.

When being typed, it's important to remember that one's environment, as in how one is treated and how one reacts to his environment, plays a significant role in how we tend to perceive ourselves. Alongside early life experiences that put harsh limits on my dominant extroverted thinking (making me appear more introverted than I was), I was surrounded by people I thought were anti-intellectual, hyper authoritarian, narrow minded, incurious, inefficient, ineffective and overall, a complete buzzkill and drain on my energy, thereby causing me to further withdraw into myself (and rely more heavily on my introverted intuition) and become avoidant, antisocial and misanthropic, which further led me to believe that I must be introverted. And subsequently, I was constantly mistyping as an INTJ.

But after I escaped off to college, I encountered more like minded individuals and came alive like a refurbished war tank. For a long time, I perceived myself as more socially awkward than how I actually come off to people. Their first impression of me tends to be that I'm aloof, distant and standoffish until I 1.) click with them energetically or 2.) they say something that piques my interest. Then, a more vibrant, engaging, sometimes bulldozing and confrontational energy takes hold. According to others I've consulted, my energy tends to manifest in a space as either a furnace or a freezer, a fullness or a vacuum and either way, I will be noticed.

As a brief aside, I will always prefer meaty, substantive goal-minded interactions/dialogues over small talk but I actually don't mind entertaining inconsequential, fluffy pop culture-centric shit, provided it eventually goes somewhere deeper. So if we're just going to discuss the Kardashians and their inane goings-on at face value, expect me to immediately flatline and kinetically dematerialize, leaving in its a wake a hauntingly ubiquitous, yet hollow spectre. lol But if, for example, the dialogue veers into discussing them in terms of social media and dubiously ethical consumerism or commercialized, for-profit racial fetishization (lol), then I'm more apt to participate. The point being, even in the seemingly vapid and meaningless, matter and substance can be found and mounted if so inclined. I'm ostensibly and palpably energized by debating/confronting/analyzing/tunneling for truth, clarity, greater understanding and deeper meaning with those sufficiently capable of generating thoughtful insights. Moreover, in general, I fucking love to talk about what I know and/or eagerly learn stuff I don't know in real time. I seriously live for that "Aha!" moment of clarity that often comes about with the right mix of environmental/internal "stimulants."

But what I've come to learn is that it isn't the quantity of my associations and interactions that either dampens or galvanizes my energy, but the quality of them. NTJs don't suffer fools gladly, particularly when they stifle the efficiency by which we reach our goals, and when this happens, it can really be demoralizing and make us despise interacting with "dullards and peons" altogether. I think I need space and alone time to a degree, and especially to ruminate, reevaluate and decompress, but after a short while, I find myself yearning to engage, but again, only with people/places/things/interests and concerns I'm passionate for or curious about. The ENTJ "leading" narrative only works for me if I'm leading smart, capable, creative people. If not, the idea of leading turns me off.

I also loathe the traditional and stereotypical "corporate" environment (which, actually, seems to be more of an ESTJ fantasy than anything else) and thus the ENTJ corporate leaning type descriptions and depictions have also misled me in doubting my type. Our leading cognitive functions may do well in such an environment, but that doesn't mean it's the best and only way for us to utilize our potential. I currently work for a think tank that operates more like a progressive, "depressurized" dot.com and I have never been happier and more fulfilled in my life. I feel empowered and ENTJs must feel empowered in whatever we do or else we wilt.

When it comes to core interests and delights, 1.) I'll act like a bawdy, irreverent, self-deprecating fucking fool to whomever will allow it, 2.) am a karaoke king and choir singer, 3.) will write, read and watch copious amounts of sci-fi, fantasy, horror and anything informative or knowledge based, 4.) run an adventure travel blog in between 5.) kickboxing and krav magra classes 6.) and in one moment, may sadistically revel in making those deserving of it simultaneously cry and shit themselves while in the next, shed a single thug tear at those damn St. Jude Children's Hospital commercials. The types I get along best with are ENTPs, INTJs, ESTPs, ISTPs, ENFPs and the occasional ENFJ.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
If you are ENTJ consider these types: ESTP(primary Se-Ti) ISTP (secondary [Ti-Ni]) INTJ (introvert mistake) ESTJ (N mistake) ;)

Don't like rules = NT. Don't make me laugh.
xSTP don't like rules. Infact they are mayor rule brakers.

The ENTJ "leading" narrative only works for me if I'm leading smart, capable, creative people. If not, the idea of leading turns me off.

No. ENTJ lead people because others see in them "something". They can push others to undiscover limits so they can help them to make their dreams come true... They are GENERALS. ;)

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also loathe the traditional and stereotypical "corporate" environment (which, actually, seems to be more of an ESTJ fantasy than anything else) and thus the ENTJ corporate leaning type descriptions and depictions have also misled me in doubting my type. Our leading cognitive functions may do well in such an environment, but that doesn't mean it's the best and only way for us to utilize our potential. I currently work for a think tank that operates more like a progressive, "depressurized" dot.com and I have never been happier and more fulfilled in my life. I feel empowered and ENTJs must feel empowered in whatever we do or else we wilt.

I relate to most of what you wrote and felt like commenting on this part.

Corporate "culture" is not for people who are innovative, imaginative, and willing to take risks. It is more for people who want a stable salary and fit in with the norm. It seems very TeSi/FeSi to me.

I personally would love to work with finance and business, but not "corporate culture". I would rather be able to make decisions myself if I lose, then it's on me, if I win, it's to my credit. I don't think TeNi likes corporate culture at all, but I think we do thrive on the kind of challenges business can provide if we are in a position of leadership and/or follow a vision which we believe in.

That isn't to say all ENTJ will work in business, far from it, they can work in any field so long as it provides those challenges.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp

Corporate "culture" is not for people who are innovative, imaginative, and willing to take risks. It is more for people who want a stable salary and fit in with the norm. It seems very TeSi/FeSi to me.

No. Stable job and salary as well free flats, education and health-cere only exist in communism...:D

Digital Lion

No. ENTJ lead people because others see in them "something". They can push others to undiscover limits so they can help them to make their dreams come true... They are GENERALS. ;)

Yeah, I agree with this. It's my instinct to recognize/reconcile problems and potentials and therefore, somewhat intrusively impose my vision of corrective structure and order on people's lives but it's maddening and fatiguing to be consistently resisted/undermined by those who are too sensitive/narrow-minded/stubborn/dumb. In the past, resistance only served to make me more determined to have my way and accomplish my objectives to the point of harming relationships and creating negative perceptions that subsequently put stifling limits on my effectiveness.

In hindsight, I can see that my sometimes harrying and aggressive way of "getting things done" was too heavy-handed and intimidating and always bordered on contemptuous condescension (lol), and so I've consciously worked on better utilizing my Ni (to intuit and foresee favorable behavioral outcomes) and developing my Fi (to better empathize) more thoroughly and have learned how to soften/adjust my approach to suit the various personalities. Nevertheless, I still prefer to lead those who are more inclined towards my particular brand of leadership...and they usually tend to be smart, capable and creative...and not so "touchy-feely." lol

I personally would love to work with finance and business, but not "corporate culture". I would rather be able to make decisions myself if I lose, then it's on me, if I win, it's to my credit. I don't think TeNi likes corporate culture at all, but I think we do thrive on the kind of challenges business can provide if we are in a position of leadership and/or follow a vision which we believe in.

That isn't to say all ENTJ will work in business, far from it, they can work in any field so long as it provides those challenges.

Absolutely agreed.

I think ESTJs and ESFJs move up the corporate ladder quicker and at a steadier pace than ENTJs because they are more willing to tow the line and consistently carry out proven and reliable methods whereas ENTJs tend to take sporadic but greater leaps up the ladder (eventually landing at the top), particularly upon proving the effectiveness of their strategies and the strength of their visions in procuring favorable outcomes. Not to slight SJs whatsoever, but what works, and what has worked, aren't always the most efficient and productive ways of doing things--being ready and willing to think outside the box and take well thought out and mitigated risks have always been and will always be essential to mega success in the business world. ENTJs tend to be the visionaries and ESXJs keep the ship afloat. Both are vital.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I make a better leader than most ENTJs.

That's my own bias speaking, I understand they probably have a different idea of what equates to good leadership.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would agree though that the profiles don't really do them justice. They often make ENTJs sound like ESTP-ESTJ hybrids. I suspect most ExTJ profiles are not written by ExTJs.